Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

24 MXZ vs 247 LSV

Gravana

Several of you have sent me messages asking me questions about my experience yesterday with the new 24 MXZ, so I thought I would post my experience and opinion.

I have been trying to make a decision between the 247 LSV and the 24 MXZ. My friends and some locals refer to me as a “Ballast Junky” because of the R&D and testing I have done on my boat to dial-in the surf wake. I have also helped a few friends dial in their boats with proper ballast, and my favorite has been the 2012 247 LSV. My plan was to order a new 247 next year. When the 24 MXZ was announced, it pushed me on the fence.

First, let me say thanks to my friends at Malibu. Building a great boat is half of the reason I love Malibu. The other half is the people at Malibu, their passion, and their generosity. (I know, I know - No names!)

The 24 MXZ wake (stock, out of the box) without Surf Gate is very much like the 2012 247 (stock, out of the box) that I surf behind. With Surf Gate deployed, the wake improved quickly, as it increased in size and power. It was fun in stock form! We added 400-lbs of ballast in the rear on each side (800-lbs total), and the wake size and power improved even more. The 247 I surf behind has all MLS ballast tanks, plus 1100-lbs of ballast on each side in the rear, as well as addition 400-lbs per side under mid-seats. The 247 wake is tall and powerful, but I end up riding closer to the swim step quite a bit when riding smaller boards. The wake on this 24 MXZ was deceiving… It appeared smaller from inside the boat, but the power was there, and I could surf further back without struggling.

I will surely add ballast to my new MXZ. Most likely, I will add 800-1000-lbs on each rear side. However, the rear bags will need to be notched on the rear (tops) to avoid popping up the rear storage boxes.

The beautiful part of driving the 24 MXZ is how it sits fairly level in the water even with the extra ballast at surf speeds, so the driver can see over the bow. The MXZ cut through chop as good as, if not better than, the 247. The MXZ feels like it turns better than the 247, regardless of ballast tanks being empty or full. On another note, the 24 MXZ felt as if it handles and turns better that the 22 MXZ I drove. No clue why, but the 22 even feels bulkier on the water. I mentioned it, and I thought it was just me, but the Malibu R&D guys confirmed it, as well. I will give the MXZ another point over the LSV in safety, as the new front design allows the driver to see over the bow easier that the 247. I would recommend the LS-3 engine over the L96. The LS-3 is smooth and powerful!

For those of you who are interested in trailer feedback, I also checked out the Boat Mate trailer in detail. I have a great deal of experience with trailers, and I am impressed with the quality, the precise fit (It cradles the boat smoothly as you drive up on it!), and the ingenuity of the options. For example, they incorporate a clean rear step to make it easy to climb in and out from the rear corners. I also learned that this is the only trailer that Malibu will support with warranty, should there be any issue or damage to your boat related to the trailer. (Per their agreement with Boatmate.) I am a big fan of Extreme Trailers, but the Boatmate is equally impressive.

I am completely sold on the 24 MXZ. As soon as I sell my boat, I will be ordering a new 24 MXZ!!!

I hope this helps!

Jim

so you say less bow rise in the 24mxz. Only video I've seen is the malibu official video and it looked like a decent amount of bow rise, but hard to tell from little clips if that was during acceleration or not. Good to hear it doesn't seem to have excessive bow rise. Maybe in 5 years I can buy a 2013 then.

"The 247 I surf behind has all MLS ballast tanks, plus 1100-lbs of ballast on each side in the rear, as well as addition 400-lbs per side under mid-seats."

How do you surf behind a 2012 247 with even weighted ballast? Those boats don't have surf gate... Don't you have to list that boat?

What about cabin size? The MXZ doesn't look like it's any bigger than the LSV 23. The bow is obviously bigger, but I don't ride there much so it's not really a plus for me (yet).

It is roomier than my 23 LSV, but not quite as large as the 247, to me.

"The 247 I surf behind has all MLS ballast tanks, plus 1100-lbs of ballast on each side in the rear, as well as addition 400-lbs per side under mid-seats."

How do you surf behind a 2012 247 with even weighted ballast? Those boats don't have surf gate... Don't you have to list that boat?

Yes, we have to fill the surf side on all of our LSVs, and run very little (if any) ballast on the other side. I have not timed it, but I am estimating that it takes us at least 15 minutes to switch sides now. And I have 1200 Gphi pumps.

Nice info on the 24 MXZ. Thanks.

