Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2003 23 LSV surf gate (so far)

rugger

7/2013 EDIT: Updated the system this year with final. Much more polished and functional.
New thread: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44205-2003-surf-gate-v2/

This will really only apply to those with hulls like mine (2003 23 LSV diamond) that have the funky, curved transom with a step in it. If anything, maybe it'll spark another idea.

I mounted my gates a little differently, and have been using this setup for a while now. Works good for us.

Mounts: Instead of mounting straight to the back of the transom, I ended up making stainless brackets that bolt to the bottom of that step. Easy access to the bolts from the compartment (drill up) and I could easily swap out my gates if something better evolvesI ended up bringing them inside from the edge a bit too, because it really didn't seem to make a difference and I was paranoid about changing the ski wake with the brackets. The poles/actuators bolt right to the bracket underneath, instead of the vertical part of the hull.

Teak Deck: My deck was lengthened by one board (not for sufing) but also narrowed it for surfing. I did cut the edge to match the angle of the gates but I like the shape for traditional surf set-ups too. No drag at all.

Actuators: For the past month I've been using telescoping poles with bimini parts that I already had. I bolted them to Lenco actuator mounts, so I can swap out the poles for Lenco actuators pretty easily some day. The bad thing is the last time we were out the push button (with spring) jambed, so I will end up drilling it out and just using a pin.

Gates: I tried a few different shapes, all with subtle changes. These tuck up nicely and seem to work well when stowed (opposite side), so I went ahead and gel coated them. As the shapes evolve, I can always change if its worth it.

Performance: I'm sure it's not the ultimate set up, but it works awesome for my family. We ski, board, tube, etc, and this boat I've always felt was very versatile... now it's even more so. I've surfed more since having these gates simply because we had more time. My daughter and I surf goofy, and everyone else surfs regular. We'll switch back and forth all day long. The wave is much longer and more fun.

Not much for pics because I'm either surfing or driving but here are a few.

photo%25201.JPG

gate.JPG
photo%25203-1.JPG

And more here with a few in the water...

https://picasaweb.go...CJ2lj8rMhOaZ0QE#

Edited by rugger
  • Like 2

Yeah, I'll get some pics of just bracket and some better wake pics. They are basically a T shape at an angle with four bolts mounting it under the step. Still not sure that I love them but I was having a hard time with the shape of a gate (would have been really long with a huge gap when deployed if i just attached a gate to the vertical side of transom on the bottom.) So I went this route to get a nice contour to the hull. The gate swings down a bit into the wake, then up high enough when stored. It's just one way to do it, that's all.

The manual actuator poles have three holes for the push button to change the angle, mostly because I wanted to try different settings. Its been nuts around my house.... Kids in multiple sports so not a great deal of time to finish it the way I'd like to.

I'm sure I can find better wake pictures on my wife's phone. Sometimes it feels unreal. Much longer and more important for me is no bags on the seats or sides so that we can switch riders easily. We also have not really played much with weight. I know there's plenty of discussion about that stuff anyway.

I know my boat is not going to produce a monster wake compared to the newer boats unless really loaded up. But we have fun with it and wanted to share for anyone else thinking of adding it.

Yes, that's Folsom in background. The last few times we've been out it's been windy and choppy. Wish I could squeeze one more camping trip to bullards with the new setup.

Edited by rugger

Awesome!

I am planning on a winter build to do something similar. I would love to see pics of your mounting setup. Also, if you are ready to jump to electric actuators, I believe I found the right idea here:

http://www.shopepal.com/p-5945-lenco-102-series-standard-actuator-12v-4-14-stroke.aspx

A simple three-way switch could handle <Left |None| Right> gates open/closed.

That looks great.

I have the same Hull and would like to attempt this project. Any additional pictures of the mounting, brackets, hinges, it out of the water deployed etc. would be great. Even better if you happened to have any specs / measurements that could help me out / get started would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rugger,

You rock! I have the same hull (01 23LSV) and have tried 3 different poorman setups with moderate success at best. I love your solution. Did you have a machine shop make the mounts? what are the dimensions of the mounts? what kind of hinges? can wait for the pics, I have a winter project now.

