Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

247 Surfgate video or pics?

nyryan2001

Yep, I know the 23 surfgates, I've surfed behind one. Specifically looking for the 247.

The video Flat posted has no 247s in it.

Wondering if the 247 surfgate results are less than impressive.....I know of 1 2013 247 surfgate owner....put 3hrs on the boat and its already for sale.

i had a chance to ride a 23 lsv with the gate and 2 500's aprox, in the rear and then a sacked 2010 lsv with aprox 3500 and the sacked 2010 totally out performed the surfgate boat. Its a really cool concept, just not what everyone thought. it smashes the wave flat and has a limited amount of push. the more weight the less shape and flatter it gets, so it is a loose loose. if you want a great shape, you need to keep the weight down, if you want a lot of push,you need more weight, then you loose the shape. not sure, but bu needs to add this to a deep v and an adjustable swim deck and it would kill. the deck needs to be out of the wave to really get the benefit of a non listed boat.

WE are 247 fanatics, and even post” we buy 247s”. We were recently offered a 2013 247 with the surf gate as well, the owners comments were almost identical in that the wave was smooth but not even close to his sacked 2011 that he gave up. This is the second article that nearly mimics his wave description and disappointment that I have seen. He sacked his 13 in hopes to achieve a deeper ramp with “in his words” what a waste of money and time just making bad worst. The boat has 12 hours on it and he said he was going to try and buy his 2011 back from a friend. His final assessment and comments are not appropriately publishable but you might imagine very colorful. In addition, He also lost faith in his local dealer by describing this and even offering to go out and show them, another colorful set of adjectives, intransitive verbs that while amusing showed discussed overall.

I hope these are inaccurate judgments or at a minimum curable.

I kinda knew there had to be issues. Else if it threw a great surf wave, they'd publish it to death.

Seems as though the technology is best suited for the smaller boats, till they truly get everything dialed in. GREAT results in the 21s and 23s.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the fence between a 2013 Tige Z3, 2013 X-30 and 2013 23LSV or 247LSV w/ surf gate.

We almost went with the Malibu but we caught the dealer baiting the demo.

When we went out on the boat they brought their "Pro" to show us just how great the Surf was and when he could not stay up for more than 20 seconds or so! I got uninterested in his performance and started looking through the lockers and found they put a 750 sac in each corner and I had specifically asked for the boat to be stock!

They had excuses anger excuses as to why it was sacked and ... We thought the 23 put up a better surf however the bait and switch the dealer tried "possibly it was a honest mistake" but I felt like I was being deceived !

The Tige does not have a dealer near my lake and they just came out with a new wake shaping device as well that could be interesting too. Look on Wake 9 and see it!

But we went surfing on the X30 and eventually purchased the Mastercraft. Yet to be delivered!

My point to this is go drive them all and try like we did to set an entire day up to do all boat types your interested in.

Everyone wants something different!

Also go up to the Knoxville TN area and walk through the Factory as Malibu and Mastercraft are only about 20 miles from each other!

Malibu did an amazing job of answering questions during them tour and I left there with the intent of buying the 23LSV until the dealer surprised me!

Crew,

the issues with the surf gate are related to weighting both sides of the boat. this greatly reduces wave size. ask me how i know? the 247 is a flat bottom boat. therefore weighting both sides greatly reduces wave height strength and power. we rock our boat with zero weight in the opposite locker.

though most of you here know me as a die hard malibu guy, i have been very disappointed with the surf couch and now the surf gate. the 247 makes the biggest wave of any boat in wakesurfing and that includes the 244 enzo. i understand the quick change. that is nice. but they could have accomplished this with a pure vert system and a super fast factory built in ballast bag filling and draining system. maybe at some point the R&D department will take note of what has been done with and said about the Wheelhouse 247 Surf Wave............

