Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How are boats taxed in your state?

mrnate450r

Indiana has sales tax at the purchase time. Then annual excise tax on the value of the boat, plus a registration fee. Trailer has a plate and fee for that. Seems like my 2008 LSV was about $300 this year, but not sure because I pay it with all the cars and try to forget quickly.

Nate, $700 is crazy and as far as wakeboard boats go that would be a cheap one, CA is bad enough. Who is pushing this property tax and when did it start? I would buy that 96 malibu skier and put an engine in it. I know IN had a property tax on cars, not sure on boats. Kansas has a couple of cable parks, right? now I know why!

Sounds tempting, but I want a surfgate VLX! I can always register in Oklahoma. They are happy to take our money and don't require an Oklahoma address. It would be the only way I could afford it! I only knowof 1 cable park in Kansas City. The state conducted a survey and 80% of registered boats in Kansas are older than 10 years or something like that. The advocates for this tax change are stating that it would likely help the economy by allowing people to afford newer boats. Makes sense to me! Even if you paid cash for a new one and registered it here, it would still cost over $200/month just to pay the taxes! Plus storage, fuel, and maintenance!

Here in NV there's sales tax when you buy the boat, but that only applies to new boats and dealer sales. So there is no sales tax on a private party used transaction. The boat has to be registered with the department of wildlife annually, which is $50. The trailer gets registered with DMV, also annually. My last trailer reg. was $75ish. More than the boat.

surprised to hear so many people do the cross-border reg. deal. In my cash strapped state, the department of taxation has been seeking to inspect registrations at storage facilities to find these kinds of arrangements. If caught registering out of state when you are a NV resident, the penalty is 3x the tax that would've been due.

I'm blown away that other states charge a yearly property tax on a boat that can be hundreds of dollars. That is just plain insane. A house I can see where you get services ie fire, police, roads, schools etc. But yearly on a boat? That to me sounds like a law out of communist Russia. Learn something everyday.

In Michigan I forgot to mention besides the 6% one time tax, and the cheap 3 year registration based on length, the trailer is a LIFETIME 75 dollar registration fee.

Michigan rocks.

Edited by Indyxc

I'm blown away that other states charge a yearly property tax on a boat that can be hundreds of dollars. That is just plain insane. A house I can see where you get services ie fire, police, roads, schools etc. But yearly on a boat? That to me sounds like a law out of communist Russia. Learn something everyday.

In Michigan I forgot to mention besides the 6% one time tax, and the cheap 3 year registration based on length, the trailer is a LIFETIME 75 dollar registration fee.

Michigan rocks.

gotta look at the whole picture.

State income tax?

They check here too, but the loophole in the system is that it is taxed where the vessel is on January 1st. If it is in my garage, they won't check here. We pay state income tax too. Let's not forget that we just passed a law that allows cities to make the call on whether or not to sell alcohol on Sundays. I'm painting a good picture for our state huh? It's actually a great place to live and raise a family. Cost of living is low, and we at least have the Jayhawks!

Here in NV there's sales tax when you buy the boat, but that only applies to new boats and dealer sales. So there is no sales tax on a private party used transaction. The boat has to be registered with the department of wildlife annually, which is $50. The trailer gets registered with DMV, also annually. My last trailer reg. was $75ish. More than the boat.

surprised to hear so many people do the cross-border reg. deal. In my cash strapped state, the department of taxation has been seeking to inspect registrations at storage facilities to find these kinds of arrangements. If caught registering out of state when you are a NV resident, the penalty is 3x the tax that would've been due.

SOme folks in CA keep their boat, plane, toys in NV, OR and AZ to avoid paying the 1%-1.5%, depending on county, that CA charges. When looking for a storage unit, I was required to fill out a form wanting to know if I was keeping a boat, RV, etc. in the storage unit...so each county is becoming more aggresive in collecting those taxes. NOt siure what the fine is if caught in CA....casue its all about collecting/taking more of your money.

I am dealing with Calavares county, as they want to tax my Hobie Islander, new they are about $4-5k, which has no CF numbers, but according to the county, property worth more than $500 is taxable. So that stand up board, kayak, etc, just may be taxed next year....And they patrol Lake Tulloch and record CF numbers of all the boats on the lifts...which are easy pickings for them.

Weather is nice, but it does cost you to live in CA!!

So more and more folks register their boats in OR, or NV to

You asked soooooo...for Hawaii it's not so bad, but most everything else here is pretty expensive (island)...

1) No property tax on boats

2) No sales tax, unless you buy from a dealer, then 4%, but no dealers of inboards here that I have found (it sucks!)

3) Initial Registration Fee

(a) For each vessel less than twenty feet in length, $18.00

(b) For each vessel twenty feet or more in length, $30.00

4) Annual Certificate Renewal Fee

(a) For each vessel less than twenty feet in length, $15.00

(b) For each vessel twenty feet or more in length, $20.00

5) Annual Ramp Decal Fee, $50.00

6) Trailer Registration is by weight, can't remember how much but not much and not on-line (some formula they won't tell you...)

