Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buy LSV23 or VLX

dm001681

We have a family of 4 and regularly have other families of 4 or 5 join us on the lake. I was initially looking at the VLX however have started looking at the LSV23. We will primarily be wakeboarding and we are beginner/intermediate level. I have found a couple 2012 LSV's for pretty much the same price as a 2012 VLX so with that being the same I'm wondering the pros and cons of the LSV? Is the wake going to be too wide? Will the boat be too big for 4 of us to use, meaning is it just too big and heavy to be practical for 4 people? Will it be hard to resell due to its size/weight and people not wanting to trailer it? Or, will we love the extra room and the size of the wake and be able to grow into it? I would love to hear your thoughts so thanks in advance! Oh, what options are a must have?

Went throught this 3 months ago when we got our boat. Wife wanted a 23. I was leaning toward a 21. It's easier to handle and tow. We found a 23 and I'm glad that's the way we went. It's nice having the extra room when there are 9 or more on the boat. Resale is probably better on the 23 also.

Either will work just fine. The main thing to consider if all are boating people and know what they are doing having a 11 people in my VLX isn’t a problem. Several people that aren’t boating people is a problem imho. Extra weight and storage for the LSV are other variables. I’d say if you are serious about wakeboading I prefer the VLX but if you primarily surf the LSV has the edge on that. YMMV

Thanks guys! Does the 23 handle like a pig or is it pretty zippy? Does the LSV require more than factory ballast to have a good wakeboard wake or will the 4 ballast (including the bow) be enough?

Thanks guys! Does the 23 handle like a pig or is it pretty zippy? Does the LSV require more than factory ballast to have a good wakeboard wake or will the 4 ballast (including the bow) be enough?

The boat handles great even loaded down with ballast. It's a good enough wake with full wedge, but I prefer additional ballast - have 700# of lead plus usually run a 360# fat sac in the center. Typically when we ride, it's at most 4 people in the boat.

LSV... I love mine! Big family with lots of others who like to go with. Bigger is better, and the wake is great. Surfing is the next progression and you can pile the people in and use factory ballast and get a good enough wave to rock. Same price, no brainer- get the LSV!

Given this guy's scenario if he goes with the LSV is there a preferred engine this is a must have? I've seen several with the Monsoon 350 but have wondered if it is enough for a boat this size.

And yes, the 350 Monsoon is plenty with the correct prop. Bigger is better, but the Monsoon will get the job done. I now have the 8.1 and miss the fuel economy of the 350. I spend about $75 each outing now vs about $60ish with the 350. Some here say they get the same mileage with the bigger more powerful motor, but for some reason I don't :-)

Either will work just fine. The main thing to consider if all are boating people and know what they are doing having a 11 people in my VLX isn’t a problem. Several people that aren’t boating people is a problem imho. Extra weight and storage for the LSV are other variables. I’d say if you are serious about wakeboading I prefer the VLX but if you primarily surf the LSV has the edge on that. YMMV

:plus1:

I have a VLX (06 which is a little narrower than the 09+ hulls) and have a regular crew of about 6-9. We have plenty of room for our crew but I wouldn't want to spend all day on the boat with more than 9. I think there are a couple important questions you need to ask yourself...

1. How long have you been boating? What is your experience with towing? Past towing sizes? Past boats?

2. What is your tow vehicle? How often and far are you planning to tow?

3. How long do you plan on keeping the boat? Are you willing to upgrade in a few years if you find you're cramped?

4. Do you or any of your crew ski? This is probably the most important question as the Diamond VLX has a pretty good ski wake, but the LSV is pretty harsh.

5. How big are the people in your crew? Small kids take up less space than large adults.

6. While I don't doubt you can find an LSV and VLX that are similarly priced, those boats likely are not loaded the same. There is probably some trade-off (hours, options). That being the case, how flexible is your budget?

I generally recommend people get the smallest boat that will work well for them. That being said, from the little info you gave about yourself so far, I am leaning toward an LSV based on the fact that you have a fairly large crew, it doesn't seem like you ski and I get the impression you don't tow.

As for the options that are a must...that will likely be all over the board. Do a search and you will find several threads about this. Many people are going to talk about the 2013 surfgate since you are close in model years. Other must options are Wedge, bow ballast, upgraded prop (high alt), and heater if you're in the north.

