Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'94 Echelon needs new exhaust tips

Michigan boarder

The rubber is ripping on my original exhaust flappers and I'm looking for some input (pros/cons) on the replacement options. My thoughts are turn down stainless tips, mostly because in reading older threads it seems they helped reduce fumes when surfing. I'm not too concerned about noise, as long as whatever I do doesn't make it any louder. Any thoughts? Here is what I have currently:

post-8942-0-42074700-1347889675_thumb.jp

• 4 months later...

I changed mine to the stainless turn downs. First it is a pain in the butt to do but I am happy I did it but the fumes are still bad I still plan on up grading to a fresh water exhaust if you can spend the little extra do it. The turn downs look good but I don't think you get your $ worth.

http://www.freshairexhaust.com

A few options: You can simply replace the rubber flappers on your existing tips, you can get rubber from McMaster Carr and cut to fit. You could also replace the existing units with SS tips either straight or turn down. These tend to come with metal flappers which don't muffle noise as well as the rubber flappers (which actually do quite a bit of noise suppression). I swapped to a pair of straight stainless tips and added rubbers flappers to them (but it does take some fabrication work to accomplish).

A few options: You can simply replace the rubber flappers on your existing tips, you can get rubber from McMaster Carr and cut to fit. You could also replace the existing units with SS tips either straight or turn down. These tend to come with metal flappers which don't muffle noise as well as the rubber flappers (which actually do quite a bit of noise suppression). I swapped to a pair of straight stainless tips and added rubbers flappers to them (but it does take some fabrication work to accomplish).

Can you post some pics I may would add to my turn downs.

Can you post some pics I may would add to my turn downs.

I would like to see that too. Can it be done to turn downs or just to straight tips only? I definitely don't want to increase noise. Thanks for the input.

No pics handy right now, but here are the details: I bought a PVC flange, a 4" one since I have 4" straight SS tips and simply attached the rubber flapper to that using the existing layout. The flange offers a flat surface in the vertical plane for the flapper to rest against. The flanged part gives you some surface area to attach the two stainless screws that go into the existing plastic tip (at the top), I milled out any flange material from the bottom section to maximize the flow. I then attached the rings radially to the tips.

You can have my old ones from my '98 VLX for the cost of shipping (provided I can find them in my garage) if you want to stay stock.

I went with the turn down tips also. They look great, but haven't really changed the sound too much.

Edited by Mechmaster
  • 2 months later...

After this thread and a few others regarding turn down tips I've decided I would like to go with the SS tips. So, from what I understand, my '94 has a 3" exhaust, correct? And from '96 and up they were 4" exhaust. Does someone make a 3" that will fit my boat?

Mechmaster - Thank you for offereing, but I think yours are too big to fit my set up. Plus I'd probably just swap out the rubber flappers and not mess with removing and resealing the whole housing if I do end up sticking with the flappers.

Edited by Michigan boarder
martinarcher

After this thread and a few others regarding turn down tips I've decided I would like to go with the SS tips. So, from what I understand, my '94 has a 3" exhaust, correct? And from '96 and up they were 4" exhaust. Does someone make a 3" that will fit my boat?

Mechmaster - Thank you for offereing, but I think yours are too big to fit my set up. Plus I'd probably just swap out the rubber flappers and not mess with removing and resealing the whole housing if I do end up sticking with the flappers.

Just an FYI, when I went to 4" exhaust, I had custom made stainless tips made and expected to have to open a 3" hole in the transom to a 4" hole. It turns out the factory 3" exhaust comes through a 4" opening in the transom. The factory exhaust tips were plastic and the necked down to 3" to mate up with the exhaust. The 4" OD stainless tips slid right into my transom with no cutting required.

FYI 2: The reason the tips I had made were custom was the factory tips had too large of a flange to fit in the pocket on the transom so I had to have a pair made with a smaller flange that would fit the transom. They turned out great. There are pics in my exhaust thread.

