Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heater blowing cold air

MileHighRango

Just bought a 247 LSV a couple weeks ago, finally got the boat out today and after boarding out in the 68° water I hopped in and turned on the heater and was blasted by cold air. Even after running it for a while, nothing. I was wondering if there was a valve that bypassed the heater down by the engine?

Thanks for the help

The heater works based on the water flow coming from the engine block. Look at both incoming and outgoing heater lines that feed the heater, if they are kinked it will reduce or restrict the flow of hot water resulting in cold heater operation. Another most common finding can be found by pulling the 90 degree hose that attaches to the transmission cooler (this is a 1.5" line coming from the impeller housing going into a black metal tube with high pressure fittings (( tranny fluid)) on the back side of the engine area) reach your finger into the tranny cooler and see if there is any debris or something blocking the water flow.

Hopefully this will make things work

jack

BTW:: Congrats on the 247, you will never buy a small boat again!!

Edited by JAXONBOATS

My guess is you sucked up some weeds and it is clogging the heater hose line. Detach the hose and there should be a screen in the housing that filters the debris out. Guess is there is weeds there. Just take the weeds out and hopefully should be fine. This has happened to me at least once a summer. I am not sure where the hose clamp and filter is on your engine. I had a LCR320 and I beleive there is a post somewhere on here that gives directions for that engine and what to look for.

Get the engine RPMs up & you should get heat out of it.

There are a couple of long term fixes for this. For years now Heatercraft has sold a Y adapter that moved the return line down to the hose where the raw water pump is in the bilge. This will do a better job of pumping warm water thru the heater core than the engine's water pump. Do a search for Heatercraft Y adapter, Google, Skidim.com, Heatercraft's site, or here on TMC.

There is also a new fix where Heatercraft has added a small electric water pump to their system. Check their site for more info. But besides getting heat at idle speeds, the biggest benefit is that even after you cut the engine, it will act as a heat sink & continue to pump heated air for 10 or 15 minutes.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Looking around the engine bay and found two loose hoses, put the water hose in one and water came out the other as well as under the dash from the heater core. Pulled the heater core out and it has a large hole in it.....now on the hunt for another heater core, any ideas where to look? Also can someone post a picture of the engine compartment to determine where these hoses hook up? Thanks

Bakes or Discount Inboard Marine should be able to sell you a new core. I was able to get my core repaired at a radiator shop earlier this year for around 1/3 the price of a new one. I've also heard of people being able to find replacement cores at NAPA. I tried that but the input and output pipes on the one they had didn't line up with the holes in my housing.

i bought a boat and it had a split core from not being winterized properly by the previous owner...

if your core has a hole and its blowing cold air, but the lines are hooked up you will see alot of water on the floor near the heater.

This isnt good - you need to fix this asap as it effect cooling of the engine.

Perhaps the hoses have been terminated to take the core out of the loop so then you wouldnt have any heated water to go through the core and on the floor.

I was going to buy a replacement but since i had it pulled out anyhow I tried fixing it. I used some high temp plumbing epoxy and it worked great. There were 3 holes in the core and this was a great fix.

If you want a new core you can buy them from bakes.

Cheers