Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

no observer state

radnevrad

Wondering if fellow crew members would chime in if they know a list of states that do not require an observer (third) in the boat while towing a rider/skier, etc? Quick search suggests KY and TX, but there must be more. Thanks

NC Pg 15 operators guide

5. At any other time unless:

the vessel is equipped with a rear vision mirror, or

There is an observer in the vessel in addition to the operator, or

the person being towed wears a life preserver.

Edited by REW

TN you do not need an observer if you have a mirror,

So we don't have to have an observer?

Skiing is prohibited from sunset to sunrise and during inclement weather.

Vessels towing skiers must be equipped with a 170 degree, wide-angle rearview mirror or have on board a person 12 years or older, other than the operator to observe the progress of the skier.

Pulled from TWRA website

I've only towed somebody once with no spotter. I doubt I'll do it again. Nothing happened, but I found it tough to watch the boarder and where I was going. It really isn't very safe.

I've only towed somebody once with no spotter. I doubt I'll do it again. Nothing happened, but I found it tough to watch the boarder and where I was going. It really isn't very safe.

Clint Eastwood: A mans got to know his limitations.....

In CA a skier MUST have on a CG approved vest UNLESS he is in a skiing compettion event...then he can wear a non CG apprioved vest...ANd in CA...the surf boards folks are standing up on and paddling, they dont have to be wearing the vest BUT they have to have one on the board.

Some states have very stupid rules...it was changed a few years ago, but in CA the observer had to be 15, while the driver could be 12...like I said that was changed a few years ago.

In Australia it is mandatory to have an observer and for skiers to have a bouyancy device.

I think they are both sensible rules and would never want to do anything else.

The Michigan law refers specifically to a USCG approved vest. My Ronix vest is not USCG approved and I can wear that behind the boat as a floatation device. As soon as I step onto the boat, I need to have a USCG approved floatation device available. Nobody is really going without a vest or jacket. That might be obvious, but I thought I'd point that out.

As was mentioned before, MN does not require a spotter. However certain counties (at least Wright county where I live and ride) requires a spotter on weekends and holidays. It's in the small print at the back of the book.... I'll just play stupid if I ever get busted. We ride without a spotter all the time. Easy to do if you have a lot of hours driving, and are used to a constant look-around to your mirror, and out front of you, and a sweep all over for idiots not paying attention. We've never really had a "close call".