Good luck! Let us know any other questions you have.

When I was considering upgrading last year, my initial preference was the VLX. However after evaluating the interior space and the small cost differential, I went with the LSV. We normally operate with a small crew of 4- 5 but when the family comes to town in summer, I really appreciate the extra space.

I upgraded from a 21' direct drive and expected a decrease in handling but was pleasantly surprised as the LSV handling is excellent. A couple of our friends are good wakeboarders and say the standard factory ballast (four tanks) is enough. However, myself and immediate family mainly surf and found the standard ballst was not enough with the small crew. As a result, I added an 1100lb Fly High sack (we're all goofy) in the right rear locker and love the new wake. I have the Monsoon engine and even with 12 -14 in the boat, have no problems with power. I should add that with 14, a number of them are small children so it may be a different story with 14 adults.

Go with the LSV :)

Jimmypooh - Let me see if I can provide more info about our situation.

• We have been boating two years and we are coming from a 21ft I/O
  • The boat will be kept at a marina and will not be towed, probably ever.
  • We plan on keeping the boat for many years as we have a 4 & 6 year old and hope it to be a great family activity as they grow up. We also anticipate as they get older bringing their friends with us.
  • Generally we don't ski. My boys wakeboard and tube at the moment and my wife and I only wakeboard.

With regards to price I have actually found a couple left over 2012 LSV's that are the same price and essentially the same equipped. All have power wedge, 4 ballast tanks, snap-in carpet. One has tower speakers w/sub and transom remote as well as a bunch of other small options. My biggest concern is that the LSV will just be too big and cumbersome to drive when it is only my family of four. Thanks!

dm- the one thing you left out that would help a bunch with reccomending options is how price sensitive are you? is 80k the top? $85k+? Reason is you are looking at 2012s... 2013s have surgate. HUGE difference in what you are able to do, as as a relative beginner from what you described....surgate for you would be a no brainer. depends on your financial sitatuon. I imagine you will pay around 5-7k$ more for a similiarly equipped 2013 surfgate vs 2012... but I would reccomend getting it. Your watersports interests will evolve and likely get a little more hardcore as you spend more time in a boat like this.

also, IMO dont look to buy an 80k+ boat worrying about resale.... well, as a primary consideration. You are gonna loose money buying a new boat. buy the boat to keep it for 5-10yrs of use for your family in mind.

But from what you described, I'd go with 23LSV, 6.0L motor, surfgate, small stereo package, base minimum trailer, P&P, no heater, no shower, no LEDs... keep the extras to a minimum....

big stereo, tower speakers, Sub, extra batteries, onboard charger, LEDs, heaters, 2nd set of board racks, you can have your dealer add later if/when you Identify you truly need/want those extras and they are worth the cost to you.

nyryan2001 - Thanks for the input. What I'm looking at now is an LSV at 69k which I believe to be a pretty good bargain. I agree the surfgate looks sweet but I don't think I could get into ANY boat with surfgate for less than 80k. I'm having a hard enough time getting used to spending 70k for a boat, 80k just seems like more than I can stomach. I realize that surfgate is huge, but an extra 10k+ seems like to high a price to pay for one option since the boats otherwise are the same.

I talked to a dealer about a '13 VTX and he was quoting 80k so I can't imagine what a VLX or LSV would cost.

$69k for the 2012 LSV sounds like a decent deal for a new boat. $80k for a VTX is insane, overpriced even with surfgate.

We had 10 people in my 2012 VLX at the Northeast WOW this year. It wasn't cramped but It could start to feel crowded if you spent an entire day that loaded up. If you normally have that many people the extra space of the 23 will be nice. Our home riding spot has a 22ft limit so the VLX is perfect for us.

Be sure and get extra board racks if that many people will be riding too. Being able to stow 8 boards on the tower frees up a lot of space and will save your vinyl. Get the non-spinning racks for the top set. They are angled up more sharply so they don't interfere with the lower spinner racks. They are also less expensive then the spinners (but still not cheap!)

309325_600086656481_733849219_n.jpg

Edited by Brett B

Jimmypooh - Let me see if I can provide more info about our situation.

