Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

BOAT COVERS..DO I REALLY NEED ONE?

NH_WAKE

Does the Rankin cover cover the back of the boat well? In some pictures it looks like there is exposed vinyl.

It should cover the vinyl. When we ordered for the last boat, there was a problem with this & they fixed it. It was a result of there being several different templates for the Sunsetter LX/Sunkicker/Wakesetter DD/I-Ride series of boats.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• NH_WAKE

• 88Skier

• Caveman

If you have'nt bought one yet you may want to check the wait time and any kind of after service you might need. Rankin lost half of its crew recently.

That would be covercrafts. Biggrin.gif Just so all of you know, he worked for Rankin for some time & has since started his own company. Another one that I've heard of (no idea if it's related in any way to Rankin) is RS Sports in the Puget Sound, I'll try to dig out some contact information if anyone's interested.

From what I keep hearing, Rankin does seem to be having some problems of late. They took on a lot of contracts with different dealers after the MBO buy & it could be that they had trouble dealing with the growth. They still make a great product, but it may be time to find an alternative.

Does the Rankin cover cover the back of the boat well? In some pictures it looks like there is exposed vinyl.

It should cover the vinyl. When we ordered for the last boat, there was a problem with this & they fixed it. It was a result of there being several different templates for the Sunsetter LX/Sunkicker/Wakesetter DD/I-Ride series of boats.

Here's a photo of our SLXi with the Rankin. As Tracie said, it covers all of the vinyl.

In this photo the cover isn't all the way snugged down. It's drum-tight when fully tensioned. It's actually pretty entertaining to watch rain bounce off of it and really amazing to see the rain drops bead up into bigger drops and then go rolling off the cover while we're driving down the road. Of course the best part is knowing that your boat's interior will be clean and dry when you get home!

From what I keep hearing, Rankin does seem to be having some problems of late.

They do seem to be having problems. My cover was too large. Had a paper tag on the bow that was marked Response LXi, which would have been right, but on both undersides, in the windshield area, you could read "21' LXI, XTI" in chalk writing. Dealer stated two of two Rankins he had received had been the wrong size. Hope I am not waiting forever for a replacement.

If you have'nt bought one yet you may want to check the wait time and any kind of after service you might need. Rankin lost half of its crew recently.

Congrats on the new company. So I take it that most of the crew went to work with you.

What about a TMC group buy??? Biggrin.gif

I have talked with Wakegirl and it sounds like a group buy can happen, but is still a couple weeks out from happening ( I've got to get everthing set-up to properly do this).

Keep us posted on this possible group buy. There are a bunch of us either getting new boats right now, or picking them up shortly, so the sooner the better, if the deal is right.

Are the Covercrafts covers going to be similar to the Rankins?

How much coin are we talking about for a Rankin cover? Most of our trips are short, but it would be nice to have the rig covered for those longer trips.

What is the contact information for Covercrafts? Don't know when my cover from Rankin might be available and may need to change.

Talked with the service guy at Bridgecity and explained why it appears that Rankin is having problems. He would like to have the Covercrafts contact info also.

Is Covercrafts a startup company? I did a Google and it came up with a car cover company.

Thanks

My covers are going to be similar to Rankins in that they are a towing/mooring cover with no snaps or trailer straps and made of Sunbrella. I am currently working with the local dealer so that I can get all the patterns that I need. Please check Covercrafts.com as it will be updated when covers are available. Thank you