Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power Wedge vs Floating Wedge

wakeboarder3780

I have a manual wedge today (floating variety) and it works well for my intents and purposes. I was thinking it might be nice to have the power wedge next time but I have some concerns. Regarding the power wedge...

The pros I'm hoping to gain are:

• Better wake since i'll be able to fine tune the special position that gets my motor running
  • Presets so I don't have to physically drop it myself, someone can just push a button

The cons I'm afraid of:

• Break down / maintenance (floating wedge is stupidly simple and requires no maint and never breaks down)
  • If there is a reservoir of some sort for hydraulic fluid, is it in a spot that's out of the way (anyone got a picture of where it is?)

My next boat is a ways out and I have a long time to make my choice. Just wanted to see what the crew had to say. Is there any truth to the pros I want? Can anyone provide experiences relating to the cons I'm listing?

Edited by wakeboarder3780

4 years on my 2008 no problems with power wedge ! have it on my 11 for 1 year now again no problems -love it can ride without it :)

maintainence free -have never done anything to it , except clean it .

The floating wedge is wonderful, we have one on our 2007 247 and find the dynamic operation yields a more consistent shaped wake especially when the driver can not keep a straight course. Almost all of our other Wakesetters we have owned have the power wedge and find it to be sliced bread. Push one button on the 2009-2012 and speed control is set, ballast is filling and wedge is deployed- it does not get much better then that. Highly recommend the power wedge for convenience. No more jumping back on the swim platform because you forgot to pull up the wedge is probably the best easiest justification. It would be a tough argument to say a floating wedge is better then a power wedge with the EZ deployment and incremental adjustability it offers.

Sure we see some posts on the crew that point out idiosyncrasies with wedge deployments and actuators needing to be replaced but this not the norm, only a small percentage. Statistically everything mechanical will break eventually. Go with the power wedge, you will love the ease of use. Like anything else on your boat, if it breaks fix it. Compared to a prop that runs $350 to $500 or a board that runs $350 to $600 an actuator at $150 is peanuts, less then one fill up of gas.Once you have a power wedge you will never look back.

Edited by JAXONBOATS

I am assuming the power wedge is powered by hydraulics. Is that assumption correct? If so, where is the reservoir for hydraulic fluid? Does someone have pictures? On a friends moomba, they have a hydraulic wake plate and the the hydraulic reservoir is in the port rear locker... where I typically put my 1100 lb bags... This would be a deal breaker for me. Can anyone specifically show me what the additional overhead (in space taken up) is inside the boat?

I am assuming the power wedge is powered by hydraulics. Is that assumption correct? If so, where is the reservoir for hydraulic fluid? Does someone have pictures? On a friends moomba, they have a hydraulic wake plate and the the hydraulic reservoir is in the port rear locker... where I typically put my 1100 lb bags... This would be a deal breaker for me. Can anyone specifically show me what the additional overhead (in space taken up) is inside the boat?

Not hydraulic--no hydraulic fluid used, no hydraulic reservoir. They are electric motors with a twisting gear: http://www.lencomarine.com/index.php/lenco-actuator

Edited by Cory
  • Like 1