Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

BOAT COVERS..DO I REALLY NEED ONE?

NH_WAKE

Always keep in mind that you should not tow the boat any significant distance with the mooring cover on. If I was to tow the 2-3 hours on a consistent basis then I would buy a TRAILERING cover.

The most difficult cleanup that I had was having my boat winterized by the dealership and towing it 3 hours North to the cottage for storage. Unfortunately, it rained the entire time kicking up lots of greasy road grime all over the interior. This was not an easy cleanup and had to break out the big gun (soft scrub w/bleach). However; cleaning the interior is better that towing with the wrong cover and having to worry about it coming off on the freeway or a more likely scenario is that it will rub the gell coat while in tow.

I now winterize myself at the cottage, eliminating the long trailering.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• NH_WAKE

• 88Skier

• tgaugh

You have got to be kidding!!

If I stopped to eat on my way to Shasta, and came out to birds eating my seats, I would freaking go crazy!

wierdest thing i ever heard of...

Also ... outa site outa mind... i dont tow w/ a cover, but throw it on when we stop lunch ,dinner or Fill in the blank stop . had a buddy get his boards ripped off while stopped... also had f-n birds shred his seats to get nesting materials go figure

If I stopped to eat on my way to Shasta, and came out to birds eating my seats, I would freaking go crazy!

wierdest thing i ever heard of...

If you need an easy answer for the CFO try this, Boat windshields are not like car windshields and they will not stand for a rock chip, they will just shatter. "learned that one the hard way many years ago". A boat windsheld will cost you a couple of covers. GET THE COVER you will not be sorry. Yahoo.gifYahoo.gifYahoo.gif

Better yet - who doesn't have one?

Whistling.gif - - - - - Biggrin.gif

But I live less than 1/2 mile from the launch ramp and store it in my garage. :)

Me too but, the trees still will do it in if I park it in the driveway for a few minutes.

Get a cover or you will go crazy.

OK guys, I mean will the regular factory Malibu cover do the job or should I shell out for a Rankin cover??.....I am not exactly mr. moneybags, but if it will be worth it for trailering I will drop it.. My concern is for trailering as well as general protection/dirt etc..

Comes down to trailering, if you trailer covered the Malibu cover is not the choice. If you trailer open, the standard one should work for storing and protecting it off the water. If you trailer the rankin is the solution.

I have the Malibu cover and it works well as a mooring cover and in my driveway. I have also rigged it for towing in the rain 1/2 hour or so but, it would not hold up well as a trailering cover.

OKcool. it seems like if I get a rankin, I am covered all the way around (no pun intended). I mean I obviously can tow all day with it, plus I can use it to cover the boat in the garage correct?...any breathability concerns? The rankin can be my storage cover whil in the garage correct?

I have the Malibu cover and it works well as a mooring cover and in my driveway. I have also rigged it for towing in the rain 1/2 hour or so but, it would not hold up well as a trailering cover.

What is 'rigged it for towing it in the rain'? Please expand.

I only have about 5-10 minutes from garage to ramp, so I only use the stock cover periodically while the boat is in the garage (ie. dust protection when doing other projects). However, I do tow the boat 4-5 hours once each summer up to a cottage. I was planning on just towing without a cover, but road dirt and sudden storms are a concern. Based on one long trip per year, I cannot justify the purchase of a Rankin cover.

What is 'rigged it for towing it in the rain'? Please expand.

I only have about 5-10 minutes from garage to ramp, so I only use the stock cover periodically while the boat is in the garage (ie. dust protection when doing other projects). However, I do tow the boat 4-5 hours once each summer up to a cottage. I was planning on just towing without a cover, but road dirt and sudden storms are a concern. Based on one long trip per year, I cannot justify the purchase of a Rankin cover.

I used all the straps they gave me with the cover to tie it down to the trailer. I used nylon webbing on the 2 rear ones that went fron side to side and tied them off in a knot. I used the short ones that came with the cover in a way so that the plastic and metal clips were down near the trailer and couldn't touch the boat. I used all of them so that the cover was on tight. I towed it a dozen times from my house to my camp, (25 miles) and never had chafing or other problems. Just make sure the fasteners can't touch your boat.

4-5 hours is a haul. Also, I go about 50, not 70-90 like some people on TMC that trailer a lot.

Edited by 88Skier

Thanks 88! What I'm hearing is that trailering with the stock cover can be done on an infrequent basis. I will mess around with the straps one night to see if I can copy your setup to keep the cover tight.

If I remember correctly someone towed with the standard one but to prepare it they covered the straps with those foam pool toys to protect the straps from rubbing the gelcoat and leaving the black marks. I think it was Andy on a Powell commute - can't remember but I do recall that being a good plan to protect the bu when trailering with the non-trailer cover.

So should I go with a rankin cover? Do pebbles and road crap from towing nick the gelcoat? (I am not talking about boulders, just normal road stuff.)

Yup !!!

If you need an easy answer for the CFO try this, Boat windshields are not like car windshields and they will not stand for a rock chip, they will just shatter. "learned that one the hard way many years ago". A boat windsheld will cost you a couple of covers. GET THE COVER you will not be sorry. Yahoo.gifYahoo.gifYahoo.gif

Just happend to Pistol Pete

With respect to towing short distances with the stock cover, does your cover go over the swim platform? If so, does that portion act as a parachute and balloon-up the cover badly? Or can this be corrected by simply tightening down the cover very snuggly?