Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Noob to Malibu, proud owner of an'85 Skier!

MalibuUSMC

Hi All,

I just received a semi-new :rockon: Malibu Skier. It's been stored covered under a car port for the last 12 years or so. I have owned 3-seater Sead Doo's in the past but this is my first boat. The Chevy Merc in this bad boy has only 190 hours on it. It needs a little TLC of course, but it really was treated decent in its day. The owner never covered it until it was all dry and you can sure tell with a quick inspection of the floor boards and below. The interior is desent for its age, I just notice a bit of cracking down by the staple lines under the seats.

So now what? Change the fluids, add a new battery and maybe get the gas tank cleaned out? Is there somethig more I should do before I attemt a maiden voyage? Is it OK to dry start it for a bit out of water to see if and how she runs or should I grab one of those toilet plunger connections first?

So far this site has been great, a lot of info to navigate and some awesome pics of members boats!

Here's a link to the pics...hope it works! https://plus.google....sts/JDP6FCPoAnN

Thanks,

Semper Fi

Jason

Edited by MalibuUSMC

Congratulations!

Yes, change oil and trans fluid, clean out gas and start fresh.

As important is to change the impeller in the raw water pump. You do not want that breaking up on you--it quickly becomes a real mess.

After all that put in on a fake-a-lake. We do before every trip to the ramp, just to be sure. Nothing worse than sitting on the ramp on the trailer and not starting.

Good luck.

Welcome1

Dont dry start the motor. Get a fake a lake or make your own from a plunger, you can also add a flush kit if you wish.

You will need to change all fluids, including the gas in the tank. You will also need to clean the carb as the fuel in there most certainly has turned into varnish. A new impeller is a must. I would also do a full tune up, plugs wires etc wont cost much and wont hurt. This will also give you the oppertunity to inspect everything as you go through it.

Take your time getting that motor ready to run, make sure it is ready before you try and start it.

Have fun working this winter on your new Bu'

Hi All,

I just received a semi-new :rockon: Malibu Skier. It's been stored covered under a car port for the last 12 years or so. I have owned 3-seater Sead Doo's in the past but this is my first boat. The Chevy Merc in this bad boy has only 190 hours on it. It needs a little TLC of course, but it really was treated decent in its day. The owner never covered it until it was all dry and you can sure tell with a quick inspection of the floor boards and below. The interior is desent for its age, I just notice a bit of cracking down by the staple lines under the seats.

So now what? Change the fluids, add a new battery and maybe get the gas tank cleaned out? Is there somethig more I should do before I attemt a maiden voyage? Is it OK to dry start it for a bit out of water to see if and how she runs or should I grab one of those toilet plunger connections first?

So far this site has been great, a lot of info to navigate and some awesome pics of members boats! I'll try and get some pics added shortly as well.

Thanks,

Semper Fi

Jason

Thanks

and install a pertronix kit in it...get rid of those pesky points

and might NOT be a bad idea to remove the plugs and add a shot of WD40 in each cylinder and rotate crank by hand...after all it has been sitting for quite awhile

Edited by jkendallmsce

WD 40 will work also use fogging oil, make sure to change out the fuel filter/seperator as well as all the above.

Looks like you have a beautiful boat there, enjoy and welcome to the Crew!

Edited by kengrutza

Welcome to TMC, that is a sweet looking boat. There was another thread on a boat that had been stored for a long time about 3-4 months ago and there was a lot of good advice on that. I think that boat had some additional storage issues. You might want to search for it, I 'll post it up if I can find it.

The only thing I would add to what everyone else is saying is make sure you don't put it in gear, at all, on the trailer. Besides being a safety issue, the shaft packing will be bone-dry.

Also, there are several here that prefer removal of your water intake hose and hooking the garded hose to it instead of using fake a lake, for a variety of reasons.

Welcome to the crew!

I would also do a full function check to be sure that you don't have any other issues out on the water. Check your BLOWER, BILDGE PUMP, lights, horn, etc ... If this is your first boat, be extra sure to run your blower for at least a few good minutes before starting the boat and any time you are at idle speed. Also, you will notice that inboards naturally leak water so be double sure that your bidlge pump is working well.

Also go over the trailer well before heading out (grease hubs, check brakes, winch, winch strap, tie downs). When the boat is off the trailer for the first time, it is also a good time to check your trailer bunks.

Have fun and be safe! You will love how your boat performs compared to one of those lake-lice machines! :biggrin:

Lake-lice, haha...had to Google than one!

Thanks all for the sound advice. I'll post my progress as time goes. Here in Cali we can boat thru October-November even, but I'm not sure I'll have her sea worthy by then, I'll most likely take my time as a CA winter project!

