Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What speed?

kennyo

By the way, I have an almost GUARANTEED method for improving. SKI MORE!!! I only wish I could practice what I preach!

While is all good fun and we all would like to be out there all the time, fact is if you have bad habits and don’t learn proper technique you’ll eventually get to the point…. :Frustrated:

• Like 1

Quite a few in the F class (myself included) could not consistently make a full pass. In the F class you get 4 passes or 2 falls, whichever comes first, whether you get around any buoys or not.

Quite a few in the F class (myself included) could not consistently make a full pass. In the F class you get 4 passes or 2 falls, whichever comes first, whether you get around any buoys or not.

Next time you go, ask them why the official starting line length is 75 feet and you're not getting to use all of it. This chart may help:

http://www.usawaterski.org/pages/divisions/3event/AWSASlalomBuoyQuickCountChart.pdf

OMG...now you're going to offer your opinion on what ski he should be on??

RUN KENNY...AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!

That's an appropriate question. Stop antagonizing if you disagree take it offline, last warning.

OMG...now you're going to offer your opinion on what ski he should be on??

RUN KENNY...AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!

Kendall have no idea your skills, but just because you might have different ideas or suggestions doesn't give you the right to be condescending. For what its worth, I skied in college, not a particularly good team, and taught numerous people how to run the course as the team also had to run and drive for the club. One of my buddy's who we got skiing FOUR years ago ran 35 off last year. IF you think a course beginner is best served at 15, so be it. I have had a different experience. Keep in mind, I'm not suggesting STAYING at longline, just to get the feel of not being late the entire time. Once it's run, take it off.

Kenny, if you wnat to talk skis, just PM me. I've got a pretty decent quiver and would have some ideas for a low-speed ski that could get you more excited about the course. Radar P-6 is coming to mind as is an HO burner.

I'm on the Radar Senate.

That's a pretty user friendly ski but if it sized "just right" for you right now, might not perform well at 28. If sized a little on the big side you'll be fine.

If you go 28 and you're an average sized person (if oversized don't go below 30), you WONT like the way it feels at first. However, you will get no slack, and you will get used to rounding balls, setting an edge, and then a feel for when you need to release that edge as you approach the buoy. Once you develop that sense of timing, then speed up to 30, then go to 15, then speed up. you may like speeding up more than chopping rope, might like chopping rope more than speeding up. Much depends on you and your style and your ski. ALL of my suggestions have been to get you through the course the fastest and then, "there's always another line length".

I'm on the Radar Senate.

Btw, I really do appreciate "everyone's" opinion.

I’m on the same ski. So I can tell you that that ski lights up at 32 but still very skiable at 30. Have you adjusted the skeg and fin and adjusted your binding placement?

I'm 5'7" and 150 pounds. The ski is 65". I did move the bindings forward one hole but never moved the fin forward. The wing is still on, probably should remove it. What do you think?

First of all, at your size you can definitely ski at 28 and I would highly recommend that you at least try it. It will not feel as responsive as it does now...don't worry about it, you don't need it to be as responsive to get to the buoys.

I'd take wing off, put wing AND boots in stock position for the time being. If you moved bindings forward because you were tail riding, that's a position issue you'll want to address ASAP before bandaiding it with binding movement. Once you're skiing course more, you cna move boots to fine tune but don't use that movement as a crutch for now.

Kenny, this is just my opinion and you may have results you don't like. However, stock set up is usually well-placed if body position is correct. IF you're tail-riding, get your hips up and flex your front knee some. I bet you're probbaly wearing out in 5 mins too? (well, at your weight maybe not) but I'd bet when you "pull" you feel like you're leaning but you're not moving cross course near as much as you should, almost as if you cna't pull any "harder" and you're still not "making it"? IF so, got to get more of the ski's edge in the water not just the last 30". If that were easy it'b be called wakeboarding

How is your open water skiing? What speeds are you skiing?

I started skiing the course this year too, here are a few things I'd recommend:

#1 www.Ballofspray.com great website for skiing.

here is a good thread for beginners http://www.ballofspr...o-for-beginners

#2 Ski setup: Remove your fin brake, leave the fin alone, adjust your bindings so you are comfortable and standing over your ski. I moved my front forward 1 hole, and rear back 1 hole, I'm 5'-8" 155lbs on a 65" Vice.

#3 Open water: Focus on your cut, not your turn. Do a lot of the exercises mentioned in the thread above, this will help. The cut is what gets you to the next buoy, not the turn.

#4 Driver: Be sure your driver knows what he or she is doing, a bad driver will make skiing the course much more difficult, and even a really bad OTF (I learned this the hard way). If you are using PP slalom mode, be sure your PP is calibrated properly.

#5 For the Course: I'd recommend skiing 2 mph slower than your normal open water skiing speed. At first do not try to hit the gates, start wide at one and go from there. If you miss a buoy, continue to ski the course and mirror the buoys to get your rhythm. Be sure you stay in a "stacked" position the whole time. Skiing the course you will start bad habits just to make the next ball, believe me. Once you start getting comfortable at that, start using the gates, but cut early (missing the gate) to make sure you are early to one. Then try running it thru the gate. Do not look at the next buoy, this will cause you to ski to the buoy, not come in early.

#6 Don't do more than 6 passes in one set, I usually drop after every other pass, most drop after every pass. Take a break after 6 passes, before you get hurt or pick up bad habits. Then get back out and ski again.

#7 Video yourself often and look at your technique, this will help pick up bad habits and things to focus on.

I started at 30 mph this year and am now working on 34 mph.

Edited by Joeprunc

There's really good advice given in this thread, kenny. I just started running the course this year. I free ski at 32 just for pure enjoyment, but in the course I have been focused on consistency at 28 MPH, 15 off. I have done it successfully there, so I moved it up to 30. After 3-4 attempts at 30, I finally made it. My ski seems to perform much better at 30 than 28.

I'm not going to regurgitate all the good advise here in this thread, but take it all for what it's worth. And don't be fearful of the wake behind your boat at 28. It's still pretty nice back there. I have to believe that at 28 your wake is better than mine and I don't think it's a limiting factor at all. Now, if you're running behind an old MC Stars & Stripes at that speed, then you have something to talk about.

Ball of spray is a great site for helpful information as is a good teacher. I'm fortunate to ski with a couple guys who ski well and have given me some great advice. I've never messed with the fin. Set it to stock settings and went after it.

Good luck, have fun, and you'll get it.

EDIT: I have to add that I just started on a single ski last season.

Edited by inlandlaker