Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

problem with engine! Monsoon 350 2009 help !

Gabrielwakesetter

Hi,

I have been having problems with my engine for 9 months.

Where to start...

Wakesetter VLX monsoon 350 2009 hours: 1200

It did overheat and I had to change quite a few things: Raw water pump, cleaned injectors, exhaust manifold (both), sparks. rectified the intake manifold.

After that, it worked fine! before I had a misfire that went away.

HOWEVER, I keep having a red warning in my maliview that says: SPN:4238 FMI:0 028FuelTrimShort DATA VALID BUT ABOVE NORMAL RANGE

Does anyone know what it is?? The malibi dealer in Argentina look it up in the tech manual and the code does not exist... which one is the FMI:0 the port or starboard bank??

My dealer in Argentina is not getting any help from Malibu International and it has been 9 months. If any of you know someone that I can call, please let me know!!! I will start writing letters to Malibu for their bad service. It is not acceptable that a boat from december 2009 do not get any answer and I already changed everything. Sorry I'm very frustrated. Obviously, I will look for other brand next time...Thanks

Well, it does take me 2 hours to get to the wake spot...and 2 hours back...but yes, I can not complaint about it. I use it 2-3 times a week... ;)

would you know someone that can help me with it? dealer? mechanic? priest?!?!?! Should I keep writing letters to Malibu??

jkendallmsce

Well, it does take me 2 hours to get to the wake spot...and 2 hours back...but yes, I can not complaint about it. I use it 2-3 times a week... ;)

would you know someone that can help me with it? dealer? mechanic? priest?!?!?! Should I keep writing letters to Malibu??

Skip the letters, CALL BLAKE MOORE. . Blake is the service manager at the TN plant. or try [email protected]

Blake Moore

Director of Customer Service & Warranty

[email protected]

(865) 458-7222

Edited by jkendallmsce
  • Like 1

Gabriel,

It's actually a hard code to find, as most of the DTC lists are missing it. The short definition is this :

DTC 4238 : 0 : 1157 : Closed-loop gasoline bank2 high

The long answer is that _probably_ the O2 sensor is registering too much fuel, the ECM attempted to correct it, but it has gone outside the recommended parameters. (There is a very slim chance the O2 sensor is faulty, but that's doubtful)

I would recommend that your dealer check the fuel pressure. A clogged regulator and too high of fuel pressure will set this code.

The other thing to consider, is that if the the boat is overloaded to the point where it will not reach max rpm with the throttle at WOT, this code could easily be set.

Hope that helps-

Peter

Edited by SmoothWaterMan
  • Like 2

Gabriel,

It's actually a hard code to find, as most of the DTC lists are missing it. The short definition is this :

DTC 4238 : 0 : 1157 : Closed-loop gasoline bank2 high

The long answer is that _probably_ the O2 sensor is registering too much fuel, the ECM attempted to correct it, but it has gone outside the recommended parameters. (There is a very slim chance the O2 sensor is faulty, but that's doubtful)

I would recommend that your dealer check the fuel pressure. A clogged regulator and too high of fuel pressure will set this code.

The other thing to consider, is that if the the boat is overloaded to the point where it will not reach max rpm with the throttle at WOT, this code could easily be set.

Hope that helps-

Peter

Thanks Peter.

We are taking care of Gabriel problem. We are already in touch w/ indmar to solve the issue.

Luciano (Dealer for Argentina)

It did overheat and I had to change quite a few things...

Sorry I'm very frustrated. Obviously, I will look for other brand next time...

You are troubleshooting a system because *YOU* let your boat overheat but you emotionally say next time you'll go with another brand? Every engine in every boat will need work done if you let it overheat. I understand you have an issue and that you're frustrated, but getting angry at a boat brand for an issue you created is not the answer.

I've overheated a boat before and as long as you catch it soon enough serious damage doesn't occur. In my case it was an old ruined impeller that I should have replaced sooner (notice I blame myself not the brand), are you keeping up on your maintenance? Constantly monitor your engine temps to verify its around 160. It's part of being a boat driver.

Edited by wakeboarder3780

Peter,

Thank you for your answer. I will look into that with a mechanic. I talked with someone at INDMAR this morning and told me something similar. I will take the spark plugs out tomorrow and look at them. At least now I know that the bank:0 is the even bank...(10 months waiting to get that answer...) I will PM you later this week if I need more ideas.

thanks a lot.

Wakeboarder3870,

I'm not changing brands because it overheated. I want to change brand because I don't have answers, because I have waited 10 months and still get the same red warning screen and I don't have a solution. because I already paid a lot and changed quite a few things and still have the red warning in my maliview and they don't know what it is. And in Argentina there is only one dealer. So I don't have other choice but to change brand...I know it might be a difficult problem to solve. But 10 months? I think a brand should take care of their customers a bit more.

The funny part is that you know why it did overheat? they replaced the raw waterpump (temp was up and down), and for some reason after that the Pulley Indmar Serpentine Water Circulation Pump came out!! yes, broke the screws holding it together.

I read that when you tight them too much it might happen,

or maybe they were lose. I don't know, but I had to pay to get it fixed and I didn't complain about it. (including a plane to Miami to pick up the parts myself!!!!)

However it should have been under waranty. On top of that 10 months later. I still have problems and I'm frustrated

...PM me and I can give you more details if you want. I know in the US, I would have gotten a new engine by now.

I hope to talk with someone in the US and get something. It is very frustrating...here we pay double the amount you guys pay for the boat (taxes),

so can you imagine if you pay that much ? wouldn't you expect more customer service?

sorry guys for venting my frustration.

Hopefully some Malibu representative in the US will make an effort and keep me happy with my Malibu.

• 8 years later...