Cheerios.

Congrats, and welcome.

Full tune up. Check tranny fluid. As said above, dont dry start. When you do get ready to rock and roll, turn engine over with no plugs, to get oil into those very dry cylinders.

Steve B.

• 2 weeks later...

Love was in the air...after following most of your advice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3uUvp4BG5c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And after a couple starts and letting her relax, she started but I had no water flow anymore.

There was a good amount of rust chunks flowing the first couple minutes then it ran clear. After sitting 20 min she started but no water flow. The exhaust just dried up.

I'm embarrassed to say I had yet to change the impeller, could that be the issue or maybe the water pump or a hose line might be clogged?

It all went great then she seemed to get constipated. Any thoughts on the problem or tips on a solution?

I did double check my fake a lake, it still seemed seated etc...

Thanks for the help all!

Edited by MalibuUSMC

Like others said should have bought a brand new impeller. Some people buy a new impeller every season so it does not fail on the water. Did you ever open the water pump to check the impeller. If it is all busted up now you many have little rubber chunks in the whole cooling system that need to be cleaned out. Don't skimp on ANY of the parts mentioned above and you should have a strong engine for years to come. I would look very closely to all the hoses on the engine for cracks and don't forget the gas lines, not sure if mentioned above but new fuel filter. Great looking boat.

jkendallmsce

embarrassed is right!!!

follow ALL the advice...years, even decades of experince here....you liked what jk13 had to say, but then don't follow his advice?? not sure if I understand that one....after sitting that long, REPLACE the impellor...you can ruin an engine quickly if there is no water to cool it...

NOw you're gonna have to clean out all the rubber chunks, cause the impellor is in about a 1000 pieces.....

Edited by jkendallmsce

Great points you both made. I was and eager beaver, but it only ran for 30 to 45 secs max after I started it and noticed no water flow. Then temp gauge looked as if it was no more that 140 degrees.

So I guess I'll pull the impeller housing and see if that's the deal.

Any other thoughts since it really purred like a kitten after 15 years? What were those huge chunks about the size of a nickel that spit out? def not rubber.

Edited by MalibuUSMC

First I just want to say that is a very nice boat. Change the impeller. I would say the chunks are rust in the exhaust manifold not sure just an idea. I would say over the winter having them boiled. (I think thats what they call it) Good idea to check the oil every time you crank it over the next few runs.

Make sure you clean out the tranny cooler, it will catch all the parts to your impeller that has come apart, There may also be some in the bend of the water line that will clog the cooler when it is running but settle down in the hose when no water is flowing, be sure to get those pieces out as well. Impellers are cheep some do it every year some every other year, a lot of us carry a spair on the boat. (last years impeller) On a direct drive takes about 15 min to change on the water. The V drive guys have a little bit more difficulty on getting them changed on the water but it is not impossible. You can buy a puller if you want or use a couple of paint can openers (the ones you get with the paint at home depot or lowes). The paint can openers work well on the direct drives as you have good access, again the v drive guys are in a bit of a difficult spot.

jkendallmsce

Make sure you clean out the tranny cooler, it will catch all the parts to your impeller that has come apart, There may also be some in the bend of the water line that will clog the cooler when it is running but settle down in the hose when no water is flowing, be sure to get those pieces out as well. Impellers are cheep some do it every year some every other year, a lot of us carry a spair on the boat. (last years impeller) On a direct drive takes about 15 min to change on the water. The V drive guys have a little bit more difficulty on getting them changed on the water but it is not impossible. You can buy a puller if you want or use a couple of paint can openers (the ones you get with the paint at home depot or lowes). The paint can openers work well on the direct drives as you have good access, again the v drive guys are in a bit of a difficult spot.

The impellor on an 85 is a tad tougher to access and will take about an hour minimum to replace....not like the new ones where it is right out in front eassy to access....it is pulley driven, and located down right behind the driver's seat and you have to remove the entire pump to access the impellor....at least that is how I always did it...you'd have to stand on your head to access it.

And don't be fooled by the water temp gage....it is meant to measure water temp, not air temp, and if you were not getting any water, the piston, cylinder walls, heads, etc get hot mightly quickly....that impellor is crucial to cooling that engine which will make it last longer.

