Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Any tricks for drying out the interior your boat when storing quickly?

rhavey79

I keep my boat in a covered community boat house with a lift 60 miles from home and usually use it once a weekend. Leaving it uncovered to dry out is not an option due to bugs etc in the area and potential theft of small accessories etc. Any tricks or gadgets that you are using to dry your boats out if you have to cover them the same day you used it?

I'm just purchased a DryWave http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Dry-Wave-Air-Dryer&i=71503 but I think this is going to help prevent condensation on the inside of the cover and not really help dry the boat out. Anyone using a small fan or have any creative ideas?

Have you had problems?

I've got the basic Malibu cover from 2008 and I cover my boat every sunday after using it that day, no dry time except basic whip down and don't uncover it till thursday/friday. 2 years doing this and no mold/mildew smells or problems. It's really humid here in the summer, so guess it doesn't really matter if the cover is on or off though.

I have had problems here in Oregon. If we park it wet in the garage we will get a little mildew. So the best solution we have found is to wetvac it out and then I have a dehumidifier in the garage. I close down the doors and run the dehumidifier. No problems this year. Overnight that dehumidifier will pull a gallon of water out of the air.

Have you had problems?

I've got the basic Malibu cover from 2008 and I cover my boat every sunday after using it that day, no dry time except basic whip down and don't uncover it till thursday/friday. 2 years doing this and no mold/mildew smells or problems. It's really humid here in the summer, so guess it doesn't really matter if the cover is on or off though.

I'm using a "Towerall" cover which isn't ideal but it was the only thing I could find that would fit with my tower setup. Cory didn't have a template for my boat so Evolution cover wasn't an option. I'm starting to see some mildew on the carpet so just trying to be proactive.

That Drywave works really well.

I used to have a problem with mildew on the vinyl over the winter. It does get a little wet here in the PNW :biggrin: . The Drywave put into the boat solved the problem completely.

a cheap easy way to do it is to take a milk jug cut the top of it off and fill it full of cat litter

Great idea....until my wife accidentally kicks that over. She is also the one who is notorious for banging car doors into each other her own driveway. I'm sure wife proofing everything is preparing me for child proofing down the road.

• Like 2

I don't leave mine at the dock, but as soon as I return home I put it in my barn with 3 cheap box fans in it from wal mart. They are cheap and have a very low electric draw. One in each locker, if they are wet from surfing and one in main area. The air movement dries it out very quickly with no mildewing. Not sure if this is possible in your boat house setup?

I have had problems here in Oregon. If we park it wet in the garage we will get a little mildew. So the best solution we have found is to wetvac it out and then I have a dehumidifier in the garage. I close down the doors and run the dehumidifier. No problems this year. Overnight that dehumidifier will pull a gallon of water out of the air.

Same here in CT, I won't leave it at the dock longer than 2 weeks If the Boat comes home wet I spray out the bilge with fresh tap water and it goes in the garage. Then dehumidifiers go to work with fans when it dries out "couple days" I shampoo the carpets, wash, wipe, and wax and its like new again :]

Great idea....until my wife accidentally kicks that over. She is also the one who is notorious for banging car doors into each other her own driveway. I'm sure wife proofing everything is preparing me for child proofing down the road.

Awe Man, I thought I was the only one. My wife's truck at start up is in reverse before the engine even thought about comming back down to a idle. One tranny and Two "effin" garage doors later she still does the same thing. Love u babe, but you on your own with the next door. lol :]

I keep my boat in a covered community boat house with a lift 60 miles from home and usually use it once a weekend. Leaving it uncovered to dry out is not an option due to bugs etc in the area and potential theft of small accessories etc. Any tricks or gadgets that you are using to dry your boats out if you have to cover them the same day you used it?

I'm just purchased a DryWave http://www.overtons....r-Dryer&i=71503 but I think this is going to help prevent condensation on the inside of the cover and not really help dry the boat out. Anyone using a small fan or have any creative ideas?

In Hawaii it's very wet and warm all year. I've been using 2 drywaves and I also added a taylor-made vent into the cover (basic taylor-made cover). This worked pretty good both drying out the boat pretty fast and keeping it that way by preventing condensation.

I wanted better results though, so recently while shopping at WestMarine I bought on sale a drywave-like dryer which has a small fan in it for about $50. I replaced one of the drywaves with this and it seems to be working even better.

Finally, I'll install a cheap solar vent fan for boats, etc. (I got it on-line) where the regular vent is now, and then maybe I won't have to use a drywave (just heater/fan unit). It might makes things worse by sucking out the warm air created by the heaters, all trial and error....

Mine stays at a lift and we don't have time to wait for it to dry. I ensure that all the water is wiped out of all ares that water sits and lift all the seat up so that they can air dry. I also take home all the wet ropes, vest etc. Once we finish wiping it down it gets covered. Never had an issues.

I can let my boat air out but my friend keeps his on a lift he uses two celling fans cuts them on wide open for a few hours works great. I like all the fan ideas and litter ideas not so big on the humidifier can it dry out your vinyl I would think so but I maybe wrong.

I'm just purchased a DryWave http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Dry-Wave-Air-Dryer&i=71503 but I think this is going to help prevent condensation on the inside of the cover and not really help dry the boat out. Anyone using a small fan or have any creative ideas?

Do you have power at the dock? Maybe put a small fan inside on a timer and add a couple of vents to the cover. That way you can run it for 12 hours or something instead of until the next time you are at the dock.

Do you have power at the dock? Maybe put a small fan inside on a timer and add a couple of vents to the cover. That way you can run it for 12 hours or something instead of until the next time you are at the dock.

Great idea as I do have power at the dock! A timer might be the perfect way to solve my problem. Anyone have a safe/small fan that they would suggest? Trying to avoid burning down the entire boat house.