Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lots of play in steering wheel?

ColinC

Probably a bad steering cable but I am waiting for a little more info to be sure. Can you describe it a little better?

Mine had a lot of play left to right like 1". It was difficult to hold the boat straight when towing a rider. After I inspected all the mounts for the cable housing I replaced the cable. It fixed the problem. I am told the new teleflex cables are better then the factory cables.

If you pull the linkage apart at the rudder, the "special" bolt that ties the steering cable to the rudder you might just find it has worn out. I found this to be the case on a 2008 247 that seem to have not been installed correctly causing an incredible amount of wear on only a 122 hour boat. The bolt I got through Andrew at Bakes marine, it made all the difference in the world.

Also with the bolt out, you can check your rudder play both up and down and left and right- usually it might take a squirt of grease in the zert fitting

Also turn your steering wheel back and forth, without the linkage in place the steering should feel butter smooth, if not that might suggest a steering cable.

If you think the play is in the rack assembly, with the linkage disconnected have someone look at the end of the cable in the 11-12-11 area and see if the cable is moving.. The Rack is part of the replacement as it is all one unit.

The cable is easy to do, pulling it forward with a line tied to the end will give you a pull cord on pulling the new one in place. I used an old ski rope but anything will work.

In ordering the new Teleflex cable, you need to see the numbers on the original steering cable as it will say the actual length in the part number.

Edited by JAXONBOATS
  • Like 2
  • 1 year later...

My steering line also has a about an inch in play in either direction. The steering cable appears to still be fully functional. Any idea how this is tightened up?

If you have the teleflex tilt steering take the black plastic boot off. You shouldn't have to remove the wheel. Tilt the column all the way down, turn the wheel until you see 2 allen head bolts. Tighten those up and the clamshell that holds the wheel shaft will snug up and should solve of that 'play' in the wheel.

Mine is worn out pretty badly so I ordered a new assembly but some of the newer boats should be able to be tightened up. If not bakes sells the new tilt assembly for $157.

also check at the end of your cable "shroud" back at the rudder. The cable (on my axis) mounts to the stringer on the starboard side of the engine in the engine compartment. Look about 2 feet from the steering box/rudder and you may find an L bracket that mounts the cable to the stringer. My bolts on this bracket was loose, caused some rudder flutter in my steering wheel during acceleration and gave me an inch or so of play in the steering wheel.

• 7 years later...
9 hours ago, Jos said:

Hello, there’s boat 5 inches play the steering wheel when it turns the Rutter

Rudder.

You are going to need a helper to figure this out.  Start by having someone hold the rudder while you twist steering wheel back and forth to verify the freeplay.  Next look down under the engine where you can see the cable to rudder connection and work your way back from there to the adjuster that is screwed to the boat hull - see if any of that is loose.  Also possible that the slop is in the u-joint in the tilt column, that is harder to see, but if you pull back the rubber boot that is just behind the steering wheel you should be able to see it as you rock the steering wheel.  Lastly it could be the rack itself which is on the back side of the steering column - not sure how you would test that, but I'd make sure that the bolts that hold it on are not loose.