Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2011 vlx monsoon using oil

motosnowss

I have a 2011 vlx with the monsoon engine. i have put 5.5 quarts of oil in it over the last 1.5 months and i have had the low oil pressure warning light come on when the oil had gotten low the first time.it usually seems to goes through a quart a weekend. i dont see any oil leaking in the hull. it has now just over 100 hours on it. the dealer told me that it would use oil until the valves seat. with just over 100 hours on the engine i would assume they should be seated already. any suggestions or tips or is this normal?

I'd be most concerned about the Cats if you are burning that much oil. Do you see any oil in the bilge? Valves seating is a cheap excuse, poor one at that. I'd like to hear how a gapped valve creates an oil consumption problem. If the guides are worn yes, but that would only get worse, not better.

If I were you and this boat is under warranty, I'd ask for a compression test and a repair slip stating the oil consumption complaint.

• Like 1

Burning that much oil is not normal. The valves come "seated" from the factory more or less, the piston rings are the only thing that take some time to seat but probably less that 10 hours.

I would push the dealer to do a leak down test and investigate the source of the oil leak Into the combustion chamber.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

I have a 2007 VLX with the Monsoon engine. My buddy had my boat out and he said there was a notice for "Service Required" but there were not any fault codes. he turned the boat off and back on and it went away. He did some investigation and found that the engine was down two quarts of oil. Anyone had problems with burning oil?

A litlte background: This year my engine overheated. I had to have the heads rebuilt, manifold replaced and of course the gaskets so it could be a result of the work done. I have put on probably 50 to 60 hours since then and she is probably due for service.

The other thing I did was i took my Acme 1235 and pitched it down to a 13.25 pitch. It had a huge difference in the wakeboard performance. I can easily run with 4000# plus wedge and people in the boat, plane fast, and reduce the amount of weight in the nose (helps with taking water over). The trade off is I am running about 4200 RPMS and we do a lot of wakeboarding. Could the higher RPMS be a culpret? Anyone running consistantly higher RPMS notice they were burning oil?