Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

draining water on 08 vride

Hi all, (in advance, thanks for looking at another winterization thread).

I've read the threads on winterizing, the checklist, the pdf, the indmar manual on here and just tried it my first time last weekend. Hard part was doing this with no internet/cell connection or manuals, since boat location is remote (2 hour drive) and I bought used, so no great documentation. So I decided to take pics of my steps in case I forgot and report back to the crew for guidance. Also changed oil first time myself and planning on fogging cylinders, recharging the k&n intake and greasing the steering next weekend.

My main concern is draining the vdrive/transmission. Some references say to remove bolts and anodes as part of the draining process. Others don't. All I did was disconnect the outlet water hose from the transmission. The inlet hose connects with a 90deg elbow pointing straight up, so disconnecting the inlet house would do little for draining.

So my main questions are

1) do I need to remove bolts/anodes from my vdrive and transmission? and do I have a skivee/hurth type, my transmission pic?

2) did I miss any drainage points on the engine, (see pics below)? (engine. 340 monsoon 5.7l cat with silent ride)

Here's what I did for drainage

step1. drain outlet hose from trans

IMG_0440.jpg

step2. drain exhaust manifolds by disconnecting the quick release on this line.

IMG_0441.jpg

step3. remove impeller (no pics)

step4. disconnect raw water pump outlet tube from transmission screen/oil cooler

IMG_0439.jpg

step5. disconnect j tube

IMG_0442.jpg

step6. remove knock sensors and both drain plugs.

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

Edited by augie09

I think you are good on the engine. I don't have a v-drive but I thought there was a drain plug you have to pull to make sure it drains. When you pulled the knock sensers/drain plugs from the engine block, make sure you stick a piece of wire or small screwdriver into the holes in the block to make sure that there isn't any scale or debris blocking the hole that won't allow the water to drain completely.

If you have a heater, make sure you blow out the hoses and heater core with low pressure (less than 30 PSI) air to get the water out or you'll be changing the heater core in the spring.

Personally, I would not fog the engine if you have cats but that is a hot topic of debate here so do as you will.

there are bolts on the vdrive, several, just hate to pull the wrong one and mistakenly drain transmission fluid/ATF in my bilge. This is the one part not documented well in the manual imo, guess cause some boats are direct drive vs v drive, walter vs hurth, etc..

I'll take a clothes hanger with me next time to poke around in drain holes. just read the threads on fear of rust, so I need to put the drain plugs back in soon anyway.

That looks familiar, i just did the same thing this past weekend, seems like its that time for a bunch of us!

Seems good sofar, but i didnt see you mention taking the hoses off the impeller housing, should be okay with the impeller out, but just in case..

I'm sure you did this but on the vdrive you have those 90o plastic inserts which screw into the vdrive which you've taken the hose off. On mine one of those 90o's is pointing up so it pools up with water - i needed to suck/blow it out with air/shopvac to get it out.

This is my first time winterizing this block - and first time with a skivee - i didnt take out the anode bolts. the indmar manual is sufficiently vague, but i assume that that just for cathodic protection - and they just want you to check to ensure there is protection left. Probably a good idea as routine maintenance but i dont think that the two bolts would trap any water.

I posted (in the wrong section..) about an issue i had with winterizing the exhaust manifolds on mine ('06 hammerhead). there is a small runner that runs between the exhaust ports on the bottom of the manifold which actually doesnt drain through the quick disconnect. I think the hammerhead engine uses a unique manifold and havent seen this one before, but thought i'd mention it. Just look at your manifolds it is quick to see if there would be any pooling issues you'd need to do.

Also check shower and dripless shaft packing - those use raw water too.

I'm sure you did this but on the vdrive you have those 90o plastic inserts which screw into the vdrive which you've taken the hose off. On mine one of those 90o's is pointing up so it pools up with water - i needed to suck/blow it out with air/shopvac to get it out.

Also check shower and dripless shaft packing - those use raw water too.

I actually didn't take the inlet hose off yet, but will now. thanks.

No shower or heater for me. I haven't seen anything on winterizing the shaft packing. I'll have to look into that.

if you just have a traditional packing gland there isnt anything to winterize. But if you have a water line running to a housing (dripless style) on your driveshaft just down from the coupler you need to disconnect the line there.

there are bolts on the vdrive, several, just hate to pull the wrong one and mistakenly drain transmission fluid/ATF in my bilge. This is the one part not documented well in the manual imo, guess cause some boats are direct drive vs v drive, walter vs hurth, etc..

I'll take a clothes hanger with me next time to poke around in drain holes. just read the threads on fear of rust, so I need to put the drain plugs back in soon anyway.

I just did this. After disconnecting the transmission hoses and letting the water out I took off one of the vdrive water drain pugs. Nothing came out. I'm guessing the transmission hoses got it all out. I'll probably skip taking the vdrive plugs out next year.