Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Poor man's shower?

poski

I'm looking for a quick & cheap way to get access to a hot water supply for the purposes of filling/refilling a small cooler. Being too hot isn't a problem since I can just mix in some lake water. Since it's just for filling up a cooler I'm fine opening the engine box for access, so don't need a ton of pressure or a pump I think. I'd be nice if there was enough so I can put the cooler on the floor though instead of low in the bilge area though. This is an 08 RLXi with monsoon & heater.

What would be the best way to go about it? Some kind of a quick drain valve on the block where you'd run a real shower hot water supply to? A Y on the heater return line with a valve I can open up and pour in to the cooler? This a good/bad idea?

just use either of the 2 block drains...should be on either side of the engine...there were 2 on my old skier...350 merc I think it was 3/8 inch NPT threads

I plumbed in a couple of showers...costs about $50 in parts, hose, valves and a shower head...I actually use the vegetable cleaner/spray attachment just like in your kitchen sink...Home Depot or Lowes.....takes about 1/2 day and a couple of beers and works better, IMHO, than the factory ones. certainly less to maintain and fix when it breaks!!

Can also use it to fill/freshen up the hot tub in the cooler months!!

I don't think I can use those with the knock sensors?

I have seen someone on this site do so, but then there was some debate as to if that would screww up the timing/time of the ping to get to the sensor??

One the LS3, there is a manifold/outlet near the front of the engine, just behind the driver seat...if not there, there has to be some drain plug to enable a person to drain/winterize the block...

My Hammerhead, which is similar to a Monsoon, has a drain plug on one side of the block and knock sensor on the other. You could use the drain plug or the outlet near the front of the engine.

Does the newer Monsoon have two knock sensors? Ours only has one. The shower feed typically comes off the other side (port on a DD).

I agree with above though. For simplicity, just put a diverter in one of the heater lines to use briefly to fill your cooler. Just make sure you don't leave the water diverted for too long. That water needs to return to the block.

Look into your exhaust manifold drains. Ours has a simple hose coupling for draining, you should be able to tie in there real easy with just off the rack home depot stuff.

Look into your exhaust manifold drains. Ours has a simple hose coupling for draining, you should be able to tie in there real easy with just off the rack home depot stuff.

not saying you are wrong but make sure that exhaust hose cooling is considered before stealing from the crossover hose.

I have seen someone on this site do so, but then there was some debate as to if that would screww up the timing/time of the ping to get to the sensor??

One the LS3, there is a manifold/outlet near the front of the engine, just behind the driver seat...if not there, there has to be some drain plug to enable a person to drain/winterize the block...

LS3 wasn't available as a marine motor in 2008. Regardless, it is a partial closed cooling motor, so unless you like to shower in hot coolant.........

I'm looking for a quick & cheap way to get access to a hot water supply for the purposes of filling/refilling a small cooler. Being too hot isn't a problem since I can just mix in some lake water. Since it's just for filling up a cooler I'm fine opening the engine box for access, so don't need a ton of pressure or a pump I think. I'd be nice if there was enough so I can put the cooler on the floor though instead of low in the bilge area though. This is an 08 RLXi with monsoon & heater.

What would be the best way to go about it? Some kind of a quick drain valve on the block where you'd run a real shower hot water supply to? A Y on the heater return line with a valve I can open up and pour in to the cooler? This a good/bad idea?

on my 2008 monsoon, there is a hose coming off of each of the exhaust manifolds that screw together. They are there for winterizing. Unscrew the hoses from each other and your exhaust manifolds drain. If you have those just add a T / T-Valve and connect a short hose. You would them have 160 degrees plus water. Not the safest, but certainly hot water on demand.

Edit - I see CoMtnBu beat me to it.

Edited by MalibuTime