Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Maliview Problems

water_junky

So three weeks ago my Maliview starting having tons of problems, it has worked perfect until now. Here are a couple of short videos that show what is happening.

http://s244.beta.pho...I_4006.mp4.html

http://s244.beta.pho...I_4015.mp4.html

I'm told that they are starting to have problems with them when the boat hit's around 300 hours, mine has 310 hours. They said it will take a new ECM to fix the problem but they don't know what is causing it yet, which means in another 300 hours it will likely happen again.

Just wanted to check and see if there are people that have Maliview and over 300 hours on their boat without problems?

Terry

Edited by water_junky

I don't see how an ECM is related to this. It appears to me like it's losing power for a second and simply rebooting, which could be a bad connection or maybe a power module, if everything checks out prior to that. The viper box is doubtful since the speedo reboots as well. Same thing will happen when the kill switch is yanked.

Peter

I don't see how an ECM is related to this. It appears to me like it's losing power for a second and simply rebooting, which could be a bad connection or maybe a power module, if everything checks out prior to that. The viper box is doubtful since the speedo reboots as well. Same thing will happen when the kill switch is yanked.

Peter

When it all started three weeks ago it would start flipping through screens while you were driving and kept going in to the preset edit function, the next day it started acting like it was losing power. It doesn't do it at first, we can usually get about 15 minutes of skiing in before it starts. It's like once it warms up then it starts going crazy and it's getting worse every time we go out. The boat never misses a beat when this is happening and in the one video we are sitting still and it just kept resetting like crazy. I also thought maybe a lose connection and hitting bumps was doing it until this weekend and it went crazy sitting still. What really sucks is the boat just went out of warranty about three months ago!!

Terry

What really sucks is the boat just went out of warranty about three months ago!!

Terry

Of course, it's that self-destruct timer that all manufactures place in their products... They would be stupid to set the timer to blow up during the warranty period.

I am having the same problem. I have noticed this effects the cruise. I have not looked into the situation, but it seems it is losing power. Let me know if you find anything

Water Junky, I assume the guys at Tommy's have looked at it? Sounds like a problem in the Viper box, but it does get a ground from the engine, so a bad ground or power source might act up once the unit or ground heats up a bit. Ask the tech's at the dealer to speak with Malibu tech support about it, and see what they can do.

Peter

Water Junky, I assume the guys at Tommy's have looked at it? Sounds like a problem in the Viper box, but it does get a ground from the engine, so a bad ground or power source might act up once the unit or ground heats up a bit. Ask the tech's at the dealer to speak with Malibu tech support about it, and see what they can do.

Peter

Peter,

Tommy's has been contacted and they have the videos, they have been talking with Malibu and that is who said the ECM needed to be changed. They said that they are aware of the problem but don't have a true fix yet. We (Tommy's and I) have decided to wait since I just put my boat away for the winter and see if they figure something out before I start buying parts.

Terry

A few people need to think a moment here. Customer did the right thing and took his boat into the dealer to diagnose an issue. While I feel it would be better to fix now then in the spring, even if it means holding up the winterization and storage, that's the customers choice. The dealer is speaking with Malibu about it, and there have been no claims or denial of claims made.

So please - stop hypothesizing, jumping to conclusions and pouring fuel on a discussion. There is no evidence of anyone fielding a substandard product, nor has their been a "failure rate". Conjecture like this does nothing helpful, other than give your words a podium, no matter how many falsehoods they may contain.

Noted : some posts have been removed.

Peter Brown.

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

I also have a 2011 with 253 hours, maliview has never missed a beat.

Fman,

Mine never missed a beat either until it hit 302 hours.

Terry

Fman,

Mine never missed a beat either until it hit 302 hours.

Terry

I hope I am not in for a rude awakening next season. Do you keep your batteries on a constant charge? I heard maliview is very tempermental with batteries that are not fully charged. One reason I installed a pro mariner charger. Hope you can get it resolved.

I hope I am not in for a rude awakening next season. Do you keep your batteries on a constant charge? I heard maliview is very tempermental with batteries that are not fully charged. One reason I installed a pro mariner charger. Hope you can get it resolved.

I hope it doesn't hit you either!! I also have a pro mariner charger on the boat and always keep my batteries at full charge.

Terry

I am just starting my second round with these issues on my 09VLX. My MaliView started wigging out right after I bought it last year with ~ 300hrs. Thankfully my dealer replaced my ECM under warranty and for the last 100hrs everything was fine. We went out to surf yesterday and now my dash and MaliView are losing all CAM signal after just a few minutes. I can cycle the batteries and things are normal for a while but then it goes back dead (all gauges dead, MaliView static, and no reading on the gauges, just ---). The first time around I got the resetting you are experiencing, and then after a couple Viper box replacements (the first two or three attempts to fix this) it eventually started doing the same thing I am now experiencing. It is now NOT under warranty and when I emailed back and forth with my dealer today, it appears Indmar and Malibu are offering the ECM at cost (~$600 with an hour of labor to install). The worst part is there is no assurance that this wont crop up again next time around 50hrs later. This is an ongoing issue with late model 08's and 09's and there are several posts here on the Crew going at length on this. I sure hope that your able to get your ECM replaced and it is a permanment fix, but I didn't get warm fuzzies from my dealer today. In his words, this is more of a band-aid until Indmar and Malibu can figure out the real issues. Considering this is a couple years in and they still haven't figured it out, I fear this one expensive band-aid covering a wound that may not heal.

Edited by soundsofsatori
  • 4 months later...

Mine has 370 hrs and I'm ready to burn it has anyone solved the problem yet

Benny,

There is a software update that is supposed to fix this problem, contact your dealer. Mine will be going in to the dealer for the update in the next couple of weeks, of course I won't know if it fixes it until I get the boat in the water.

Terry