• We have been boating two years and we are coming from a 21ft I/O
  • The boat will be kept at a marina and will not be towed, probably ever.
  • We plan on keeping the boat for many years as we have a 4 & 6 year old and hope it to be a great family activity as they grow up. We also anticipate as they get older bringing their friends with us.
  • Generally we don't ski. My boys wakeboard and tube at the moment and my wife and I only wakeboard.

With regards to price I have actually found a couple left over 2012 LSV's that are the same price and essentially the same equipped. All have power wedge, 4 ballast tanks, snap-in carpet. One has tower speakers w/sub and transom remote as well as a bunch of other small options. My biggest concern is that the LSV will just be too big and cumbersome to drive when it is only my family of four. Thanks!

Based on the above, I would suggest an LSV. If you don't ski, and the price is the same, go for it. As stated in a previous post, the handling difference is minor and the fuel is such a minor difference as compared to the extra space you will be gaining and the overall cost of the boat.

nyryan2001 - Thanks for the input. What I'm looking at now is an LSV at 69k which I believe to be a pretty good bargain. I agree the surfgate looks sweet but I don't think I could get into ANY boat with surfgate for less than 80k. I'm having a hard enough time getting used to spending 70k for a boat, 80k just seems like more than I can stomach. I realize that surfgate is huge, but an extra 10k+ seems like to high a price to pay for one option since the boats otherwise are the same.

I talked to a dealer about a '13 VTX and he was quoting 80k so I can't imagine what a VLX or LSV would cost.

If 10K is a big deal to you, I would suggest looking for a used 09-10 LSV. I'm pretty sure they are the same hull/boat (can someone confirm). You will probably be able to find one for about 10K less than the new 12 you're looking at.

Don't have any concern that an LSV will just be too big and cumbersome to drive with only four people on board. If we can't get a crew together, we will take the LSV out with three people (and a dog) and it's certainly not cumbersome - just plenty of room!!

• 2 weeks later...

I went through this same dilemma a few years ago when I bought by LSV and in fact I think I asked almost the same question on this board. I think you will find that most people will suggest the route they have taken. But I thought I would give you my two cents because this forum helped me. I have two kids 10-11. They were 7-8 when I bought my Bu. I was looking used and had planned to buy a VLX but came across an incredible deal on an LSV. I was worried about size, towing, etc just like you. From my experience we are very happy we got the LSV. Here are a few reasons why.

1. It doesnt seem any harder to tow, but I have an expedition

2. This was not my first boat but it was my first inboard. I learned really quickly how to drive it. I dont find it sloppy to drive at all. In fact if you watch the dvd that comes with the boat it will teach you how to dock very nimbly by feathering forward and reverse, I get in and out beter than all the runabouts at the gas dock or loading dock I see.

3. Even though we have a family of four, as your kids get older they will bring friends. Alot of time you may end up with the friends family. There are usually 6-8 peopl on our boat at all times but even when there are just four it doesnt feel huge for a couple of reasons. Sometimes you might want to sit in the front but most people dont. There is no shade up there (granted I am in Atlanta where it is hot) and the seat has no area for feet because of the ballast. So the front is rarely used for families. IF I was like some of these young guys with hotties sunbathing up there all the time different story but for a family guy with kids we just rarely sit in the front. Also if you are surfing you want everyone to one side. That extra length in the belly allows for a Fat sak on that side and room for a couple of people.

4. Toys, especially kneeboards. If your kids are still young enough (or their friends are unskilled enough) kneeboarding is the best option for a "group" day on the lake. You dont want to spend all day teaching folks to wakeboard or surf. I have done it, it sucks after a while. having kneeboards is a good thing for the neighbors kid to try and get used to being behind the boat, finding the rope etc. The extray length on the LSV makes it easier to hold kneeboards and still have room for everyone. my racks are full of surf and wakeboards.

In the end I only bought the LSV because it was a great deal but I am glad I did. The extra size is only an asset. If you can afford it I think you will be glad you got the extra space.

Edit to say, if tubing is the only way you can talk your wife into it I understand but dont tube behind a Bu, you are better than that man :) (says a guy whose daughters sometimes talk him into tubing)

Edited by Hartwell Bu

Hartwell Bu - thanks for the info! I pulled the trigger, contingent on a test drive this weekend on an LSV and we can't wait!! The winter waiting is going to be brutal but I'm crossing my fingers for an early spring.