Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Double hitch pulling with boat

BFWAKE75

Anyone ever double hitched your boat with another toy?

I have recently purchased a 2005 V-Ride and I also bought a pop-up camper.

My only problem when going camping and boating at the same time is getting both toys to my location.

I was thinking about pulling double. Longest drive would be about 3 hours and I would only do this for two trips a summer.

I have a person I know who pulls his 28 ft 5th wheel with a boat behind it.

Has anyone seen, have, or know someone who has made a mod to be able to double hitch?

Again just a thought I am not saying I am going to do it just saves me from getting another tow vehicle and worrying about my wife pulling.

Any advance would be great.

i know nothing about the process but i'm not convinced just how swell towing a couple of light weights would go.

throwing a heavy behind the truck w a light load behind it would make me more comfortable.

as far as buying a second tow vehicle and putting the wife to work i think i'd drive the distance twice each occasion (as seldom as you turn the trip).

second tow vehicle that gets used twice a year would be more of a pia than a help.

I don't believe that you can tow double with a bumper style hitch. I am pretty sure it has to be a fifth wheel hitch mounted in the box of the truck. At least that's the regulations where I am from. Thats why we have had a motorhome for ten years now. Easy to tow and no second vehicle to worry about.

Good luck.

I used to run this setup. Very stressful , to say the least. You better know where you are going, because it sucks to get in tight quarters. I don't think I would like the idea of towing two things close to the same weight , always want lighter in back. I knew I guy who pulled a boat with jet ski behind, so it can be done but you have to ask yourself is it worth the risk.

post-18612-0-22613900-1349150675_thumb.j

I've seen a lot of people tow doubles or triples, however you want to say it. I was going to do it with a 5th wheel and my boat. If you look at State laws, I don't think you can really do it unless you have a comercial drivers license. Nevada goes with lenght and total weight. My set up was a short bed truck, about a 25' 5th wheel, and a 20' Response LXI. The overall length was alright, but I was too heavy on the overall weight. Very confusing to interupt the law on this one.

• Like 1

I towed tandem for about 13 years, in Colorado you do not need a commercial license and can't be over 70'. With the price of fuel, zebra mussel problems, and a new bigger boat I have not towed tandem the last four years. You just need to be careful, don't get in situations where you need to backup and travel at a safe speed in traffic. I would do it again if I went back to a smaller boat.

IMG_0040.jpg

I towed tandem for about 13 years, in Colorado you do not need a commercial license and can't be over 70'. With the price of fuel, zebra mussel problems, and a new bigger boat I have not towed tandem the last four years. You just need to be careful, don't get in situations where you need to backup and travel at a safe speed in traffic. I would do it again if I went back to a smaller boat.

IMG_0040.jpg

That's awesome! (insert Tim Allen arrgh arrghh arrghh here)

Definitely need to know where you are going.

• Like 2

IMG_0040.jpg

I LOVE IT!!! Great looking setup!!!

This is an old school pic. We did this growing up. I know it's not a bu but the boat was heavier then the camper.

Don't ask me the laws as I was a young kid when this was taken. My pops was also a truck driver so I know it was legal.

246628_10151254664163245_1492426417_n.jpg

law in our state is 68ft which i am good with I just want to know if anybody has put a hitch on the back of the boat trailer to pull another trailer?

If so can you send me some pics?

Edited by BFWAKE75

Im in on this we have towed doubles for 10 years all over the place (powell was the best). Tracks perfect and just keep it at 55 and get the same MPG as with just the 5er.

Vacation08064.jpg

Boating07109.jpg