Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How late in the season till you call it quits?

bcoppess23

Never winterize ride/ski usually virtually every month during winter.

Malibudude,

You really suck, and I mean that in the nicest way! :biggrin:

Never winterize ride/ski usually virtually every month during winter.

+1, except I have to winterize between trips to the river, still will get no less than once a month in though

I am limited by water freezing. Which it tends to do up here :)

My biggest problem now is finding friends with enough balls to come with me until freeze up.

If I did not have a heated garage I would already have winterized.

I'll be pulling the boat the weekend of the 13th this year. Usually we go into early November but I have a few hunting trip coming up and next weekend looks like the only time I'll have to get her out of the water. I hope to ski once or twice more but if not it has been a great season!

I ride until ice forms - literally. I have a dry suit and people in the boat just dress accordingly. We have a ski hill around here. If people can go boarding down a hill in freezing cold temperatures, they better be able to bundle up and sit in a boat even if the air temp is in the 30's.

I believe my record low so far was 36 water / 42 air. I go out as soon as the ice leaves too. Dry suit, neoprene gloves, CT boots, and a little neoprene skull cap is all you need and you can go until ice forms. I will admit however I ride more conservatively as the year progresses. I still get out, but I'm not itching to take a digger when the water is that cold.

Edit: Short answer, about thanksgiving around here.

Edited by wakeboarder3780

My biggest problem now is finding friends with enough balls to come with me until freeze up.

That's our problem too.....nobody to go out with us. We usually end up bribing someone with Fireball (the cinnamon flavored liquor). Love that stuff.

I haven't had to winterize since we moved into our new house 5yrs ago. We built a toy garage to hold the boat and RV, so I don't need to winterize either one. It makes it convenient to be able to head down to the river at any time if the weather and schedules cooperate over the winter.

Some people have some balls! I thought it was something to be on the water at air temps of 50 and water at 60.. That makes me want to man up some and go even longer now.

Do you get worried that temps fall below freezing for a few hours at night with an non-winterized boat?

It all depends on weather and schedule for me. Have ridden in December and January, wanted to hit Jan 1st this year but weather did not cooperate. My ski buddy and I are contemplating every month if we can pull it off. Lake Sammamish doesn't (usually) freeze at all, the biggest hassles are that launch docks were underwater (resolved- a couple of new docks are there) and when it gets a little warm (say upper 40's/50's) there tends to be bug hatches and a bazillion (look for that number in the next presidential debate) green bugs with lots of guts that smash all over the place.

Edited by MalibuTime
martinarcher

We usually go into Dec. The water is usually in the low 40's when we're done. The days the air is cold is really rough. It's bad when you get brain freeze from the ski's spray on your forehead. :lol:

This year I'm hoping to have the new Teakgate out a few times for testing before calling it a season. :)

We usually go into Dec. The water is usually in the low 40's when we're done. The days the air is cold is really rough. It's bad when you get brain freeze from the ski's spray on your forehead. :lol:

This year I'm hoping to have the new Teakgate out a few times for testing before calling it a season. :)

Get a neoprene hood. It looks dorky, and makes it sound like you are skiing in a tunnel, but it really helps with the brain freeze.

• Like 1

What's The difference between downhill skiing and boating in cold ? One is I can't find anyone to boat in the cold.

In California I can usually get one or two 65 to 70 days over winter.

Last year me and a buddy demo'd a new MXZ which he ended up buying second week of december in Kelowna BC. Water temp was 36 air had to be less then 30 because it was snowing pretty hard. The worst part was getting out of my wet suit to get into the truck when we were done.

Live to surf - I hear you.. finding a willing crew is tough, but the conditions are amazing with no one else out.

Sucks just winterized last weekend as its sitting outside this year.

If youre looking for guys to get out with sometime shoot me a line - I'm in Calgary!

cheers,

If I did not have a heated garage I would already have winterized.

Water is still hovering around 70° as are the daytime temps.

Once the water cools to 60° the drysuits come out and we keep on skiing (wally-free)

• Like 2

We have dry suits and wet suits to choose from.

Early in the season we use the dry suits until the water goes above around 52. The coldest combined temp I have gone was 37 water 39 air, and one morning this year the water was in the low 40s and the air was 35 - had to knock thin sheet ice off the boat cover. Needless to say I had the lake to myself - my wife drove but did not get in the water - she is a great sport.

Late in the season we use wet suits. In this case other things usually dictate the end of the season for us - other commitments and scheduling when we can go to the dealer - 2.5 hours drive from us but Smooth Water Sports is worth the trip. This year we will pull the boat next weekend :(. But we were able to start on March 26th :).

My biggest concern in the early season is freezing the block, heater core or hoses, some part of the ballast system. I have used light bulbs in the engine compartment and near the heater core and have not had any problems but I worry about it a lot. Next year I think I will buy a Boatsafe heater for the engine compartment.

Swim cap & a Protec helmet. Doesn't look any different than any other time I ride & it's as warm as the hood.

Like the swim cap idea. Hadn't thought of that. Will do next spring.

Thanks.

Last year me and a buddy demo'd a new MXZ which he ended up buying second week of december in Kelowna BC. Water temp was 36 air had to be less then 30 because it was snowing pretty hard. The worst part was getting out of my wet suit to get into the truck when we were done.

A new reference point I can use. This is the lowest combined temp I have heard of. I am impressed, not only by you guys but by the dealer who did this with you. That is commitment. I would have been scared that the boat would freeze on the trailer ride back to the shop.

Since this thread is hopping with some other folks that run super late in the season. Since there is literally no one else out and it's SO hard to find spotters, does anyone just go without a spotter? I have a hard time believing the DNR is out that time of year... I know a guy that was thinking about trying to go out with just 2, what would you say to that guy?