Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I think I've been converted.

Steve B.

By way of a fisherman at that, lol.

By myself at the ramp, taking the boat out for the year. I've powerloaded for years, in fact never used the winch. Until today.

I had a little trouble with powerloading, just couldnt get trailer depth and boat on trailer the way I wanted after 3 tries.

Fisherman guy next to me say's just give the winch a try once, with trailer deeper. Even though the angle was not good for the bow eye to go by the front "holder", it did, and nicely at that.

I'm converted. It's less stress on everthing and me.

Steve B.

(I will invest in slight more HD winch for next year, maybe a 2 speed one)

• Like 2

I still like the MC extended eye and the clicking mechanism on the trailer...you drive your boat on, til it clicks in place, and drive away, driver does not have to get out, risk slipping on a slippery slimey ramp...no mess no fuss

Edited by jkendallmsce

Treat your bunks with Liquid Roller and it will winch up even easier. But then you can NEVER unhook the bow strap until the boat is in the water!

I think I am going to treat the front portion of the bunks with the stuff. When the boat is on the trailer on the ramp, it will still be held in place by the weight in the back. But when at the ramp pulling on, the rear is still pretty well floating, and I need just the front to be slippery to crank it on. Pledge works just as well, right?

Edited by TallRedRider

I think I am going to treat the front portion of the bunks with the stuff. When the boat is on the trailer on the ramp, it will still be held in place by the weight in the back. But when at the ramp pulling on, the rear is still pretty well floating, and I need just the front to be slippery to crank it on. Pledge works just as well, right?

I just do the front bunks too with liquid rollers. On my ramp I can only get so deep so the front bunks are almost never wet, and treating them helps quite a bit. I still never unhook the bow eye until I'm in the water (whether I treated the bunks or not). I think pledge works too but I don't know if it would last as long and might have to be treated more often.

jkendallmsce

The ole Bayliner sits on a lift for 8 months/yr...only have to trailer the boat a few times a year....life is good!!

BUt I try, Bill is right as it depends on the ramp....to dip trailer in the water so all getbunks/pads are wet...pull the trailer out til the tip of the tandem axle fender is barely out of the water (remember the boat itself is about 6 inches in/under the water, so they is plenty of overlap, and I can usually get on with minimal effort. Soaking your carpetted bunks is crucial to mimimize the scratching of the bottom of the boat.

The trailer I had built for my 1990, I had the front/bow bunk made about 2 feet long...so it was more of a cradle than a pad...so as you are loading the boat, that front cradle/pad forces the boat to be perfectly centered...which allows me to have the trailer a tad deeper in the water, again the front of the tandem axle fender is barely out of the water. Trailer makers should have that cradle on all trailers. Specially since the roads in CA are as bad as any terd world country now days....thanks moonbean..... I also had crash pads installed, just incase your get a little jiggy with the power on, you don't drive the boat up into the back of your towing vehicle...which is never good.