Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Top speed of yer 'Bu......

CliffB

I was just wondering what others find is their top speed of their Malibu in good conditions (smooth water, no other boats or obstructions around)..... I saw 45 on a top speed run (GPS verified) with my old '89 Skier (5.7l Mercruiser). I'm thinking I may have a speed prop on her as that seems quite fast. That was with a light load of people (less than 400lbs) and very little gear on board. I believe the Mercruiser was turning about 4,300 rpm.

Thanks in advance.

47.6 MPH, on the Perfect Pass GPS.

WIth the Acme 381, boat hit that at about 5400 RPM. With the 1939, hit it right at redline of 5800RPM, sometimes tapping the rev limiter, sometimes not. But the top speed is exactly the same for both, oddly enough. Pulls a lot harder to that top speed with the 1939 though.

06 Vride 1235 prop 43mph 5300 rpms. about 800lb of people and gear 1 surf board and 3 wake boards on tower. One time thing for me don't need to go over 21.6 in my boat. :rockon:

I've never had the boat empty of people and gear and never really stayed into it for long but I can remember seeing 42 mph a few times, I would imagine it would go faster but I can't see the need. There's a 33 ft donzi with twin 572's sitting on the dock at out cabin that I can take whenever I feel like going fast.

Thanks gents. That's helpful information. I'm wondering if I'm getting full throw on the throttle cable as she's turning only about 4,300rpm as I recall.....hhhmmm...I'll check it out. It's Old Skool Carter 4bbl carb and no rev limiter or any such device.

Maybe she has another 5mph in her.

Obviously, top speed is an academic exercise for the most part, and not something that's normally used on the lake. But a top speed run can be a helpful testing exercise to tune for optimal performance throughout the entire range whether it's finding a vibration, choosing a better prop, balancing the weight load, or something as dumb as a throttle cable that's not properly adjusted.....

48mph on gps at 4800rpm with a 515 acme prop. still had a couple extra rpm in it but no need to hit 5000rpm. i've tried it before at its top speed is 48mph