Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vdrive alarm and light came on

Last outing in the 99 VLX after a full day of wakeboarding and surfing, I decided it was time to head back to the ramp. A couple miles from the no wake zone, I opened it up to WOT to run it for a minute, once I hit the no wake zone, I noticed the Vdrive light and buzzer was on so I shut it down. Checked oil in Vdrive and it was a little low, but was some on dipstick, checked trans. and it was good, gushes on dash were good. Decided to crank it up and start the long idle back to ramp and the buzzer/light stayed on for a while and finally went off. The thing that has me worried now is, there is a strange noise now when the boat is put in gear, kind of like a cross between a squeal and a whining noise. I had 2 younger kids with me so really no one to drive the boat so I could really try to locate the noise, but I was focusing on getting it to the ramp and on the trailer. It does not make the noise in neutral, it does not really sound like a grinding or cluncking noise, and it shifts in and out of gear fine. It does seem to rev up a little bit once in gear and then come back down, but only for a split second and not a big rev, but noticeable just listening to the motor.

What do I need to start checking?

I have checked the transmission cooler screen to make sure it was not clogged.

I want to go drop it in the water now that I topped off the Vdrive oil and have a helper with me that can drive in idle while I listen and locate the noise.

JW, IME if you get air in a power steering pump you will get the squeal/whine, could of been when you hit WOT lifting the bow might of introduced air somehow if the oil level was a little low in the VD. In general the Walters VD is about as simple as a can of beans so unless you had something out of the norm happen to it internally, which would be rare it was probably a freak occurance. I know for me when stuff like this happens I tend to think I hear knew noises, but if all of the levels check out and you don't smell or see anything out of the ordinary you are probably good. I do know that my '06 Walter looked like Stevie Wonder wired in the VD oil pressure sensor. It could be you are having issues with the wires at the connectors or you o.p.s.is getting ready to go out. I beleive I have read on here a few times about guys replacing those. Good luck. Bill

wdr, thanks for the encouragement, that helps me out by not making me as sick to my stomach! I hope that is all it ends up being.

I do know that the noise was loud since everyone else in the boat heard it as well, even in the bow. I may have to try to make time to slip it in the water this week to see if it happens again and really try to pinpoint where it was coming from. It made the noise after the light went off idling all the way to the ramp (about 1.5 miles) and putting it on the trailer any time when in gear.

jw, if the noise was that noticable I would call the dealership to see what they think. I got the occasional odd whine, but nothing consistant like you describe. Really the only way to get anything other than the 30W in the VD is throught the dip stick or the vent/breather cap. You didnt say anything about water intrusion back there, and an output shaft seal or loose sump pan would have oil in the bilge, so I can only guess that a low oil issue might of been/be the problem. Might want to try and sample some oil to see if you find it pink or god forbid with shrapnel before you potentially do more damage. Bill

Another thought just occured to me. It may not even be the VD, could be the belt going bad and the noise was just travelling funny. In an '01 it may be due if you haven't replaced it already. That would an easy in the drive way check and fix.

I will definetly take another look, when I checked on the water, the oil looked good, at least the little bit on the dipstick a little under the low mark (at least it wasn't bone dry). I didn't think to look for metallic pieces, but will. Didn't notice any oil or oil residue in the bilge when I was pulling the plugs, so hopefully just adding oil may work. Bilge area was pretty dry inside to since I replaced the shaft packing about a month ago, but water has never really been very high prior to that.

Think I found my problem, noticed part of a strut bushing hanging out between the prop and strut. After removing the prop, now I notice that the shaft is not centered in the strut, and strut looks bent. Hopefully drive shaft is ok!

On to another thread dealing with this now.