Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Speaker Levels...

CrackHoar

Guys,

Quick question, I have a Malibu Response with and Alpine head unit with one set of pre outs (Front)

The in boat speakers are driven by the head unit.

The pre out is connected to an Exile Harpoon Amp powering Two XM7 tower speakers.

Back to the problem.

When I turn up the stereo so the rider can hear the music, the in boat speakers are way to load for everyone in the boat. At this stage I've been turning off the in boats when cranking the Towers.

Is there any other options I can look at without buying more gear...

Any help appreciated.

Crack

Edited by CrackHoar

The ideal option would be to install an amp for the in-boat speaker. Then, install some sort of zone volume controller that will give you independent volume control for the tower and in-boat speakers. Due to forum rules, though, I can not name any specific brands in a public thread, but there are a handful of these type devices out there that work well.

CH,

The original statement isn't entirely clear since you stated that you are already turning off the in-boat speakers. Many people depend on the tower speakers only when pulling since the tower speakers are pushed so hard to reach the rider and deliver plenty of radiation in the boat. But if you want more control and the ability to blend zones here are a couple of choices. I'm going to assume that presently you can fade away from the rear in-boat speakers that are on the fader opposite of the tower speakers.

Add a small two-channel amplifier to drive the four in-boat speakers and a level control to split the single pair of RCA outputs. This will give you full zone control with full on or off of either zone or the option to blend at any degree.

You can eliminate the external zone control by running the rear outputs high level into the external amplifier that drives the four in-boat speakers and have full zone control between the zones provided the source unit is in a convenient location. Sometimes the quality passes and sometimes it won't depending on the gear.

Considerably raise the input gain on the tower amplifier in order to compensate for the source unit running out of power much earlier than the tower amplifier. This may also raise the noise floor and increase the hiss level.

Use the fader to control balance between the rear in-boat speakers and the tower speakers controlled off the front fader. Add a switch to turn-off the front in-boat speakers.

Do not wire four in-boat speakers in parallel off the rear source unit power in order to gain full zone control from the built-in fader.

The best and lasting option is still going to be adding an external amplifier as mentioned above by first posters.

David

Guys,

Can I connect a 2 Channel JL Audio XD200/2 to the Pre out on the Exile Harpoon Amp.

I'll then run the four Rockford Fosgate speakers (50W) to the 2 Channel JL amp.

Hopefully then i can use the JL Remote level control to turn down the Rockford Fosgate speakers?

Does this make sense?

When I connect the Cabin speakers should I connect the fronts to one channel and the rears to the other? Or left to one channel and right to the other.

Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate it

Crack.

Crack,

'IF' I follow you correctly then that scheme would give you control to attenuate the in-boat amplifier. But, you won't be able to do the inverse independently. So I'm not excited about that particular approach, again, if I understand correctly.

Drive the tower amplifier using the RCAs. Drive the in-boat amplifier high level (speaker level) from the source unit outputs from the opposite side of the fader from the RCA outputs. The equipment described gives you this provision and this provides independent and full zone control, ie: total off, total on of either zone and any degree of blend. If the input levels are set properly it should be clean enough with the inboat amplifier running high level. Keep in mind that the source unit amplifier will clip a little earlier than the source unit preouts and this is really easy to compensate for. This scheme will give you all the control you are looking for until you add an external dual zone control in one form or another.

David

Here is another way to do it.

Run your RCA's to the Clarion EQS746 and mount it under your dash:

http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-EQS746-Graphic-Equalizer-Crossover/dp/B000EZV3T8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348608446&sr=8-1&keywords=clarion+equalizer

Now this will convert your 2-channel RCA's to 6-channels, running 2 to your sub amp, 2 to your tower amp, and 2 to your in-boat amp of choice.

'IF' I follow you correctly then that scheme would give you control to attenuate the in-boat amplifier. But, you won't be able to do the inverse independently.

David,

Does this mean i can turn down the cabin speaker amp but not the tower speaker amp?

Crack

Crack,

Correct. You could turn down the inboat amplifier independently but any means used to turn down the tower amplifier, such as the radio fader for example, would also turn down the inboat amplifier.

So use the method I suggested which will not require any additional equipment and will give you full control until you decide on an EQ or four channel line driver/controller or another option.

In the end, the ideal option will give you full control from a convenient location.

David

David, Now I get it.

Change the head unit outputs to RCA an connect to 2 channel Amp.

Fade to front - Towers Louder

Fade to back - Cabin Louder.

Perfect. Thanks so much for being so patient with me.

One more question. When I connect to the two channel amp should I connect the fronts together and the rears together or Lefts and Rights.

Would a four channel amp be a better solution. Maybe that way I can have the front inboats not as loud as the rear inboats. Or is this not possible.

Thanks again.

Crack.

Crack,

You would have the source unit front RCAs connected to the tower amplifier.

You would have the source unit rear speaker leads connected to the inboat amplifier.

You would not have to convert the source unit rear speaker leads to RCA with an external adapter if the amplifier already has 'high level' input provisions.

With a two channel inboat amplifier you would parallel the two left speakers and parallel the two right speakers.

If you have speakers atop the dash, a four channel inboat amplifier will give you the ability to gain the front and rear speakers independently to offset the positional advantage of the front speakers thereby bringing all four speakers into balance from your perspective.

David