Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Starting to Shop Around

CoMtnBu

Wife has almost given me permission to get a new boat, I've been allowed one "frivolous" purchase with my inheritance, think it might be a newer boat.

When it' all said and done I'll have a budget of around 30k.

Some considerations: Currently have a 98 Sunsetter LX, the wife loves to surf, I surf, wakeboard and still hit up the slalom when the conditions are nice. FYI i skied competitively through college, so I'd be skiing at 32mph. With that said I know I'll be giving up some slalom wake for better surf and wakeboard, along with more modern amenities.

We are looking for the following updates, Tower, PP,

More freeboard. When the wind starts to pick up around here in the afternoon I'd like a little more freeboard.

Does the 02+ VLX have more than I currently have?

Storage, my wife and her friends can't show up for a day on the boat without 3 bags each. I can't stand it, but it's a battle I'm not going to win.

Weight, I see after the 03? LSV or 05 VLX the boats start gaining weight pretty quickly. I figure my 2900lb dry, Sunsetter on trailer is in the ballpark of 4500-5000, so I'd like to stay in the 3500lb dry. I tow in the mountains and I know I can't swing a new truck into the mix. Our 04 Tahoe will be the tow vehicle for any new boat and I don't think she wants much more behind her going up Vail pass.

What else is out there to look at, after years of competition and teaching skiing, I've really only considered the big 3, but open to options.

Been looking around online at 02-04 Vlx's, Not sure I want to step all the way up to an LSV.

I know the 05-08? Vrides are pretty similar boats as well.

Edited by CoMtnBu

05-08 V-ride is pointless; save money and get a mint 01-04 VLX ('01 is the interior update, so don't count it out). You will get a couple small updates with the V-ride; updates that aren't worth the thousands more you will spend. 01-04 are at the bottom of where they will depreciate (or close to it), 05-08 V-rides are not there yet.

Good luck finding a '05 VLX for 30k. You will have to contend with negotiating down to that price to get either higher hours, beat, or low options (and at least 2 of those 3). 35k would get you one a lot easier, and that's a very worthy upgrade over an 01-04.

The bigger boats are obviously another consideration. I haven't researched them as much since the water we boat in 90% of the time has a 22' restriction so I'm not familar with all of the pricing. But the 21' V-drives will have a lot more space than your direct drive.

Well a couple things,

If you wife and you love surfing it's going to be hard to get away from a heavier boat. The hulls basically go like this

99 ish to 04 VLX/Sunnsetter with the wake hull: Great wakeboard wake, decent ski wake, surfing is OK. Weight it going to be around 4000 full loaded boat, 5000ish with trailer. This boat hull became 05-08 Vride.

05-08 Wakesetter VLX: Bigger, heavier. Better wakeboard wake, worse ski wake, good for surfing. Added probably 500 lbs total to the weight. This hull became 09+ Vride.Hard to find 05 VLX around 30k.

09 Wakesetter +: Out of price range

04+ LSV is the same hull I believe. Going to be great for surfing, wakeboarding, not so great for skiing.

With a budget of around 30k a 04 era VLX, or later Vride is about your choice. It's going to be hard to find a newer VLX or VTX in good shape in your price range.

Storage, my wife and her friends can't show up for a day on the boat without 3 bags each. I can't stand it, but it's a battle I'm not going to win.

This never ends, my friend. If you get more storage, they bring more bags.

They love stuff; going back home to crack into mom's house. Lots and Lots of Stuff.

Would it be worth it to up the budget a bit to get into an 05+ VLX. vs 02-04. The budget isn't set in stone, just where I'd like to be.

It's not what she won't let me, I'm trying to be "responsible." If i got rid of the wife, my mother would come back from the grave and then I wouldn't have a wife or money.

I say if the wife will only let you spend $30k of your inheritance then the decision is simple, get rid of the wife

If the inheritance is significant enough, you could get a NEW boat and a NEW wife!! just thinking outside the box!!

ANd it is always easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission!!

Edited by jkendallmsce

Correct me if I'm wrong but in '02 there was an extra seat added on the vlx to make it have true wrap around seating. I'd look for an 02-04 vlx. There is plenty of storage, and room for a decent sized crew. I love the wakes on our 02, and we're just running the 3 stock tanks and wedge, can't comment on the surf wake yet but I'll let you know. There will be a big price jump to go to an 05 or newer vlx. Personally I think the hull of the first vlx is more than enough for most riders.