Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Shoulder Injury

WTF

Just wondering how many of you in Malibuland have dislocated your shoulder skiing? I first dislocated mine 4 years ago. I went four years without a problem and then took a good fall going around 5 ball. Put my shoulder out. Now have to have surgery I'm sure. A little reluctant on getting back out on the ski after the surgery and rehab time. Anyone else ever go through this? What's the prognosis?

Hi,

One of the skiers I met Sat. told me the exact same story. After the pretty intense surgery and rehab he was back on his ski in 6 months, and he skied so good.

So, there is at least one big success story out there, and I hope another for you before next summer starts!

I have never dislocated one, but I do have 5 new holes in both of my shoulders I didn't have 50 years ago. The trick to coming back is don't slack off on rehab and take a total body approach to getting back into shape. I was told 6-8 months back to normal, of course most people around here don't ski or wb so I was a bit leary on the prognosis.

had both shoulders "fixed" through surgery - did both surgeries one year apart during the winter - that total body approach to rehab is some good advice. you can get through it - mine are better now than ever...

I dislocated my shoulder in a fall that was not related to skiing 11 years ago. Rehab is the key for the most part. Some dislocations create more damage than others and getting a good surgeon is also key. I have had the surgery twice on my right shoulder. Decided to go tubing one day against my wife's advice and destroyed my first surgery after 4 years. Oh and my wife is a physical therapist so I hear it all the time on what I should and shouldn't be doing with my shoulder. This is the strongest advice I can give. Ask a physical therapist which surgeon has the highest success rate. Keep in mind the PT sees all the people after surgery. My first surgery was with the second place doctor in my area because he fit my schedule. I can tell you the second time I used the doctor my wife wanted me to use and it was night and day after the surgery. Down side for me is the second doctor told me I don't have enough ligament left for a third try so I can tell you I don't one hand the rope anymore. :cry: Good Luck and do what your doctor and pt tell you to do.

Just wondering how many of you in Malibuland have dislocated your shoulder skiing? I first dislocated mine 4 years ago. I went four years without a problem and then took a good fall going around 5 ball. Put my shoulder out. Now have to have surgery I'm sure. A little reluctant on getting back out on the ski after the surgery and rehab time. Anyone else ever go through this? What's the prognosis?

What exactly is wrong with the shoulder (which muscles/tendons/etc), and where are you located? I had rotator cuff surgery done in February in Grand Rapids, MI. Complete tear in the subscapularis, partial tear in supraspinatus, biceps tendonesis/slap repair and lots of bone spurs. Great doctor, great PT. You need both. A bad PT can mess up the work of a good doctor (or slow/limit the progression) and there is not much a great PT can do if a bad doctor did the work. I've heard lots of stories all across the board.

I started wakeboarding in June, full at it one handed with everything (wakeboard, barefoot, etc) since July. I'm still gaining additional range of motion and strength, but I'm really close to 100% (or better).

Great doctor, great PT. You need both. A bad PT can mess up the work of a good doctor (or slow/limit the progression) and there is not much a great PT can do if a bad doctor did the work.

AMEN !!!

Go to a sports medicine doc, do EVERYTHING he/she says, ask them for THE BEST PT, and do EVERYTHING he/she says. Do the work and pay attention to your body and you'll get good results.

My shoulder briefly pops out of its socket on a somewhat regular basis, but immediately goes back. My shoulder is then sore for a couple weeks and back to normal. It happened twice this summer (seems to be getting more frequent)--once when I went indoor sky diving and once while wakeboarding and I put a hand down to stabalize on a landing. It can also pop out if I try to throw a baseball too hard. Just my right shoulder. I never thought I should see a doctor about it...

My shoulder briefly pops out of its socket on a somewhat regular basis, but immediately goes back. My shoulder is then sore for a couple weeks and back to normal. It happened twice this summer (seems to be getting more frequent)--once when I went indoor sky diving and once while wakeboarding and I put a hand down to stabalize on a landing. It can also pop out if I try to throw a baseball too hard. Just my right shoulder. I never thought I should see a doctor about it...

Do what you can to keep that rotator cuff as strong as possible and quit doing things that make it dislocate. I am sure you are in terrific shape, but there are specific exercises that will help to minimize the risk of that happening again. Otherwise, every time it comes out, it can come out easier the next time, until you will be wondering if seeing a surgeon is a good idea. A PT can help a ton in this regard.

Do what you can to keep that rotator cuff as strong as possible and quit doing things that make it dislocate. I am sure you are in terrific shape, but there are specific exercises that will help to minimize the risk of that happening again. Otherwise, every time it comes out, it can come out easier the next time, until you will be wondering if seeing a surgeon is a good idea. A PT can help a ton in this regard.

