Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

noob with '87 skier with commander engine-manuals?

jfergvt

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I am the proud new owner of an '87 skier in the Mork and Mindy suspender color scheme. I am smitten. The boat has a commander 300 engine and I'm having a lot of trouble finding references for an engine manual, or owners manual. Any help would be gretly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Welcome and congratulations on the 'bu.

Wish I could help with the engine. On this website, there is a pretty good list of manuals for all the Mallibu's. It's under the "resources" tab above, then "specifications".

Steve B.

Circus circus boat--nice!! Love them and welcome.

Commander marine used mostly Ford blocks (distributor in front), and if that's what you have you have a very rare boat indeed. I can't help with a manual or even a contact because they are long gone, but many Mastercrafts and other manufacturers of that vintage use Ford engines, hopefully parts will interchange.

The number 300 is a little confusing, though. Ford blocks are 302 or 351 and that's normally what Commander would label with.

Could you link to pictures of the engine? And of course the boat too.

Steve B. and jk13,

Thanks for the notes. It is definitiely a Ford 351. Maybe the engine was swapped out at some point in time? I'll check out the mastercraft sites for links to a manual. I'll try to post pictures, that is a bit tech for me at this pint.

Thanks,

Jeff

Maybe we can help anyway, what parts or info are you looking for? Or do you want the manual just in case?

So many of these simple machines share common parts, even on different engine configurations. I think it's entirely possible that boat left the factory with that engine in it. It may not have, but it's possible. Back then there were many trial boats, promos, special orders and the like. Back in the day MC had Ford 351s, Holman Moody big blocks, and Chrysler 440s all in the same hull.

Skidim.com may have some answers, get the serial number off the motor and give them a call. It's worth a shot.

jk13,

At this point I am just gathering manuals and materials to have on hand for maintenance, winterization etc. The boat is in such nice shape I'd like to take proper care of it. Thanks for the tip about skidim.com.

Jeff

Wonder if it has a mallory single point distributor? I'm showing my age, lol.

In the end, you'll go thru everything and learn every nut and bolt. It's the journey sometimes that has more value than the dollar amount. At least that's what I tell myself.

Keep us posted,

Steve B.

• 3 years later...
On 9/19/2012 at 10:01 AM, jfergvt said:

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I am the proud new owner of an '87 skier in the Mork and Mindy suspender color scheme. I am smitten. The boat has a commander 300 engine and I'm having a lot of trouble finding references for an engine manual, or owners manual. Any help would be gretly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

I am original owner of a 1987 Malibu Skier "Circus Circus"  I do have a Owners Manuel for the motor It is limited.  Its is in spanish and English.