Stanley you do have a sweet wave, no argument about that. But I am not sure I 100% agree with all your comments. The concept of the surf gate is simple ..it changes the convergence of the wave at the back of the boat. This is the same thing weighting one side does. However the surf gate makes it safer as you don’t have to lean your boat as far to accomplish the same. I do however agree that a slight lean will produce a slightly nicer wave. Have you been out and used a surf gate? I bet if you had one and set it up the way you wanted to you would be a believer as well!

Edited by old skool malibu

We were on the fence between a 2013 Tige Z3, 2013 X-30 and 2013 23LSV or 247LSV w/ surf gate.

We almost went with the Malibu but we caught the dealer baiting the demo.

When we went out on the boat they brought their "Pro" to show us just how great the Surf was and when he could not stay up for more than 20 seconds or so! I got uninterested in his performance and started looking through the lockers and found they put a 750 sac in each corner and I had specifically asked for the boat to be stock!

They had excuses anger excuses as to why it was sacked and ... We thought the 23 put up a better surf however the bait and switch the dealer tried "possibly it was a honest mistake" but I felt like I was being deceived !

The Tige does not have a dealer near my lake and they just came out with a new wake shaping device as well that could be interesting too. Look on Wake 9 and see it!

But we went surfing on the X30 and eventually purchased the Mastercraft. Yet to be delivered!

My point to this is go drive them all and try like we did to set an entire day up to do all boat types your interested in.

Everyone wants something different!

Also go up to the Knoxville TN area and walk through the Factory as Malibu and Mastercraft are only about 20 miles from each other!

Malibu did an amazing job of answering questions during them tour and I left there with the intent of buying the 23LSV until the dealer surprised me!

The 750s were on the plug and play were they not? How is using factory plumbing not stock? why is that any different than the bow tank?

Stanley you do have a sweet wave, no argument about that. But I am not sure I 100% agree with all your comments. The concept of the surf gate is simple ..it changes the convergence of the wave at the back of the boat. This is the same thing weighting one side does. However the surf gate makes it safer as you don’t have to lean your boat as far to accomplish the same. I do however agree that a slight lean will produce a slightly nicer wave. Have you been out and used a surf gate? I bet if you had one and set it up the way you wanted to you would be a believer as well!

No i have not used a surf gate. However, every picture and video I have seen looks the same to me (and believe me I want this thing to improve our already great wave). A flat wave that has wash at the crest. As for safety we have over 2000 clockable hours on Malibu boats heeled over to one side. Never have we had an issue with safety......FWIW. I admire the stab at innovation but come on guys......

Aren't these the basics:

Weight=displacement=size

placement=shape

Surfgate has limited, if any, impact on size, it's only contribution is shape. If you don't like the gate-shape, weight one side. you're not "forced" to use gate anyway. IT is not a wake-builder. Therefore if Wheelhouse was looking on improving his wake with surfgate, I don't think it would, nor is that even the purpose. That said, would like to see a severely overweighted boat utilize surfgate and see the results. I have yet to see a slammed version. I will say this, with just stock ballast and wedge on my VTX, the results are extremely impressive. IT would take at least 1,000 pounds of extra weight to get the size and shape as good as it is with factory ballast and SG engaged, and will only gte better with some more weighted evenly.

Aren't these the basics:

Weight=displacement=size

placement=shape

Surfgate has limited, if any, impact on size, it's only contribution is shape. If you don't like the gate-shape, weight one side. you're not "forced" to use gate anyway. IT is not a wake-builder. Therefore if Wheelhouse was looking on improving his wake with surfgate, I don't think it would, nor is that even the purpose. That said, would like to see a severely overweighted boat utilize surfgate and see the results. I have yet to see a slammed version. I will say this, with just stock ballast and wedge on my VTX, the results are extremely impressive. IT would take at least 1,000 pounds of extra weight to get the size and shape as good as it is with factory ballast and SG engaged, and will only gte better with some more weighted evenly.

