Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to get your wakesetter VLX into a 7' Garage

dhut76

Long story short I got ahead of myself and bought a 07 wakesetter VLX without testing if it would fit in my 7’ garage door opening. After several attempts I learned that it would fit with a few modifications. I didn’t really find any detailed instructions on how to accomplish the feat so I thought I would share. I only plan on doing this then I store the boat for the winter.

07 wakesetter VLX illusion x tower

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

The first step is to back the boat into position in front of the garage. Then remove the boat trailer from your truck and scotch you rear wheels. The next few steps will require a floor jack, preferable one that rolls well. Jack up the trailer and remove the front tires from each side of the trailer. Make sure you have the trailer secured you don’t want it rolling away from you. Next remove the bolts that hold the tower in place and remove the pins also. This is much easier with two people. When removing the bolts be sure to be careful not to damage or scratch the tower. I assume you know to remove the bimini top before folding the tower down. I placed a towel under my tower before letting it rest on the dash. The next step is to remove the tow ball located atop the tower. If I recall correctly the ball just simply twisted off and I removed the nut and stud with a 1” wrench. Now you are ready to place the front of the boat trailer on a floor jack and lower the trailer all the way down to the ground. By removing the front tires on you trailer you should pick up the extra clearance you require. With the front of the boat trailer resting on the floor jack, remove the wheel scotches and with some help push the boat under the 7’ opening into your garage. I held the handle of the floor jack why my buddy’s helped pushed the boat in.

http://www.flickr.co...t76/7996193994/

Very creative but a lot of work. One option that may or may not get the clearance is to lower the trailer, here is a article that explains how to do that. You can also remove the tow ball in conjunction between both of those you should be able to fit it in.

The process was alot of work you are right about that. 8' door would be great. I was just unsure about the brink on litell on outside of the garage door. Also any thoughts on winterization process. Would it hurt the boat to sit in the heated garage over winter. I would have to run the kerosene heater if the power went. Or should i just pay the $$ to go ahead and have it winterized? Any good DYI links would also be appreciated. My last boat i just simply pulled into the garage and left for the winter, and never had any problems, but this is my first inboard.

For what one pays for a boat new or used now days your best bet is to prevent potential damage by winterizing.

Winterize it yourself to:

A save alot of money

B get to know your boat/trailer for when the dealer isn't available

C prevent damage from the used oil and water sitting in the block

D electricity and the electrical company do fail on ocassion, why risk it

There are number of links on here and elsewhere for the winterization process and there is not a great difference between brands as far as procedure goes. Where you at in TN?

FYI. My uncle is a general contractor and while we already have 8'H doors, I wanted to go to a 10'W (from 9'W) We have a brick front as well and cost was $2400.00. This included all brick work, new lindel, framing and new door. You could never tell the work was done and your case is similar to mine. Just thought I would share as I had no idea on costs until i got a quote but it was the best money I have ever spent. Coming home late at night and trying to get the boat put away was a hassle before but now it goes in like butter.

Thanks for the info I am going to check into it. I would like to be able to put it in the garage after every use and that is about what a metal awning was going to run me.

I fixed that problem like this with my last boat. attach a heavy duty caster wheel as far forward as you can with trailer suspension Ubolts. back the boat in with your truck till about a foot before the tower hits..... use a rolling floor jack to drop it down. push it into the garage by hand.

total cost; $35

1490275133_3891029587_b.jpg

I pay 35 bucks a month for a 12x30 with a 10 ft tall door and electricity with a air compressor and wash down station on site. For the 400 ish bucks I spend a year I have full access to my garage, can leave my tower up and about 1 mile from the Brazos River in TX

I could not imagine trying to stuff my boat into my garage with storage this cheap!!!

photo%20(16)_zps9bc95299.jpg

photo%20(17)_zpsc55403a1.jpg

I pay 35 bucks a month for a 12x30 with a 10 ft tall door and electricity with a air compressor and wash down station on site. For the 400 ish bucks I spend a year I have full access to my garage, can leave my tower up and about 1 mile from the Brazos River in TX

I could not imagine trying to stuff my boat into my garage with storage this cheap!!!

Around here a unit like that is about $100-120/month.

I can't imagine dealing with a 7' door; I find our 8' door a PITA just because I have to lower the tower, though I can raise it back up once she is in the garage. But it takes less time to raise/lower the tower than it does to mess with the cover, and it's a lot better on the boat to stay in the garage.

Yah...I have paid 200 a month to be close to water on lake lewisville. Here is a pic of my old unit. 12 foot tall door with automatic door opener.

Ryan - that storage unit is 5 miles from Hamm Creek ;)

32feet2_zps55b64e1f.jpg

Edited by Murphy8166

i put mine in and out every time i use it.Lowered the trailer from the how to on this site,no need to unhook from tow vehicle or rig anything just collapse tower remove tower ball and back it in. I would also suggest installing a ceiling fan over where the boat sits to keep air movement and help dry it out :thumbup:

Edited by apwrx

What am I missing about this discussion - a 7 foot garage is 84 inches wide (which is what I have too) and a Malibu VLX is 100 inches wide ( I have Wakesetter that is 93 inches wide) so how can either of these boats ever fit into a 7 foot wide garage?

PS: regarding winterization - yes do it yourself, it's simple and I live in climates that always freeze. Call Vince or Richard or Richard at Discount Inboard Marine www.skidim.com and they'll sell you a flushpro and quick release freeze plugs that make this job a 10 minute effort!

What am I missing about this discussion - a 7 foot garage is 84 inches wide (which is what I have too) and a Malibu VLX is 100 inches wide ( I have Wakesetter that is 93 inches wide) so how can either of these boats ever fit into a 7 foot wide garage?

Tall.