Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How are boats taxed in your state?

mrnate450r

Here in Kansas we are finally going to get to vote to change our property tax on watercraft in November. It is currently set up at 30% of the boats value times the mill levy. To give you an idea, my 2008 Crownline 180 was almost $700 last year and they had it valued at not quite $16,000. So think what a new Wakesetter would cost! Most boats like that are registered in Oklahoma around here. I'm just curious how other states do it.

Here in Michigan it's 6% tax when you buy it. If used bought from a private party they tax you on the sold value when you register it. Usually they ask you what you paid lol. From there it's a registration fee every 3 years based on length which on our boats is like 100 bucks

That is 700 per year on your boat?

Edited by Indyxc

In KY, you pay sales tax when you buy new. After that, you pay property tax when you register. Seems like it is about $400/yr for my 2008RLXi. I don't remember what they have for the value.

Here in Kansas we are finally going to get to vote to change our property tax on watercraft in November. It is currently set up at 30% of the boats value times the mill levy. To give you an idea, my 2008 Crownline 180 was almost $700 last year and they had it valued at not quite $16,000. So think what a new Wakesetter would cost! Most boats like that are registered in Oklahoma around here. I'm just curious how other states do it.

Ouch, I live on the KS side, and when it came time to pay sales tax and I saw the KS price tag, I registered it in MO. Sales tax maxes out at $1,000 in the county I registered in. Property tax was like $600 for 2 years or something like that, on a '08 vride.

It's cheaper to buy a one acre patch of dirt on the back of a farm in MO and register boat in MO than pay sales tax/property tax once on a new wake setter in KS.

• Like 1

wakesetter...what do you mean you avoid it when you buy through a dealer? I'm pretty positive the tn tax on boats is 7.5% when you buy them new or used, and the only way to avoid taxes is if you're active duty military. I could be wrong but the dealer I use to work for and another dealer I've spoken with in the past said them same.

Augie, what county? My brother lives in Raymore so it wouldn't be a problem. Just remember to vote accordingly in November and maybe we won't have to find the loophole anymore!

Here in Michigan it's 6% tax when you buy it. If used bought from a private party they tax you on the sold value when you register it. Usually they ask you what you paid lol. From there it's a registration fee every 3 years based on length which on our boats is like 100 bucks

That is 700 per year on your boat?

Also, in Michigan the trade-in is treated like a "down payment" which means, tax the full amount of the new boat, then apply the trade.

Ohio: Sales tax based on wherever you are registering the title when the title is transfered (as sales tax is different in varying parts of the state). 6.75% where I live. Does matter if it used on new, it just matters that the title is being transfered as a sale.

Otherwise, boat registration every 3 years. No personal property tax on it.

Yes it is. I am confident that if I registered my new bu when I get it it will for sure be more than the taxes on my house. If any of you have friends in Kansas make sure they vote to have this changed in 2013!

I think in KY you only pay sales tax on the difference between old and new boat if you trade the boat in.

Same here in WA. Which makes it pretty lucrative to trade the boat in because 1/2 the time you can't begin to get the difference in a private sale.

Sales tax rate is almost 9%. Plus we have to register both the boat & trailer every year. I don't recall the rate but the Vride amounts to about $300/yr, trailer about $30/yr.

I live about 2 miles from the Idaho state line. At the WA DMV I was literally asked, "which state do you want to register the boat in"? The gal at the WA DMV registered my boat in ID for like $30/yr. She said it can be done in either state if we use the boat in them both.... which we do.

I don't know the rate here in ca, but we register the boat every year for like $20, then get hit with a supplimental property tax. It was like $350 or so a year on my 02 vlx a couple years ago last time I payed. This boat I just registered in AZ and avoided it.

• Like 1

wakesetter...what do you mean you avoid it when you buy through a dealer? I'm pretty positive the tn tax on boats is 7.5% when you buy them new or used, and the only way to avoid taxes is if you're active duty military. I could be wrong but the dealer I use to work for and another dealer I've spoken with in the past said them same.

I should have worded that differently. The way my dad explained it to me, if you are buying a boat that a private seller is selling, and have the dealer do the transaction, you can avoid it. You essentially trade the boat in, then buy it back right after. But in reality you don't do that. Wow. It sounds confusing I know.

Nate, $700 is crazy and as far as wakeboard boats go that would be a cheap one, CA is bad enough. Who is pushing this property tax and when did it start? I would buy that 96 malibu skier and put an engine in it. I know IN had a property tax on cars, not sure on boats. Kansas has a couple of cable parks, right? now I know why!

Here is how it works:

The dealer buys a car, and takes another car in trade, and the buyer receives trade credit for the value of the trade in to the dealer.  The dealer then sells the traded in car to another person and they pay the sales tax on the purchase price (less any trade in they offer).  

So I was wrong.

FL is like 6.5 % at time of purchase. FL has a weird rule where only the hull is taxed on outboard boats. If you have an itemized receipt that breaks down the cost of everything, it can save the buyer a bunch of money. Of course that only applies to outboards...

in PA we have an additional 1% tax in two Counties (Allegheny in Pittsburgh and one in Philadelphia) in the state making it a 7% total on the purchase price paid by the buyer EACH time the boat is sold/transferred to another PA resident....

Every two years the boat owner must pay for a registration sticker that is cost dependent to the size of the boat...

See below:

Registration Fees

Fees cover a 2 year period, which expires March 31 of the 2nd year Unpowered Boats—2 years $18 Unpowered Boats—1 year $10 Motorboats under 16 feet $26 Motorboats 16 feet to less than 20 feet $39 Motorboats 20 feet and over $52 Commercial Passenger $50