Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

98 RLX: Your Opinion Please Sir?

escmanaze

Hi Everybody,

I would love to get your opinion on this Malibu I'm considering. I'm a full time waterskier and a part-time wakeboarder and wakeskater. Just because I'm a full-time waterskier, doesn't mean I'm good. I'm currently in the range of 30-32 mph and longline to 15 off.

Thanks much in advance for your opinion.

Scott

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1998-Malibu-Responce-Lx--Open-Bow-340442

1998 Malibu Responce LX Open Bow,This is a well maintained boat, all mechanical parts including the engine and transmission are in top working condition. The trailer has the normal wear and some rust spots you would exspect for its age.Specs:1998 Malibu Response LX Open Bow, 838 hours, 310 HP, Perfect Pass, Radio plus 10 disc CD changer, Lowrance Depth Gauge, Lowrance Temperature Gauge, Hot Water Shower, Heated Driver's seat, Wedge.I will also send the Barefoot Boom and the Ski Pylon with the boat. $14500

Not bad, there are a few imperfections in the pics plus the higher hours. Water test and if it checks out offer 12.5-13k after feeling out the seller.

IMHO and all.

Edit: You know, I re-read the options list. With PP, heater, shower, and wedge that actually is a pretty fair price. But I'd still counter 13k to start. Make sure it has a cover ($500-900) and verify condition of the trailer before towing.

Edited by jk13

For reference, we paid $14,500 for a '98 Response LX in 2010. Ours has a single axle trailor, bimini, cover, and came with an 11' manual lift. It didnt have a shower or heated seat but was otherwise similarly equiped. At the time it had about 450 hours and had some minor vinyl issues though was generally well cared for. I think we got a pretty good deal so don't feel like I'm saying it's a bad deal.

As far as my thoughts on the boat...we love ours. The only thing I wish were different is the lack of storage space. In '99 Malibu added a rear ski locker which would be really useful. We have a shelf in our lift that we keep extra gear in during the day. Lately, when we ski we have been taking out the rear seat which gives us a lot more room and helps with ingress and egress. We replaced the original stainless steel prop with an OJ XMP 334 which resulted in a better whole shot and smoother operation without the worry of the original prop exploding.

I'm 80% sure the engine in your boat is the Monsoon 320 since that is what is in our boat. 800+ hours is a:little high but you can plan on 2,000 hours between overhauls on a well maintained engine so it should still have a lot of runs left in it.

Let us know what becomes of it!

Hi Oberon, I think this boat has the standard vortec 310. My understanding is that the 325 monsoon was an upgrade in 98. Anybody know for sure?

The motor looks just like mine which is a Monsoon. The resources page here says it is a 325 but I'm pretty sure it's a 320. I think the 325 came later. Anyway, I have no clue what the Vortec looks like but I'm pretty sure it has a carb. I'm also pretty sure the silver things running longitudinally on each side of the flame arrester are the fuel rails which means it is fuel injected which makes it a Monsoon. I could be wrong.

The motor looks just like mine which is a Monsoon. The resources page here says it is a 325 but I'm pretty sure it's a 320. I think the 325 came later. Anyway, I have no clue what the Vortec looks like but I'm pretty sure it has a carb. I'm also pretty sure the silver things running longitudinally on each side of the flame arrester are the fuel rails which means it is fuel injected which makes it a Monsoon. I could be wrong.

Vortec is a version of the Chevy 350, it has nothing to do with the aspiration (carbureted or Fuel Injected). Vortec is Chevy's trademark for the combustion chamber design. The 310 is carbureted, the 320 (325) is Fuel Injected. As far as I know it was called a 320 all years forward, the 1998 brochure is the only place I've seen it mentioned as a 325, but I don't know boats older than '99 very well. This is a Chevy 350 Vortec based monsoon 320 (325). I've owned two and they looked exactly like that. The ad says 310, but the brochure says the 310 is not MPI (so either carb or Throttle body injected) and every boat I've ever seen with 310HP has been carbureted as well. Error is in your favor though as MPI injection is definatly a big plus in my book.

Edited by Asmodeus2112

If it's close by I'd sure give it a close look. Price may be just a tad high, but maybe they are negotiable.

My only issue is the step over open bow. The walk thru would be great, but those prices may be higher?

Steve B.

(let us know)

edit: looked a little closer...perfect pass, heated driver seat, hot water shower. May be a cream puff you can't turn down.

Edited by Steve B.

Price is high. Fairly high hours compared to others. It's late in the season. Unless it's perfect and has excellent service documentation (and you really want a '98 RLX) I would only pay 12.5 to 13.5. You have to take things like trailer tires, prop, steering cable, vinyl etc. into consideration. It the tires are old your looking at ~500 right there. It you're going to use this boat for a few years you should ditch the SS prop, there's another 300 or so. PP is nice though, gotta admit. Bimini doesn't look so hot (~$500). As mentioned, cover? If not then that's minimum 200 for a cheap one, 600-800 for a nice one. Trailer brakes? Maybe doesn't matter, maybe it does to you.

I think you can get him down on the price. As for the hours, it's a '98 and I don't think 838 hours is that much. It's roughly 60 hours annually. I think that's no issue personally. I bought my boat in April of 2011 with 661 hours and have 750 on it now and it never skips a beat.

The engine is great, btw.