Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Unwanted Guest in the Boat

lewistonskier

My wife and I had our secound kid this summer, so we didn't get out on the boat much. We decided to go out today, and when I got the cover off, and mouse had decided to take up residence throughout the boat. Didn't ruin anything important, but niped through a few towles and and the mesh bag we keep gloves in.

I don't like to store the boat long term (getting ready for winter) with the plugs in, so I wanted to know has anyone ever made any sort of wire mesh cover for the drain holes to keep out mice and other rodents. If so, what did you use and how did you attach it? Did you do it inside or outside the hull?

Thanks for your help.

jkendallmsce

Yes, steel wool is about the only thing they can't / won't chew thru...also a mouse/rat bait if they do get in, as they love to chew on wire and wire insulation and about anything else....can make a real big expensive mess...plus most are not potty trained....

I've read in a few different posts that putting Bounce dryer sheets keeps the rodents out, something about that particular smell. I've done it since owning my bu and putting in a new interior in 2009 and no issues...but I haven't "not" done it, so I have no control group to compare against. That said...last year it was in a poorly sealed pole building surrounded by tall grass, but no mice were in the boat. No droppings on the dash, no nothing. And at first I thought I'd hate the awful perfumy smell, but it goes away very quickly once the cover is off.

Yup, steel wool and dryer sheets. I've heard mothballs help too.

I've never had a problem, but I've heard of friends who keep their boats stored inside and have had critters get into their boat even if they plug drain holes..etc, even with a good cover attached.

Think they might be jumping down from the ceiling or something?

Crafty little critters!

We use bounce and moth balls and store outside next to the farm field, never had a problem. knock on wood. I do cover my exhaust ports though. I don't need critters in there.

We use bounce and moth balls and store outside next to the farm field, never had a problem. knock on wood. I do cover my exhaust ports though. I don't need critters in there.

:plus1: bounce dryer sheets and mothballs. I use small foil loaf pans to put the mothballs in. I use rat poisoning as well but they don't seem to get near the boat. Stored in a barn with plenty of critters...

Do the mothballs stink? My parents use that in their pontoon and it smells awful.

I don't go crazy and only put about 20-30 mothballs in the boat. A day or two with the cover off in the spring and I don't notice the smell anymore. Zero animal or bug problems over the winter...

I don't go crazy and only put about 20-30 mothballs in the boat. A day or two with the cover off in the spring and I don't notice the smell anymore. Zero animal or bug problems over the winter...

Well there ya' go! My mom probably loads it up with popcorn bowls full of 'em.

With the steel wool, if there were to be any water/moisture in the bilge, would it be able to get out through the steel wool, or would I have to pack it in so tight that it would hold the water in.

Stored my boat in a barn in MN for 1o years for the winter. Used mothballs because it keeps everything away, including mice and cats. It smelled like mothballs for the first couple days uncovered, but the smell went away. I didn't want to use rat poison because if the mouse eats it and stays in the boat and dies, then it stinks the boat worse than the mothballs.

i put painters tape over all of the holes, plastic bags over exhaust (downturn exhaust tubes), and put a few dryer sheets around.

Stored inside a storage unit, but near the woods.

• 6 months later...

Lavender also repels mice. Some lavender oil on cotton balls should do the trick, but it would probably need to be "refreshed" as the scent fades. I'd also use bronze or copper wool instead of steel for the holes.

Stored my boat in a barn in MN for 1o years for the winter. Used mothballs because it keeps everything away, including mice and cats. It smelled like mothballs for the first couple days uncovered, but the smell went away. I didn't want to use rat poison because if the mouse eats it and stays in the boat and dies, then it stinks the boat worse than the mothballs.

The other problem with poison is the mice think it is food and it attracts mice to the source of that food (ie: the inside of your boat).

• 2 weeks later...