Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wetsounds on illusion x tower

VLX_Fixation

My name is Nick and i am new to the Malibu ownership community. I just bought my first wakesetter-2007 VLX and it has the wetsounds pro80's on the tower and unfortunately i have to store it outdoors but under a carport. Was wondering if there was a quick easy to dismount the speakers every trip. Thank you guys for help

I have the same year VLX with a couple pairs of pro 80s on the illusion X... to install/uninstall pro 80s to our tower, you have to disassemble the speaker from the housing, then unbolt the housing from the tower. Not difficult but not something you want to do every time you put the boat away.

Hey David is there a trick to separate the baffle from the housing on a pro 80? I can't get them separated... called wetsounds and they said to push/hit it with the palm of my hand. Anyone have any tricks for this?

SM,

I responded to your PM with a number of safe recommendations. I forgot to mention (and this may not apply to your situation) that the magnet sometimes gets locked into the internal supporting cradle so rotating the speaker housing and using gravity frees this up. Of course that doesn't do alot of good if the housing is already mounted to the tower on an Illusion for example where you need internal access for removal. In that case you have to create a bit of lift on your own to free the magnet from the internal cradle.

David

I lay my tower down and cover it after every trip so the weather isnt really my issue, although it would be nice if i didnt have to do do it everytime. Im more worried about theft. I do live in a very safe neighborhood and it is behind a locked gate...im very paranoid when it comes to my toys. Ive had too much stolen in the past to trust everyone...temptation is a deep mistress. If they can see it, it is very tempting...so by eliminating that factor i would sleep much better at night

How bad is it to leave speakers outdoors? Should I take them off even if they won't get wet?

Alot depends on how the boat is stored. If it is under cover then I wouldn't have much concern except for theft.

However, if the tower speakers see direct UV for a certain numbers of hours everyday this is really bad. Those hours and days really accumulate different from the relatively few hours that the boat is in use. With enough exposure, UV eventually breaks down everything, even if the damage is only cosmetic.

David

• 2 years later...