Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Seats turning red.

Red or discoloration on the upholstered rails and rear sun deck happens most often with the combination of a black cover and heat. If left in the sun (uncovered) the discoloration seems to fade away but always comes back. You might be able to file a claim with Malibu Dealer whereby they assess the discoloration and make a determination to change your skins. Check with your dealer on the process and their experience with this type of claim. I have heard in some cases Malibu does replace the skins under warranty, in other cases I have heard because it was not a stock cover that was sold with the boat Malibu was not willing to step up.

While there are a few different thoughts around why this happens, some of the most common thoughts are the glue they spray on the back of the vinyl to apply the back padding is one thought, another thought is once moisture gets into the foam and does not completely dry out, the heat of the dark cover basically bakes the moisture. Why the color is always red or maroon is beyond me, the glue is actually yellow that they use. Always best to keep your boat stored inside. We are actually putting a fleece material between the black cover to reduce the cooking potential.