Yes, 3" tips are available from a few suppliers. CP Performance, Eddie Marine, IMCO among others.

OK, I'm still looking. I find lots of straight tips but no turn downs.

have a look at my topic ,done some work on my rear, i have some photos of my 98 response which i put turn downs on

Yessir, that was the straw that got me there! My wedge is off and I am hoping to find a local polishing shop.

Thanks, but I just can't get past the FAE look. Although I'm sure it's very functional, it just doesn't look right to me. I want my rear to look phat, like phataz5's!

Just an FYI, when I went to 4" exhaust, I had custom made stainless tips made and expected to have to open a 3" hole in the transom to a 4" hole. It turns out the factory 3" exhaust comes through a 4" opening in the transom. The factory exhaust tips were plastic and the necked down to 3" to mate up with the exhaust. The 4" OD stainless tips slid right into my transom with no cutting required.

FYI 2: The reason the tips I had made were custom was the factory tips had too large of a flange to fit in the pocket on the transom so I had to have a pair made with a smaller flange that would fit the transom. They turned out great. There are pics in my exhaust thread.

Ah yes, I remember that thread and those sweet vids. I am tempted to switch it all over to 4" up to the manifolds (in preparation for future engine mods) but not sure if I want to tackle that yet. But if I did - I can just buy 4" hose and have some kind of transition fabbed at the end to fit into my current manifolds, right? Your mods were more for hp as a different sound, weren't they?

martinarcher

Yes they were. If you're thinking about going to 4" anytime in the future I would put in 4" tips and neck them down to 3" inside the boat. That will make like easier down the road and you won't have to take a do-over on the exhaust tip job. :thumbup:

Yes they were. If you're thinking about going to 4" anytime in the future I would put in 4" tips and neck them down to 3" inside the boat. That will make like easier down the road and you won't have to take a do-over on the exhaust tip job. :thumbup:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Go 4" tips thru the transom, then attach a transition like this to the tips that will go down to 3" on the inside of the transom, trim back some of the current 3" hose and I'm done. Then if I do heads & mani's down the road I'll get new 4" hose that is the right length for the job.

post-8942-0-87104500-1363957457_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Make the plunge once! Go with the 4" for now and update the rest later. You can put a 4" hose at the tips and install a reducer to match the 3" hose off the muffler. FYI: you can get a reducer that will fit at your local Lowe's, Home Depot or ACE nice and cheap, PVC plumbing hardware works just fine. Also, check the Michigan Motorz website, they have some rubber flappers in there and very friendly prices. If you talk to the right girl, she owns a 95 Echelon.

On my application, it was all about the engine power update so a non restrictive exhaust was the goal. BTW don't install the reducer at the tiller, the 4" hose will be very close to it when rudder straight, but it just clears. Do the area calculations and you will be amazed at how much the 4" diameter increases the area over the 3" hose! Lots of grunt work on that update, as you will spend time prying off the original tips and cleaning the surface, but well worth it. I used clear silicone to install and no issues for ~8 years on them.

• Like 1

Make the plunge once! Go with the 4" for now and update the rest later. You can put a 4" hose at the tips and install a reducer to match the 3" hose off the muffler. FYI: you can get a reducer that will fit at your local Lowe's, Home Depot or ACE nice and cheap, PVC plumbing hardware works just fine. Also, check the Michigan Motorz website, they have some rubber flappers in there and very friendly prices. If you talk to the right girl, she owns a 95 Echelon.

On my application, it was all about the engine power update so a non restrictive exhaust was the goal. BTW don't install the reducer at the tiller, the 4" hose will be very close to it when rudder straight, but it just clears. Do the area calculations and you will be amazed at how much the 4" diameter increases the area over the 3" hose! Lots of grunt work on that update, as you will spend time prying off the original tips and cleaning the surface, but well worth it. I used clear silicone to install and no issues for ~8 years on them.

OK, it's a plan. I'll post pics when I get into it.

Thanks for the solid advice guys!