Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How late in the season till you call it quits?

bcoppess23

I am curious how late into the season before you call it quits for the year? What water/air temps is a no? I have a 4/3mm full body wetsuit that is supposedly rated for 45 degree water. Not sure if I want to test that temp out with a wetsuit but could be fun.. for a few minutes.

I'm in the mile high city and we usually go until the water hits 48 degrees with dry suits depending on the air temp. We can usually ski into November most years, this year we are now done due to water levels. The lakes around here just don't have any water in them. Last weekend was the last weekend for our semi-private lake which was going down fast, but still had water. We are a little depressed!!

Terry

I can go all year round. But it gets less reasonable once the water is below 50 degrees and the daytime temps are not over 60.

Air threshold for me is 60 degrees, it is just too cold in the boat otherwise! We have a few 60 degree days in January.

I called it quit last week and water temp was 61 degree and air temp was 65 degree. I would love to keep going but in the NW, the rainy season will start pretty soon and I really have a hard time convincing anyone to go with me when the air temperature can be as low as 48degree.

When I was younger the goal was to beat the hundred degree rule.... combined air & water temp.... and believe me, we've destroyed it a few times!

In the PNW it's very easy to do because the weather is so mild & there are plenty of lakes that won't freeze or go down. And if you are equipped for it.... drysuits, heater, boat blankets, shower, etc..... then it's still fun. We do the Air Santa run most every year on Christmas eve & have a great time with it..... and never have any shortage of riders wanting to come out & join us.

So what the coldest we've been out? I'd say combined temps in the 70s.... Air Santa last year was 38 degree water & about 33 degree air.

What temps am I comfortable at though? I'd say around 50 degree air & 50 degree water. It's pretty easy in a drysuit & all the right gear in the boat.

BTW, we've riden in Parker AZ in 42 degree water & 80 degree air temps. The locals thought we were nuts. But we were wearing shorts & t-shirts under the drysuit. And had great water!

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

We try and do the 90 degree rule. But like Bill already said, we killed that last Santa run. 38F water and 33F air hurt pretty bad. To top things off, it was snowing/sleeting. My face was beet red!!!!

• Like 1

We ride till we just can't take it anymore I know we have ridden at air temp 55deg water not sure but it was really cold in a wet suit. We are planing a trip to Tombigbee river in Alabama in November. Sometime even I think we are stupid but we want let the other out do us. PRIDE

We try and do the 90 degree rule. But like Bill already said, we killed that last Santa run. 38F water and 33F air hurt pretty bad. To top things off, it was snowing/sleeting. My face was beet red!!!!

I agree, Brian, it was freakin cold. But it's not even close to the coldest we've done. Jake & I did one a bunch of years ago in on Lake Washington in Seattle when it was 23 degree air & around 40 degree water. When the air temps get that cold there are a ton of problems with water & gear freezing on the boat.

About 5 yrs ago we almost did the Air Santa run in similar temps on Lake Coeur d'Alene. But luckily there was so much snow & ice everywhere that we never had to make the choice. We couldn't get the boats anywhere near the water so it was a complete bust.

we don't ski if the water is frozen.

I agree. The problem is when the water doesn't freeze..... and there are commitments to TV producers & whoever else. :Doh:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Our last day out on the water last year was October 27th. Hoping for that or even later this year, given the exceedingly warm Fall we've had.

The biggest push to put the boat away is rain more than anything for me. I have to keep the boat outside until we winterize it, and the Fall rains are hell on the factory cover. (working on getting an Evolution)

When I used to ski with Baddog, we would keep trying till the water hit 55. That would come in mid to late October. Once we even skied with 39 degree air. None of us had full wetsuits, just shorties. Since baddog moved away, a week or two after labor day ends it now.

Edited by electricjohn

We usually put away around now, we could have gone out today since the water is still in the 70's and the air is mid 80s and sunny, but this weekend will get cold! Mid 50s high and 36 low... :(

WOW!!!!

We have went as late as Jan...although this year it seems to be cooler.

We typically ride up to about Thanksgiving, then take a quick frozen bun run on New Years day of the weather is calm. Last New Years day was almost 70F air temp. Hopefully we get more of the same this year!

I will wear my 2/3 long down to 54 degrees. Then it's into the dry suit. But The water in these parts doesn't get below 55 degrees too often. We don't have to winterize either! I try to get out at least once a month in the winter.