Awesome man, hey my hang up with all of this is not having the system automated. What I mean is does the boat drive ok when your going back to pick up the rider since your surfgate doesn't automatically retract?

man your goofy wave is legit :rockon: What was your ballast and wedge setup? How fast?

Snap and post some more pics when you get time. Rock on, job well done.

Thanks man. Most common speed so far has been 10.5 for the big guys, and closer to 11 for the rest. Floating wedge. That shot was probably 500 in mid. 750s rear I think. I've always had more luck with less weight in the bow for my boat, although I know some people will disagree with that. The length of the wave is the best improvement (and lack of bags on seats). I ride a XXX Nitro, average skill probably, and the playground is now longer.

That looks great.

I have the same Hull and would like to attempt this project. Any additional pictures of the mounting, brackets, hinges, it out of the water deployed etc. would be great. Even better if you happened to have any specs / measurements that could help me out / get started would be appreciated.

Thanks

Will do. You can always PM as well.

Rugger,

You rock! I have the same hull (01 23LSV) and have tried 3 different poorman setups with moderate success at best. I love your solution. Did you have a machine shop make the mounts? what are the dimensions of the mounts? what kind of hinges? can wait for the pics, I have a winter project now.

I made the brackets, 3/16 stainless steel plate. I would build them a little different if I were to do it again, but not sure that I ever will. Never polished them since they were a trial, but I think the setup is still clean looking. You could probably get away with one weld and bent plate.

But for our transoms, it does work very well and bolts up clean. They are heavy duty stainless 4 x 4 hinges affixed as one piece to the bracket, and then I drilled 3 holes to attach to the gate. I have better ideas now... but don't know that I'll ever have the energy to change them. PM me and I'll be more than happy to measure, discuss, etc.

Awesome man, hey my hang up with all of this is not having the system automated. What I mean is does the boat drive ok when your going back to pick up the rider since your surfgate doesn't automatically retract?

The boat does not steer as well if turning against with gate deployed. So for me it's easy because I usually drive when the starboard gate is deployed (my side) for the regular wake surfers. So I stop, turn the boat to drivers side and pick the rider up on the drivers side like usual. No issue whatsoever. In fact it may help you turn to that side. But turning to the other side, opposite the gate, is a little more challenging.

Automated is better of course, and that is my goal, but driving with a deployed gate is no worse than a fully listed boat IMO. It might even be better. My boat handled like you know what with all the weight on the side. Now it's at least balanced.

However when we tried the tall gates (x2 height), it was a nightmare. No way I would do that without automated gates. So it may depend on the size of the gates too. Lenco actuators would be absolutely be the best -- but I could easily wait a few summers with this set-up and still be happy. Hope that answered your question to some degree.

Edited by rugger

Rugger... With the gates x2 high, how did it affect slow speed steering? At x2 high, aren't they out of and above the water at idle speeds?

Did you mean x2 deeper?

Yeah steering was worse with the x2 setup I had. Surf speed and turning around to get rider was horrific. No, not deeper... the idea was when you have the rear of the boat super loaded, the gates and platform are submerged well below where they normally sit, so you are potentially not getting the full effect of divergence because water goes over the gates instead of diverging. I thought I had a real clever way of increasing the gate height as needed for different weights. So the gates were taller, above the platform, not deeper below the hull. So when weighted down it had more surface area to diverge the water. I still think there's a lot to learn with this, but for me the one day we tried this, the results weren't that much better and my boat handled like crap. So we switched back to the gates I have on there now.

I've got more ideas, and realize there are so many variables to play with. But I'll let the smart people continue innovating. I'm done for a while and have enjoyed the setup so far.

Your boat would be so much fun to play with for surf gates. Can't wait to see what the 247s can pull off.

Edited by rugger

Rugger, thanks.

Actually pretty concerned... Beginning to wonder I there is an issue with the 247s and surfgates.... Why else would there be nothing on them yet anywhere?

Beginning to wonder if there are diminishing returns with the larger boats. The 23 surfgate I was behind max out with 400s on the trunks, nothing in the rear tanks. Nice wave there with that though.

I was out surfing this weekend for about 3hrs... Completely slammed and yes leaning, we had a blast on the huge waves. Until i see a surfgate wave that can beat what I already have.... I will stick with what I have. But I am watching real close!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...