Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How are boats taxed in your state?

mrnate450r

You will still pay GST in Canada of 5% if you buy a used boat from a dealer. Just not on private deals.

You will still pay GST in Canada of 5% if you buy a used boat from a dealer. Just not on private deals. And if you trade in a boat you pay the tax on the difference only.

8 Provinces and 3 territories! :surprised:

You are correct on the taxes on used boat from the dealer... I over generalized... also provinces with provincial tax you will pay when registering.

Still my favourite canadian rant....

:beer:

As for healthcare... we can debate until blue in the face.... but it it an area of major pride for Canadians... the politician that started public healthcare (Tommy Douglas) is a national hero... we learn about him in school like americans learn about presidents.

It has been my experience that by using the 1989 USA-CA Free Trade Agreement, bringing in a boat from US to CA with the COO results in no duty. This is also true for Austrailia. People in the import-export industry know exactly how this works.

Since I'm half Canadian (dad) and half American (mom), born and raised in Canada, but moved to the US for college and stayed down here. I'll make two comments... Being Canadian is like eating celery--it doesn't taste like anything. That Molsen Canadian commercial sums it up. Canadians define themselves almost entirely by what they are not--American. But, I think both countries have beautiful lakes and good people.

Hope this doesn't shut down this thread. :)

Edited by Cory

Ya, used to just show a birth certificate. Now use a Nexus card and go thru a half hour interrogation once every 5 years to renew it. Next summer we have a vacation planned to Osoyoos, BC? The lake straddles the border. You are free to boat across the border, but if you touch another boat after crossing or touch land you're supposed to call the US customs, give them your Nexus card number on the phone, and then they may or may not send a boat to inspect your boat. Sounds sort of trusting for a border crossing.

Ya, used to just show a birth certificate. Now use a Nexus card and go thru a half hour interrogation once every 5 years to renew it. Next summer we have a vacation planned to Osoyoos, BC? The lake straddles the border. You are free to boat across the border, but if you touch another boat after crossing or touch land you're supposed to call the US customs, give them your Nexus card number on the phone, and then they may or may not send a boat to inspect your boat. Sounds sort of trusting for a border crossing.

Cory

I read in the local newspaper that the rules have changed regarding crossing the border on a body on a body of water. The U.S. Boarder Partrol is not allowing anyone to cross the boarder on the water. This is due to the smuggling of drugs and other things. This rule is alreeady enforeced in eastern Canada and west of the Okanagan at Ross Lake in Chilliwack. The U.S. Boarder patrol will be working the the RCMP and doing alot more checks on the water next summer.

Back on topic_ In B.C., a new boat from the dealer is 12% tax. I believe a private sale is 12% as well because the the HST. But that will changed in April 2013 when it goes back to GST and PST system. Then a private sale will be 5% and new boat we still be 12%

LA - pay full tax on a new or used boat if bought from a dealership (in and out of state), my tax rate in my parish/town 9.5%

On a used boat from an individual, pays taxes based on bill of sale amount, unless boat is over 10 years old, then no taxes due. I also think that the 10 year mark has recently been removed, but have no first hand knowledge yet if it's true or not.

We do have a registration/title fee and 3 yr renewal fee, but both are fairly cheap (less than $100). I have lifetime tags on trailer as well.