Here lies the problema...the surf gate is deployed on the opposite side of the rider. I thought the same as you until I learned this. This means the the opposite side must be weighted in order for the surf gate to work....in a 247 weight on the non surf side flattens the wave...

I'm saying you don't have to use surfgate if you prefer the "classic" weight one side approach If you want to use surfgate yes weight evenly. I don't know that Malibu set out to recreate your wave by designing surfgate Stanley. Yours is definitely a one off wave!

I got to put close to 3000 lbs above the factory weight in a 23. We encountered 3 problems. 1 ,when you sank the boat that much, the platform flattens the wave, as Doug Rose says above. 2, the opposite non deployed gate puts an annoying groove at the top of the lip. 3, the 6 liter motor, was working overtime to get us to 10.5 mph. I think if I buy one, I will put a spacer under the platform to lift it up, put a quick release pin in the opposite gate, and only run 750's in the lockers. The other option, would be to get a 247 and wheelhouse it out!

No i have not used a surf gate. However, every picture and video I have seen looks the same to me (and believe me I want this thing to improve our already great wave). A flat wave that has wash at the crest. As for safety we have over 2000 clockable hours on Malibu boats heeled over to one side. Never have we had an issue with safety......FWIW. I admire the stab at innovation but come on guys......

Do you have the by-pass kit from on your boat Stanley. As you mostly surf just wondering if you have had any issues with your cats?

I got to put close to 3000 lbs above the factory weight in a 23. We encountered 3 problems. 1 ,when you sank the boat that much, the platform flattens the wave, as Doug Rose says above. 2, the opposite non deployed gate puts an annoying groove at the top of the lip. 3, the 6 liter motor, was working overtime to get us to 10.5 mph. I think if I buy one, I will put a spacer under the platform to lift it up, put a quick release pin in the opposite gate, and only run 750's in the lockers. The other option, would be to get a 247 and wheelhouse it out!

If I understand correct you guys are suggsting the surf gates may work great for the smaler boats but once you get up to the 247 the concept doesnt work as well or at all?

Do you have the by-pass kit from on your boat Stanley. As you mostly surf just wondering if you have had any issues with your cats?

Bypass Kit?

07 had cats and was bullet proof. ran 692 hours over the course of a summer pulling 4-5K of water without one hiccup. Do not remember instaling a bypass

08 same motor same exhaust had issues. But we told the dealer it was water entering the fuel tank at the vent that was on the surf side. Don't know why this did not happen on the 07. They said it was not water...one day we pulled the high pressure fuel line and drained 3 gallons of water by cycling the key from off to acc about 50 times......this was on the second engine BTW and we ran less weight in this boat. Same on the bypass.

2010 first thing we did was move the fuel vent to drivers side by the front tie down clete. This boat has performed flawlessly........amd will yank the weight we throw at it with no problem. This is with the high altitude prop of course. Top in speed is well, lacking at best. But my boat is not a Malibu 247. It is a wave machine. Same on the bypass.

Edited by Stanley Wheelhouse

where did you put that weight? If a 2013 platform was dragging, there was definitely a weight placemnet issue. The new platform is substantially narrower to avoid cutting in the wake and is mounted at the same height as previous. So, if having a platform dig issue on a 2013, there was a placement issue IMO.

1100's in the lockers, 750 in the bow, factory ballast full. When you sink the boat that much, the platform flattens

Out the wave behind the boat. Malibu probably designed this for stock or 550 lbs in the lockers ( what they recommend )

If you add more weight , the platform needs to be higher up to compensate for the boat being lower in the water.

None of the boat manufacturers want to be liable for some of crazy amounts of ballast that we run, so I doubt that

Malibu is going to raise the platform. Most people that will be using surf gate just want to ride with out the rope.

You were putting 2500#s plus in the rear? I'm going to hazard a guess that that was the problem with the shape, in addition to, but not caused by the platform. SG will repsond great to more weight, but not to so much rear bias, neither would traditional list weighting either.