Hmmm... Maybe I will see a doctor about it. I figured it was no big deal, but I don't want it to get easier and easier--which it appears it is... I didn't realize exercises could help either.

Definitely go to a good sports doctor, like billb said. I went to the guy that fixed Donavan McNabb's knee a few years back. That same doctor trained under the doc that fixed Drew Brees' rotator cuff years ago. I am 43, and looking at my lifestyle our approach was treat me like a 23 year old athlete. We set the bar high, and I'm glad we did. I intend to spend at least another 20 years pounding/pulling on my shoulders. So don't ever think "I'm too old for this", you just need more conditioning or some repairs.

Hmmm... Maybe I will see a doctor about it. I figured it was no big deal, but I don't want it to get easier and easier--which it appears it is... I didn't realize exercises could help either.

Not getting it checked out is the worst thing you can do. You have limited tendons & ligaments, once they are shot, they are shot. What you don't want is to mess them up bad enough that you need to splice tendons from other parts of your body. That was a discussion with mine (a repeated, aggravated injury). We looked at splicing part of my lat, but the doc felt he could get 90% of my range of motion and strength back without doing that, so we didn't.

Never dislocated, but did get myself a grade 3 AC separation, along with a broken left humorous, punctured lung and a few other issues. Had the arm surgically put back together and all works good as I can ask for.

As said before though, you must be dedicated, and diligent with the PT.

This was great advice. Just had the MRI, now waiting to go back to doc to see how bad it is. I've been told by 3 doctors after it dislocates for the 2nd time surgery is needed or it will keep coming out easier and easier.

Definitely go to a good sports doctor, like billb said. I went to the guy that fixed Donavan McNabb's knee a few years back. That same doctor trained under the doc that fixed Drew Brees' rotator cuff years ago. I am 43, and looking at my lifestyle our approach was treat me like a 23 year old athlete. We set the bar high, and I'm glad we did. I intend to spend at least another 20 years pounding/pulling on my shoulders. So don't ever think "I'm too old for this", you just need more conditioning or some repairs.

Too funny. I tore ACL and MCL a few years ago. Nasty. My knee doc was a sports med surgeon who interned with some affliation with the NHL. He is a friend from high school and knew what I wanted. He said, "we're not going to treat this like a typical injury to a 40+ yr old. We're going to treat this like you're 25. Are you up for that?!" He did a great job, my PT was THE BOMB, I worked my butt off, and 7 months later I was skiing again!!

P.S. There were dark days early on when it seemed like my knee would never be good again, but it is 100% now(and has been for years) and all of that is totally behind me.

Edited by billb

Too funny. I tore ACL and MCL a few years ago. Nasty. My knee doc was a sports med surgeon who interned with some affliation with the NHL. He is a friend from high school and knew what I wanted. He said, "we're not going to treat this like a typical injury to a 40+ yr old. We're going to treat this like you're 25. Are you up for that?!" He did a great job, my PT was THE BOMB, I worked my butt off, and 7 months later I was skiing again!!

P.S. There were dark days early on when it seemed like my knee would never be good again, but it is 100% now(and has been for years) and all of that is totally behind me.

That's awesome! There are a lot of guys with stories like yours/mine. It's about how you present yourself going in to it (and of course chosing the right doctor). The first doc I went to was like "You are in great shape, and very high functioning considering the extent of the damage. You've compensated for the injury very well by really buidling up everything around it. We can dig way into this, but what do you hope to gain? So you can't arm wrestle very well right handed now, or touch the middle of your back with your right hand. Can you live with that?" And my answer was no. I wanted it fixed, and fixed right. Pain, P/T, etc does not scare me. I started talking about wakeboarding and 360's, backwards barefooting, etc. He responded "Well, it's so bad I'm not sure I can fix it. But I know a guy that can". And off we went!

I had a SLAP tear from 6 o'clock to 4 o'clock and tore my biceps tendon. Fingers were going numb and I kept pulling muscles in my back trying to accomodate the injury. Can't recall the technique, but they injected ink into my shoulder then took an x-ray and it revealed the tear. Surgery in December, in a sling for a month, then PT through April and I was about 80%. That's when I started running and working out on my Bowflex. Very long, slow recovery, but worth it in the end. Had I been working out diligently PRIOR to the injury, it could've been avoidable--but who knows. Sucks getting old, but it's worth the extra work to be able to enjoy watersports with less risk of long-term pain/injury. I don't ever want to go through that process again. Get it behind you and take care of yourself!