Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel pump, 2004-2006 Malibus

Am I the only one experiencing recurring problems with the in-line fuel pumps

that Indmar was using 2004-2006 (or 2004-2009 Supra/Moomba)?

First one made it through almost six full seasons (mostly pre-ethanol). Second was

defective from factory. Third was defective from factory. Fourth went out with fewer

than 30 hrs. use this season. Now I'm on number five!

Am I just having a run of bad luck, or is this a common issue with these particular pumps?

It seems extraordinarily expensive ($370) for a component of dubious quality, but I am

unaware of any acceptable alternative.

I'd venture to guess the pump is not the problem. But I'm just guessing.

pb

I'm just guessing too, but did you change the filters when you changed the pumps?

I don't think that fuel pumps are a common failure item, at least you don't see many posts about that here. Anyhow, good luck. I hope you find a solution.

To the best of my knowledge, there is only one fuel filter, and its in-line between the tank and the pump. I change it

at the beginning of every season. Plus, yes, each time I've had the boat in for this issue, they have replaced the filter

as well as the pump.

The diagnoses of failed fuel pump have come from two completely different mechanics at two completely different

stores. The first was an on-the-lake non-Malibu dealership (my Malibu dealer is an hour and a half away). The

second time, I took it on in to the Malibu dealership. At both shops, they claim to have checked out the entire system

before ultimately replacing the pump.

Did you already clean the filter screen in the inlet tube of the pump? A partially clogged screen will cause the symptons mentioned. Remove supply hose from bottom of pump, carefully use small screw or something to insert about 1/8" into inlet tube and pull downward whill pressing gently against inner wall of tube. Filter screen should come out rather easily. Clean with solvent such as brake clean and reinstall.

Identical symptoms the past two years, both in August in Texas (so fairly warm even before 9 AM). Finished with morning

ski runs. Boat performed flawlessly. Stopped and docked for breakfast. About an hour later, after pushing off, I turned key

but could not hear pump priming. Turned key on and off several times. Maybe heard the pump prime after a couple of tries.

Kicked the engine over, and it started but immediately stumbled and knocked and shuddered. Pushed in neutral button on

shifter and tried to rev engine without any improvement. Engine died. Opened engine hatch. Searched for anything obvious.

Continued to try to start engine several times over the next thirty minutes without success.

The first time, I towed the boat to on-the-water dealer. Took about an hour. When we arrived, mechanic immediately

jumped on board and gave quick inspection. Pump wouldn't prime with key up. He later called and reported that, if

keyed up multiple times, he could get engine to start, but it would soon die. Pump "not holding pressure at fuel rail."

When all was said and done, he replaced the spark plugs, the fuel filter, and the pump. Shop ticket states: "Replaced

fuel pump. . . Checked the whole fuel system - Good."

Boat ran well for rest of season, but, really, fewer than 5 hours total.

This past spring, on de-winterizing, boat ran fine but pump made strange noise (staccato humming sound), best

heard at idle. I considered returning to mechanic, but, with time, noise dissipated. Boat continued to run fine for

rest of season, with intermittent humming noise from pump mostly noticeable when I was specifically listening for

it, until, again in mid-August, identical symptoms recurred. Boat dead in water again. Towed it this time to boat

ramp and trailered it in to Malibu dealer.

Mechanic at dealership started it and ran it at the shop, at idle with appropriate water source, and couldn't find a

problem. Pump keyed up when it was supposed to and held pressure spot-on. He was initially stumped. He tried

it several more times over the course of two weeks. He reportedly checked the system out thoroughly. No fault

codes found. Finally, he called and suggested a "lake test" was in order.

Boat reportedly faltered on lake test. Shop ticket states: "Found fuel pressure at 30 psi. Replaced pump." No

mention of, or charge for, anything else but fuel filter.

Sounds like you may need a fuel pressure regulator. (The fuel pump isn't what maintains fuel pressure)

pb.

