Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Broken illusion tower. What do I do?

Dirtdust

I would be suprised if your insurance company denied the claim. I don't think it's any different than hitting it on the garage door or drive thru roof etc. All of which would/ have been covered to my knowledge.

• Like 1

I guess I just don't follow the intent of your post.#7. Oh well.

The intent of my post was to say I think the weld would be adequate given the strength of the rest of the tower/ I never said I think a gusset is a bad idea, it's a good idea just I would start with the weld. Don't read between the lines and get your feelings hurt ;)

Edited by Indyxc
  • Like 1

The intent of my post was to say I think the weld would be adequate given the strength of the rest of the tower/ I never said I think a gusset is a bad idea, it's a good idea just I would start with the weld. Don't read between the lines and get your feelings hurt ;)

Feelings weren't hurt... I WAS however wondering how someone could question the advice I gave but I guess you weren't questioning it....

I still don't think a weld would be adequate haha :). It's all good anyway!

If the break is in the tube, I think welding the tower by a competent welder is a good idea. It's far less expensive than replacing the tower & I know at least 2 guys who have had no issues with welded repairs on a tower. But be aware that TIG welding is an art form & good quality welds come from a pro. If the break is in the cast part of the main hoop, then your screwed... there is no welding that part.

First one was a Monster tower. Two joints on the top corners of the rear hoop broke. He had all 4 of the upper joints welded with gussets & the tower is more rigid now than it ever has been.

Second one is a T3 on a Hydrodyne Gran Sport. They had a failure at the mid-point joint in one of the front legs. They had a pro weld the joint permanently, so it no longer collapses below the windshield. They will have to remove the tower from the boat now to get it in a standard height garage. So far no more failures from the weld or anywhere around it.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Insurance denied my claim. Said it is a manufacture defect! When in doubt blame it on someone else!

Anybody know of a web site to pick up a G3 for less than the dealers 4500?

I would go to Malibu directly and ask if they will help you out and sell you G3 at cost. Can't hurt, certainly won't cost them anything, assuming they have at least 1 extra tower that if it goes missing won't hold up production, and it will only buy them goodwill. As for "undercutting" their dealer network on parts sales, I don't think this is a valid case for that to apply considering the circumstances.

Insurance won't cover it. And when they find out the cost they most likely for sure won't cover it! :-)

They cover accidents and total loss, but not broken parts. If you're driving your car and the tranny blows up, would your insurance cover it? Nope. Same deal with the tower.

Now if you sink the boat or get in a car accident they will cover that. Make sense?

So leave the tower up while on the trailer and then back into your garage. Then your insurance will cover it. :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

So leave the tower up while on the trailer and then back into your garage. Then your insurance will cover it. :biggrin:

Did you ever talk to Malibu? Curious as to what they said.

They said because I wasn't the original owner they wouldn't cover it