Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lead Plates (50 lb range)

G-Pac

This may be a really dumb question, but...

I have been conducting google searches for locating lead plates for sale on the web and am having very little success.

Can anyone provide any guidance on where/how to purchase 50 lb lead plates, preferably with carrying handles built into the plate.

I am looking for 8-10 plates (400-500 lbs). What might I expect to pay for them?

Any feedback is appreciated.

G-Pac

It's not a dumb question. I have wondered the same thing. It seems that a guy would have to buy them locally, as shipping would be a killer, unless they were shipped truck freight.

I went to the yellow pages and locally found a place that sold lead. Overland Lead and Sales - in St. Louis.

They sell it by the pound and a few years ago it was ~$0.50 per pound - I believe it has gone up in price. They were able to make me 50 pound "pigs" - which are 50 pound blocks with ears (ends) on them to pick up. They also stack neatly together. I know I have around 250 lbs in pigs and another ~300 lbs or so of home made lead blocks. If anyone locally is interested I might be interested in selling.

If you want plates...just go to Sports Authority (or similar retailer) and get weight lifting plates. They run about $0.60/lb regular price. I picked some up for my home gym on sale for $0.42/lb. Some brands offer "hand-grips" molded in.

I would be leary of using actual lead unless it is completely sealed in a bag...young kids and lead poisoning and all...but maybe that's just me being paranoid.

Mike has a good idea.

I actually have 250 lbs. in weight lifting plates that I carpeted in speaker box carpet. I got them at a play it again sports which is a used sports equipment store.

if you want plates go to tractor supply or other tractor place and get tractor weights. they have handles on them too.

Edited by mali_vride

Once again shipping not in the equation, I bought mine from Proflight Towers they sound similar to what aneal described, I was told mine are 65 lbs. they are coated with ryno lining, pretty neato.

I was fortunate enough to only drive 40 miles to pick them up, its funny how much different my Toyota Solara drove with 4 in the trunk.

Edited by LS-One

Shipping will hurt.

http://www.pop-products.com/

You'll need to find someone, locally, to get the weight without getting killed in shipping costs.

I have these and really like them.

Ditto on the Pop Bags. I love mine and it's great to be able to move them around when needed.

I second the tractor weights.I bought two 100lb tractor weights with handles from a used farm impliment place for about $50.Then I put some cheap carmats on them and wrapped 'em in tape so no rust could get on the carpet.Defintely a cheaper way to go.

This may be a really dumb question, but...

I have been conducting google searches for locating lead plates for sale on the web and am having very little success.

Can anyone provide any guidance on where/how to purchase 50 lb lead plates, preferably with carrying handles built into the plate.

I am looking for 8-10 plates (400-500 lbs). What might I expect to pay for them?

Any feedback is appreciated.

G-Pac

go to your local tire store, they have lead wieghts that are used for wheel balancing and when they put on new tires they take the old lead wieght off and save them, they will give them to you but they will be in a 5 gal bucket and it will be very heavey. then small containers to put them in ( with tops ). i have 900 lbs

If you go the weightlifting weight route, try garage sales in the spring. Parents whose kids left them with weight disks in the basement will almost pay YOU to get rid of them.

The idea of getting weight-lifting weights is great!

Take it one step further and go to a Rhino Lining/Line-X guy and have them sprayed so they will:

a) not scratch up the boat

B) not rust all over the place

JZ

Great feedback and some VERY HELPFUL ideas. Thank you.

I am looking into some local tractor supply companies and will post my findings here.

I am leaning towards the solid lead plates b/c I think they will stack well and fit nicely in the bow walk-through area (new '06 LSV). I would like to carpet them so that they will not slide around and also so they blend into the floor. I have my carpet inserts from the old XTi and may even use part of the insert to create a protective cover to help avoid stubbing toes etc., since it is so thick and well constructed.

I do like the Rhino lining idea also and have a guy that can do that locally.

CHEERS!

G-Pac

Another idea,

Go to a good gun/sporting goods store and buy 25 lbs bags of lead shot. Easy to handle. Easy to stack. Very pliable so you could shape them however you wanted to in order to maximize space.

Here is a question for you all. What do you do with the weight when not in use? Surely you don't leave it in the boat to trailer it home?

What do you do with the weight when not in use? Surely you don't leave it in the boat to trailer it home?

I wouldn't. Throw 'em in the back of the tow vehicle.

If you buy shot, just make sure that it's sealed or it will rust. Most shot that you can buy at the sporting goods store is steel, not lead. FWIW, BiMart has about the best price going on it. As for the Rhino Lining, you can save some money there & DIY. You can buy that stuff in spray cans & it's very easy to apply.

Most shot that you can buy at the sporting goods store is steel, not lead.

Negatory. Steel shot is mostly used for waterfowl hunting. The majority of waterfowlers buy factory loaded ammo. Trap/skeet/sporting clays shooter who go through hunderds of shells per week are the main guys who reload their own ammo and they use lead shot. But then again, you are from California. Who knows out there. Tongue.gif

Most shot that you can buy at the sporting goods store is steel, not lead.
Negatory. Steel shot is mostly used for waterfowl hunting...But then again, you are from California. Who knows out there. Tongue.gif

Ummm, no she's not. No.gif Wakegirl is an Oregonian. Yes.gif

And she was right about sealing it in bags, especially if you have kids. Lead is nasty stuff. Crazy.gif

better than rhino lining/line-x on the weights, i think would be to have them dipped in polyurethane like those bright pink dumbells for women.

go to a tire store, they have lead or free, that's right free. the balancing wieghts they use for the rims, they take off the old ones and they put it on a 5 gal bucket so just call them and ask if you can have them