Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

trailer hub help!

commodore

Hello all,

Yesterday, my hub on the trailer for my 2000 VLX failed, almost catastrophically. It is cracked into two pieces where the outer "nipple" meets the drum part of the hub. Where can you take these things for repair / replacement? I am sketched out by the thought of driving any further, as the boat is in my driveway now. All the auto shops I've called gave me blank stares and my local boat shop is closed. Is this something I can do (I have no experience w/ trailers). The trailer has drum brakes, if that makes any difference.

Hello all,

Yesterday, my hub on the trailer for my 2000 VLX failed, almost catastrophically. It is cracked into two pieces where the outer "nipple" meets the drum part of the hub. Where can you take these things for repair / replacement? I am sketched out by the thought of driving any further, as the boat is in my driveway now. All the auto shops I've called gave me blank stares and my local boat shop is closed. Is this something I can do (I have no experience w/ trailers). The trailer has drum brakes, if that makes any difference.

Well it's not rocket science. ( no offense just saying you can do it). What I always do is start with the Internet and see if you can find any how to articles. You tube would be great. People here can answer specific questions etc. if the spindle is damaged though you might be in over your head.... You can order parts from your trailer manufacture but might be able to source them cheaper with a little research.

• Like 1

Where are you located?

I'm had a similar problem with my own trailer hub. I had to limp the trailer home on 3 wheels, with the boat on it. You can see more details here.

I'm going to a local shop called Six Roblees. They do all kinds of trailer parts & repairs. And they have several locations around the country.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 1

Some pics would help. But drum hubs are about $50 new. Hardest thing will be to figure out what size it is, size of bearings etc. You might end up spending up to $150 in parts if you buy them online and replace the bearings, seals and bearing buddies or whatever caps you have. I like etrailer.com, or pacifictrailers.com. The nice thing about trailers compared to boats is they are very common. Same parts used for RV's, utility trailers etc. Gotta be a trailer place close to you if you are not inclined to do the work yourself. (e-trailer has a lot of how to videos)

Where are you located?

I'm had a similar problem with my own trailer hub. I had to limp the trailer home on 3 wheels, with the boat on it. You can see more details here.

I'm going to a local shop called Six Roblees. They do all kinds of trailer parts & repairs. And they have several locations around the country.

six Roblees is a pretty good company to work with.