Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thermostat choice: 140 or 160 degree?

OK experts...got my 'bu ready for deep winter sleep...but want to get parts ready for next season. Pulled the thermostat and was an 807252 1...which is 140 degree. Pullled the t-stat to make sure coolant went thru entire system. Boat ran fine and always at 160 degrees or lower for last three summers on same thermostat.

BUT...have found most kits with thermostat and gaskets have the 807252-2 which is a 160 degree...which I also read will make the fuel burn better with a higher temp.

Motor is the 350 carbed compeition ski in a 94 Echelon.

So, which degree thermostat to put in? AND so I don't break it again, anyone know if there's a brass sleeve same size to replace the plastic 806922 sleeve? Is there a kit that has the sleeve, thermostat, gaskets, etc.?

Thanks all...without this forum...hard to keep an older 'bu running strong.

Grant

Grant, form everything that I have read I would suggest to go with the 160. If the oil is not brought up to operating temp, the experts say the oil won't be able to protect the reciprocating surfaces as well. As far as the sleeve goes, I assume you mean the T-stat housing which I have only ever seen in aluminum and brass and I don't think I have ever seen an all in one kit, but I have only had to change a few T-stats. Go to bakes.com or skidim.com they should have what you need, barring that any auto parts place will have the T-stat and maybe a like sleeve.

• Like 1

Yep...only plastic sleeve for the housing design I have....fwiw...that plastic sleeve part # is 23-806922

and if keeping the 140 degree t-stat, part # is 807252Q4....with a Sierra replacement # of 18-3668

There 'ya go 'bu owners...some handy info for ya.

I know folks poo poo this all the time, but if you have a good NAPA with folks who know what they are doing, they can order ALMOST anything you need/want for your boat....the problem is the age and Merc does a great job with their ID/part number ing system to make it hard to get parts other than thru Mercruiser.

This spring I got new therm which came with the brass sleeve... NAPA ordered it and I had it in my hand the next day. The problem is that most NAPAs don't have good help, and are just as bad as going to a Kragens, Chucks or Auto Zone...where you have some pimply faced kid making minimim wage whoe never heard of a Malibu...or thinks Chev makes the Malibu.

I have used SKIDIM for a number of items, and they are always very helpful and most improtantly very knowledgable.

I know folks poo poo this all the time, but if you have a good NAPA with folks who know what they are doing, they can order ALMOST anything you need/want for your boat....the problem is the age and Merc does a great job with their ID/part number ing system to make it hard to get parts other than thru Mercruiser.

This spring I got new therm which came with the brass sleeve... NAPA ordered it and I had it in my hand the next day. The problem is that most NAPAs don't have good help, and are just as bad as going to a Kragens, Chucks or Auto Zone...where you have some pimply faced kid making minimim wage whoe never heard of a Malibu...or thinks Chev makes the Malibu.

I have used SKIDIM for a number of items, and they are always very helpful and most improtantly very knowledgable.

Trust me, I've scoured the 'net...there is no brass sleeve for the housing design I have...the one I have needs to have two openings to allow water flow yet also be tall enough to keep the thermostat from "floating" in the housing.

The one I have is shown in a diagram on this page:

http://www.perfprotech.com/store/assembly/Thermostat-Housing%28Standard-Cooling%29%28Design-II%29,954-140,87290A23.aspx

Anyways...any info to keep an older 'bu going strong is good...thanks!

Trust me, I've scoured the 'net...there is no brass sleeve for the housing design I have...the one I have needs to have two openings to allow water flow yet also be tall enough to keep the thermostat from "floating" in the housing.

The one I have is shown in a diagram on this page:

http://www.perfprote...0,87290A23.aspx

Anyways...any info to keep an older 'bu going strong is good...thanks!

Got one from NAPA JUST LIKE THAT about 7 months ago...for my 1990 skier with 5.7 Blue water special. A brass sleeve about 1 1/2 - 2 inches tall....I know EXACTLY what you are talking about.

Like I said,,,just depends on how good your local NAPA is.

You can get that sleeve from lots of on line sources...and depends on housing one has....this link shows both designs...like I said, I have the Design II one...which shows the cutaway sleeve...not solid sleeve like the brass one in Design I:

http://www.wolfiesenterprises.com/Mercruiser%204.3L%20Cooling%20System.htm

no knock on NAPA...love their brake rotors...and their Gold filters for my boat motor.