Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What is the difference between the Bakes cover and Evolution cover?

wakesetter8796

i dont know the difference, but Yes, the Bakes cover is towable. i have one on my '07VLX. I tow the boat across the state multiple times a year with no issues. it fits like a glove and of course Paul and the folks at Bakes are great to work with.

It's difficult to tell, but we have an Evolution cover and absolutely love it. Drove through a Texas rain storm with the cover on last month and the interior of the boat stayed bone dry. Love the cover and the service we received from Cory, but Bakes has excellent customer service too.

I believe the Bakes cover is made of Sunbrella material. What is the Evolution cover made of? I think they share the same design. They are physically located close to one another (both in suburbs of Seattle). I have the Bake's cover on my '08 Vride and have no complaints--except for the damn spiders that crap on it under my boat lift canopy.

Disclaimer: Although my name is Cory, I am not the Cory who makes the Evolution cover.

Edited by Cory

Thanks guys, sounds like they are pretty similar, the bakes would probably be cheaper especially with the 10 percent off(actually cheaper than the retail price of the CS cover too).

Does it require tent poles? Does it pool water? Do bugs get in the tower legs?

Ya I'm thinking either evo or bakes cover and have a tower cover made or just an over tower one, still can't decide.

Edited by wakesetter8796

Thanks guys, sounds like they are pretty similar, the bakes would probably be cheaper especially with the 10 percent off(actually cheaper than the retail price of the CS cover too).

Does it require tent poles? Does it pool water? Do bugs get in the tower legs?

No No & No

Then again I have a Titan tower. Not sure if they will get in the Illusion or not.

My cover for my VLX does not require tent poles, does not pool water (if it is installed correctly) and has elastic around the tower legs so most bugs do not get in (I can say all bugs dont get in, but i have never had a problem in 4+ years)

Our Evolution cover doesn't require any poles either nor does it "pond". As for the bugs... our LSV is stored inside with the cover sitting loose over it, so we probably get a few bugs. No big deal for us as we typically clean the interior once a month during the off season.

Good luck

It seems to me like Evo is making them for bakes. That thing is dead nuts to the cover I bought this spring.

As for my experience, I have a 97 sunsetter. All in all the cover works pretty well. It did have to go back once to washington for some modifications, and it probably needs to go back once more this fall. Cory is really good about it though and gets it turned around really fast. I think at the end of the day every new cover is going to need a small amount of tailoring to be perfect. This obviously is the advantage of a local canvas shop, but they dont seem to subscribe to the theory of no poles. You need to be a little militant about how you tighten things, but man is it nice not to have to set the poles up, and have them fall down on you, plus the cover looks really nice.

It seems to me like Evo is making them for bakes. That thing is dead nuts to the cover I bought this spring.

As for my experience, I have a 97 sunsetter. All in all the cover works pretty well. It did have to go back once to washington for some modifications, and it probably needs to go back once more this fall. Cory is really good about it though and gets it turned around really fast. I think at the end of the day every new cover is going to need a small amount of tailoring to be perfect. This obviously is the advantage of a local canvas shop, but they dont seem to subscribe to the theory of no poles. You need to be a little militant about how you tighten things, but man is it nice not to have to set the poles up, and have them fall down on you, plus the cover looks really nice.

There may have been some historical connection between them in years past, which may explain why the covers are so similar. But, today I believe they are independent of each other.

A little birdie told me the same thing...

Guys. I will settle this for all of you as I am friends with both. Evolution covers and Bakes canvas are 100% independent of each other. Cory does an awesome job as everyone who has had his cover will tell you. The Bakes cover is seldom talked about but is a great cover. I have had my Bakes cover from day one in owning my boat. While it does need a little cleaning right now it still looks and works great. I do not look forward to having to buy a new one only for the fact that I do not want to have to choose between the two of them.

I will be looking for a cover in the future so to me it looks like it comes down to cost. I will say that Bakes has been very good to me so if the cost is the same I know which way I will lean. Sound like a may do some JEWING.

Lets see if I can answer these questions with out upsetting the forums "terms of use" even though the questions are directed to me.

It's made of Sunbrella.

Maybe Paul can tell us who makes his cover.

Bakes Covers are made out of Sunbrella. You will need to confirm with Evo what they use.

Incorrect statement, we have our own in house canvas shop. We were selling so many boats back in 2006 that we decided to acquire and grow our own canvas shop. That way we had control over quality and timing for boat deliveries. The factory covers are not a option in the Pacific Northwest because the material does not breath at all so every boat we sold got a custom cover.

There may have been some historical connection between them in years past, which may explain why the covers are so similar. But, today I believe they are independent of each other.

Covers in the Northwest have a long... long... long history. Brent from Coversports (Not positive on that) started it all, one of his employees (Pat Rankin) broke off and started his own cover business (Rankin Covers) Cory started out as a employee at Rankin and later decided that he too was ready to branch out on his own and started with Evolution Covers (not sure when he established his business). 2006 we purchased the assets of RS Sports (he got going around 2003-04), and created the Bake's canvas department that we still have in house and operate today. We do all our own manufacturing, repairs, and hopefully this winter silk screening (have everything to do it, just need to the time to figure it out!)

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me or anybody at Bakes to help you out.

Thanks!

Paul

................. 2006 we purchased the assets of RS Sports (he got going around 2003-04), and created the Bake's canvas department ..............................

Best contribution Rick ever made was the Hot Wraps blanket. I still have 2 of the originals & we use them ALL THE TIME!! :rockon:

Tell him I said hello!

Lets see if I can answer these questions with out upsetting the forums "terms of use" even though the questions are directed to me.

Bakes Covers are made out of Sunbrella. You will need to confirm with Evo what they use.

Incorrect statement, we have our own in house canvas shop. We were selling so many boats back in 2006 that we decided to acquire and grow our own canvas shop. That way we had control over quality and timing for boat deliveries. The factory covers are not a option in the Pacific Northwest because the material does not breath at all so every boat we sold got a custom cover.

Covers in the Northwest have a long... long... long history. Brent from Coversports (Not positive on that) started it all, one of his employees (Pat Rankin) broke off and started his own cover business (Rankin Covers) Cory started out as a employee at Rankin and later decided that he too was ready to branch out on his own and started with Evolution Covers (not sure when he established his business). 2006 we purchased the assets of RS Sports (he got going around 2003-04), and created the Bake's canvas department that we still have in house and operate today. We do all our own manufacturing, repairs, and hopefully this winter silk screening (have everything to do it, just need to the time to figure it out!)

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me or anybody at Bakes to help you out.

Thanks!

Paul

Good history on how it all came about.

Best contribution Rick ever made was the Hot Wraps blanket. I still have 2 of the originals & we use them ALL THE TIME!! :rockon:

Tell him I said hello!

Air*u*key, (lol)

He left Bakes back in 2008-9 to go work in the snow industry otherwise I would!

Those hot wraps were a great idea, if he was still around I would stock those too but I haven't heard from him for years. A blanket like that is a must have in the boat!

-Paul