There is a kit you can buy that includes the rubber impellor, gaskets, etc. AND the housing the impellor rotates inside of, I would recommend doing that, as the original housing is plastic. and 2 problems occur, aftre 25 years it becomes brittle and it wears out just like most other rotating parts, with the biggest problem that is takes longer to prime and supply needed water to the engine...I thnk it was about $100 for the kit.. GET IT!! Either a good NAPA or any online shop/store will have.

probably a good idea to replace some fan, impellor belts while you have it off...as I am sure they are 20+ years old...and cheap to replace.

and if not replacing all the above stuff/parts, you may want to invest in a quality tow rope...casue it sucks being stranded out on the water!!

You should remove the water hose on the supply side of the transmission cooler remove all the chunks trapped there, and then backflush to remove any remaining chunks. And there will be lingering chunks..... If sitting that long, the impellor would have disintigrated into a 1000 small rubber parts that if they get into the engine can become lodged in waterways...which will utimately lead to engine failure.

Edited by jkendallmsce

Impeller!

Who knows if it even had one in it. That's why you gotta do your P/M, and assume the worst.

Another tip - put a pump or two of grease into the rudder fitting. There is probably a zirk on the top. That's probably the only zirk on your boat (which, I must say, is a beauty!)

• Like 2

The impellor on an 85 is a tad tougher to access and will take about an hour minimum to replace....not like the new ones where it is right out in front eassy to access....it is pulley driven, and located down right behind the driver's seat and you have to remove the entire pump to access the impellor....at least that is how I always did it...you'd have to stand on your head to access it.

And don't be fooled by the water temp gage....it is meant to measure water temp, not air temp, and if you were not getting any water, the piston, cylinder walls, heads, etc get hot mightly quickly....that impellor is crucial to cooling that engine which will make it last longer.

There is a kit you can buy that includes the rubber impellor, gaskets, etc. AND the housing the impellor rotates inside of, I would recommend doing that, as the original housing is plastic. and 2 problems occur, aftre 25 years it becomes brittle and it wears out just like most other rotating parts, with the biggest problem that is takes longer to prime and supply needed water to the engine...I thnk it was about $100 for the kit.. GET IT!! Either a good NAPA or any online shop/store will have.

probably a good idea to replace some fan, impellor belts while you have it off...as I am sure they are 20+ years old...and cheap to replace.

and if not replacing all the above stuff/parts, you may want to invest in a quality tow rope...casue it sucks being stranded out on the water!!

You should remove the water hose on the supply side of the transmission cooler remove all the chunks trapped there, and then backflush to remove any remaining chunks. And there will be lingering chunks..... If sitting that long, the impellor would have disintigrated into a 1000 small rubber parts that if they get into the engine can become lodged in waterways...which will utimately lead to engine failure.

Glad they chenged that engine design, is there a kit to relocate it while he is working on his new Bu'?

Thanks again all. Can anyone tell me if this is the correct kit for my 85 Merc Competition Ski?

http://www.wholesale...p/46-807151A14/

Also I'm a bit confused on what engine I have, one web store it lists the below:

1. Mercruiser Model 5.7L (SKI) INBOARD GM 350 V-8 1985-1987

2. Mercruiser Model 5.7L COMPETITION SKI INBOARD GM 350 V-8 1987-1995

Mine is suposed to be an '85 Skier, but the branded cover on the carb says "Mercruiser 5.7l Competition Ski Inboard".

My serial numver falls in the 1st engine model above, but the cover says the 2nd engine model (Competiton Ski inboard).

So which one is it?

pics of the engine here ....https://plus.google....sts/JDP6FCPoAnN

Edited by MalibuUSMC
jkendallmsce

call these folks:

http://www.skidim.com/

be on your cell in the boat, so you can give them serial numbers they will need to give you the right parts...they will be able to get you the right parts you need. They are very helpful.

Then keep a list of the parts, part numbers so when you call then next year, you'll save everyone time....and money.

always go with the seral #, the plastic cover may not be the original...my `1990 had a different plastic cover over the carb.

and that looks like the right kit...Merc put that pump on all their engines for 10-15 years...and be careful when putting it back together again...you boat is a LH rotation, and you can plumb in backwards. you'll see on the part with the 2 hose connections a LH and RH....yours is LH.

Put that back on correctly and getting enough water to the engine will be solved...for right now anyway...that rubber impellor is crtical to keeping your engine from overheating. At the max, repalce every other year.

Edited by jkendallmsce

OK, doesn't seem as bad as it could have been. Most of the impeller is accounted for (see pic below). I count 8 fins and I almost have all of them with any number of small pieces unaccounted for.

https://plus.google....64/albums/posts (thank god I uploaded everything a trillion times) Fackin Google!

I think I shut her down real quick which may have saved a complete disintegration. Any thoughts?

As always thanks for your help and support.

Edited by MalibuUSMC