Edited by malibuparadise

I've always wondered what they would say as I have AZ numbers but live here in CA. The trailer is registered here as I know they can give you a hard time on the road. But no lake officer has ever stopped me, and Parker is in az. Worst case I can say I store it out there as we have a place

• Like 1

In Alberta... free boat registration.. one time trailer license ... $80 and 5% federal tax on new purchases.... no tax on used... and public healthcare.

And by public healthcare, you get no vision or dental insurace, and still need to suplement with a 3rd party insurance to cover gaps in federal coverage. Don't forget the huge taxes on alcohol and tobacco, much higher federal tax rate, and a higher cost of living throughout the country even though the dollar valuation is equal with the US.

Not to steer off course too far, but cost of living is relative. CA pretty expensive vs a lot of the country, with no other benefits other than one of the only places you can wakeboard, dirt bike, snowboard, and surf all in the same day! :cheers:

• Like 2

And by public healthcare, you get no vision or dental insurace, and still need to suplement with a 3rd party insurance to cover gaps in federal coverage. Don't forget the huge taxes on alcohol and tobacco, much higher federal tax rate, and a higher cost of living throughout the country even though the dollar valuation is equal with the US.

Not to go too far off topic but consider the following points:1) Healthcare is under provincial jurisdiction in Canada not federal.2) Yes dental, vision and pharmasuticals are generaly not covered. Pretty much everything else is.3) What does it cost to have a kid brought into the world in the states? Canada $0. Major surgery of any kind in the states? Canada $0.4) Tax on tobaco and alchohol.....hell yes, I'm all for stupidity taxes.5) Cost of living may be higher may be lower, depends what regions you are comparing.6) At least alberta is not drowning in debt, when was the last time you heard of a Canadian city, town, or municipality filing for bancrupcy?Now back to the original intent of the conversation. Taxes paid on boats not sweaping generalizations on topics we know nothing about. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

You will still pay GST in Canada of 5% if you buy a used boat from a dealer. Just not on private deals.

In Alberta... free boat registration.. one time trailer license ... $80 and 5% federal tax on new purchases.... no tax on used... and public healthcare.

You will still pay GST in Canada of 5% if you buy a used boat from a dealer. Just not on private deals. And if you trade in a boat you pay the tax on the difference only.

Hey how many states are in Canada anyway? heh heh

8 Provinces and 3 territories! :surprised:

Oh come on Skizilla, Canada is our 51st State, there are more people living in California than there are in Canada!

3,209,133 more people in California than all of Canada, at least according to google. :)

Just another one of the reasons I love where I live. We were the ONLY boat on our lake all of last weekend, granted the water was a tad chilly, but it was glass and there was no one else to be seen for miles. I'm no expert but I would hazzard a bet that is a lot harder to find in California......not the cold water but the rest of it.

I am proud of this place I call home and wish everyone else the same good fortune!

hi-jack off.......taxes suck yada yada yada

I think for our 2008 VTX it was around $250 (per year), plus something like $20 or $30 for the annual trailer license plus I paid $80 for a State Parks boat ramp pass (otherwise $10 each time). The state is hurting.

Edit - As Bill noted, we also have sales tax that pushes 9+% in many parts of the state. I paid north of 5K in sales tax when buying, and it is also on resale, so you get to pay sales tax on every subsequent sale.

Edited by MalibuTime

Guys keep your replies on topic. Discussions that have occurred are polarizing and ultimately will require this topic to be closed. Think of what your typing can it be taken to be offensive especially when talking nationalities. This isn’t the place for it.

Not to steer off course too far, but cost of living is relative. CA pretty expensive vs a lot of the country, with no other benefits other than one of the only places you can wakeboard, dirt bike, snowboard, and surf all in the same day! :cheers:

Come on now, CA has many benefits that other states don't have...a completley insane legislature, movie stars what think they want to govinators, and probably more rules, laws, fees, regulations, than any other state in the nation.

plus annual local property tax.

luckily the county i live in, or previously lived in valued my boat at $18,000 for property taxes. I still dont like personal property taxes but am happier to pay them on 18k vs the real value. :) if they use the same valuation system in Lincoln county i will be is good shape next year..

Guys keep your replies on topic. Discussions that have occurred are polarizing and ultimately will require this topic to be closed. Think of what your typing can it be taken to be offensive especially when talking nationalities. This isn’t the place for it.

I edited my post to delete the off topic comment. Good call!

On a related note, I called my insurance agent (Allstate) and had him readjust the stated value of my 2008 Vride--since my policy limit still stated the original purchase price. When we dropped the stated value (policy limit) of my boat (excluding trailer) below $40K my yearly insurance premium dropped in half to $285. Apparently, $40k is a magic threshold number for Allstate in WA. Remember, most insurance policies only pay out up to the fair market value of your boat. So, if you policy is still listing your original purchase price and you have owned your boat for a couple years, I suggest you call your agent and readjust the policy limit--it ended up being a big yearly savings for me with Allstate in WA.

Edited by Cory