Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Change on LCR

Sride

The dealer claims that they see 2-3 of these per year including filters that have been installed at the factory. One of the theories is that the heat coming off the exhaust manifold "bakes" the gasket onto the metal. I am more suspicious that the filters are dry mounted and over torqued at installation.

• Like 2

Those who can't do, end up teaching!!

Hopefully he is not planning on installing the FRAM oil filter, as they are the cheapest POS filter out there, unless you buy Pennzoil, which as made by FRAM.

And ALWAYS remember: Righty tighty, Leftie loosey UNLESS you are moving an oil filter!! maybe that is where the problem originated??

I wonder if that was the boat's first oil change and the engine was painted WITH the oil filter in place...whicih would make it a bear to get off??

The first oil filter I removed on my LXI was just about as bad...the only thing that saved me was that it was on a remote, so it was much easier to access and apply leverage to remove. Hey guys at the factory, ease up on the steroids!!

I did like his selction of music.....

Edited by jkendallmsce

You would think, but my boat does have the remote oil filter kit (2011 LCR). I had to apply so much torque it actually warped the mounting bracket, and it still wouldn't come off. Dealer had to remove the entire oil filter mounting assembly and lines, put it on a workbench, and use a bar to torque it off.