Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesetter 3DVTX for Barefooting?

jcporras

I am looking into buying a new boat for me and my family. My passion is to barefoot (mostly on boom at speeds betwenn 40 and 42 MPH). My wife and kids, however, prefer the lower speeds of skiing, wakeboarding, and wakesurfing.

I am sure the Wakesetter 3DVTX (diamond hull opt) would work fine for wake and ski, but I wonder if it would do the job for barefooting.

1. Would the standard option do the job for barefooting speeds, or should I consider the 410HP engine option?

2. What is top speed of the std option? What is top speed of 410HP option?

3. Can a boom be installed on the Wakesetter? What is best option for boom: Tower boom or Pylon boom?

Plese let me know if therea are any barefooters out there that are happy and satisfied with their Wakesetter diamond hull as a footing option.

Edited by jcporras

I am very happy with it, and although I'm biased, I like the tower boom that we will be shipping this winter. It's not a boat to go out and do tournament quality long line barefoot slalom passes, but for recreational barefooting long line and on the boom, it works great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIzXarf-ftk&list=UUMF9R2aPfN7_HwEtbCXzJQA&index=21&feature=plcp

I feel the Monsoon is enough, but you'll appreciate the 6.0 liter or the LS-3, for the mid-range power and top speed.

Peter

Nice video Peter.

What prop do you recommend for best barefoot speed and barefoot performance (for the 3DVTX)?

Do you know what would be the differences in performance between the Monsoon and the 6.0 Lt. or LS-3?

Can the G3 tower boom be adjusted for different height preferences?

What boom do you recommend for pylon?

Thank you,

I have not played with props to enhance the barefoot speed or wake, as the standard 16 works fine. And for clarification, there is no difference to the "3DVTX" from any of the previous cut diamond hull VTX's. I had discussion with a fellow the other day that wasn't grasping that the VTX we have is a "3DVTX", before they didn't offer the decals before this year.

The 6.0 liter will give you greater top end and a bit more mid-range power. The LS3 will give you great mid-range and great top end. Monsoon is still king of the holeshot by a small margin.

The Sidewinder boom can be adjusted for height - the upper clamp has multiple adjustment holes for the support rod. The prototype in the video has a support rod that was too long.

In regards to your last question - if you are referring to the new optional pylon in a 2013 VTX, you can not mount a boom on it. It is held down by a small retainer hook - it's designed for a slalom line only. Any upward pull will yank it out.

Peter