I am for sure trading in for a surfgate boat. I was not planning on it but as soon as I understood what surfgate was I was sold. Mostly for convenience of switching sides and back and forth from surfing and wakeboarding. I also like not having the boat list so much. I have spent all summer dialing in my current MXZ surf wake and am quite happy with it, I am just tired of filling/draining sacs.

I am undecided between the 22 MXZ or the 24 MXZ. I test drove a 22 and it was awesome. Lots of push in the wave and plenty of speed with stock ballast full and 400 lbs in rear lockers. I am anxiously awaiting a test drive on the 24 MXZ for final say.

A few questions: My dealer told me that Malibu tweaked the hull for the 24 MXZ to get a better surf wake. Do you know if that is true? And not that it matters, but was there a lot of spray coming across the deck from the activated surfgate side? When I look at you tube videos the MXZ seems to have more spray than the other bu's with surfgate. I think that is likely due to less extra ballast in the MXZ videos.

Nice info on the 24 MXZ. Thanks.

I am for sure trading in for a surfgate boat. I was not planning on it but as soon as I understood what surfgate was I was sold. Mostly for convenience of switching sides and back and forth from surfing and wakeboarding. I also like not having the boat list so much. I have spent all summer dialing in my current MXZ surf wake and am quite happy with it, I am just tired of filling/draining sacs.

I am undecided between the 22 MXZ or the 24 MXZ. I test drove a 22 and it was awesome. Lots of push in the wave and plenty of speed with stock ballast full and 400 lbs in rear lockers. I am anxiously awaiting a test drive on the 24 MXZ for final say.

A few questions: My dealer told me that Malibu tweaked the hull for the 24 MXZ to get a better surf wake. Do you know if that is true? And not that it matters, but was there a lot of spray coming across the deck from the activated surfgate side? When I look at you tube videos the MXZ seems to have more spray than the other bu's with surfgate. I think that is likely due to less extra ballast in the MXZ videos.

Haven't heard that at all...now it maybe an after affect since the MXZ hull is a combination of 23LSV (entry) and VLX (rear) but specifically designed for surfing, no.

Malibudude is right. I asked that question last week at Malibu. They designed the hull for multiple sports.

I hung out on the back of the boat while a local dealer surfed, and there was no issue with spray.

I did enjoy the 24 more than the 22. Then again, the 24 had the LS-3 in so that was a bonus...

I have not driven the LS-3 and am looking forward to doing so later this month.

Even if I don't drive it it is the next engine in my boat.

When I sac out my MXZ for wakeboarding the 5.7L just isn't cutting it. I have had to drain some ballast if I have too many people in the boat.

The rear compartments are no larger. The side compartments use the hall as the bottom of the compartment. much deeper than the previous VLX's or LSV's. not sure about how the current 22 is configured though.

• 2 weeks later...

What about cabin size? The MXZ doesn't look like it's any bigger than the LSV 23. The bow is obviously bigger, but I don't ride there much so it's not really a plus for me (yet).

Looks pretty stretched out

552347_400938016641222_50473781_n.jpg

• 4 months later...

My wife (5'2") was amazed at how much better she could see out of the boat from the driver's seat when we demo'd the 24 mxz. I'm only 6' tall, but I noticed it as well. Our previous boat was a 2011 VTX. I had the same question about bow rise based on the videos, but it's not there. Granted, we haven't sac'd it all out yet (demo'd with full tank, full factory ballast including front, surf gate 3 adults and two small children), but it already feels much more level than our VTX did. There is the "spray" from the surf gate, but it doesn't impact the wake at all as far as I could tell (just spits up some water, no biggie). I am trying to figure out what sacs I can get as I also got the "factory plug and play". Like Gravana pointed out, my dealer showed me that the sacs they run in their lsv would "pop out" the rear trays so a notched bag sounds appealing. I rode it, the wakeboarding wake was awesome, the surf wake was good. I was in 61 degree water with no wetsuit so I didn't mess around with it much, but it is clear that wake will be awesome once we play with the wedge, speed, ballast, etc.

On the engines...the LS3 was SNAPPY! I was actually surprised by it. It made the boat jump out of the hole faster than my VTX with an Acme 1235 on it. I was lucky that the dealer had the boat I wanted right down to a "t", LS3 and all. They have an LSA equpped 247 too, but I was pretty much at the top (or more) of what I felt comfortable spending so the 24MXZ with the LSA was not in the picture. I can't imaging a LSA in any of these boats!!!

Gravana...I was actually thinking about trying to pull off a pair of 400's or so in the rear. Was there still a bit of storage room or did they stuff the locker? I like putting lifejackets in there.