Not disagreeing with you. But, if the fuel pressure regulator were defective, why would changing the fuel pump

fix, at least temporarily (and I'm keeping my fingers crossed here), the problem? Remember, I made it almost a

year (but probably fewer than 25 total hours) without any obvious performance issues since the last fuel pump

was installed.

No, but even though my boat lives at a marina on the lake, I actually use a gas-caddy to fill her, and I

only use Texaco/Chevron, Shell, or, rarely, Exxon. FWIW, I also add Marine STAB-IL to every tank.

The mechanic at my Malibu dealership initially considered bad gas as a possibility since he

couldn't initially reproduce the symptoms. He mentioned something about having the gas analyzed,

but, after our initial conversations, he never brought it up again. I do know, however, that he didn't

mention or charge for emptying the fuel tank, and the gas gauge read pretty close to the same level

when I picked her up as when I'd dropped her off.

Not disagreeing with you. But, if the fuel pressure regulator were defective, why would changing the fuel pump

fix, at least temporarily (and I'm keeping my fingers crossed here), the problem? Remember, I made it almost a

year (but probably fewer than 25 total hours) without any obvious performance issues since the last fuel pump

was installed.

Many things can happen. You have to check the fuel pressure and find out.

I would put a pressure gauge on it and turn the key on. It should prime the line shut the key off and see if the pressure drops. If it dose than you need to take a pair of needle nose and pinch the return line to the tank off and turn the key back on and off than off. If it dose bleed down than the regulator is bad.

Check the voltage at the pump when it draws down on start up. IF you have a bad connection somewhere, you'll overload the motor a bit and eventually burn it out. Also, check the fuse on teh motor (there should be on) and make sure it is the right specified size. One of the mechanics could have put a bigger one in for testing the pump and it still resides giving no protection against over amperage.

• 6 years later...

I know I am pulling up  new post but you guys have always been my best resource.  2004 23 LSV, has been running great, maintained well. Several times this season, he boat has immediately fired right up and  run perfectly, never any hesitation at all even at top speed.  After making a few runs, the boat will not start. Turn over perfectly but fuel pump does not seem the be priming or coming on.  After boat cools dow, it will immediately  fire right up, again , no hesitation at all and run perfectly.

I do not think it is the filter below the pump because when it is running, there is no hesitation or loss of power.

It appears the heat has something to do with it.  Does anyone know if a symptom of a failing  relay will be not working when it is  hot but fine when cooled down, same thing for the fuel pump? I m trying to decide if the issue is with the PCM,relay or most likely just the fuel pump?

Thanks again for your help!

2 hours ago, drjohngober said:

I know I am pulling up  new post but you guys have always been my best resource.  2004 23 LSV, has been running great, maintained well. Several times this season, he boat has immediately fired right up and  run perfectly, never any hesitation at all even at top speed.  After making a few runs, the boat will not start. Turn over perfectly but fuel pump does not seem the be priming or coming on.  After boat cools dow, it will immediately  fire right up, again , no hesitation at all and run perfectly.

I do not think it is the filter below the pump because when it is running, there is no hesitation or loss of power.

It appears the heat has something to do with it.  Does anyone know if a symptom of a failing  relay will be not working when it is  hot but fine when cooled down, same thing for the fuel pump? I m trying to decide if the issue is with the PCM,relay or most likely just the fuel pump?

Thanks again for your help!

What you are describing sounds to me exactly like vapor lock: 

Try pouring water directly onto the fuel pump when it happens next time.

For a permanent fix, I ended up installing a secondary fuel pump upstream from the fuel filter:  https://www.bakesonline.com/fuel-pump-vapor-lock-prevention-kit.html

Edited by srab
  • Like 1
32 minutes ago, drjohngober said:

Thanks but I thought vapor lock did not happen on fuel injected motors?

It does. Happens in the fuel pump... it gets too hot causing the liquid fuel to turn to vapor. That’s why a quick fix is pouring cold water on the pump. Gets it back to a fluid state.

11 minutes ago, drjohngober said:

Thank you. I guess the best option is to replace the Fuel pump? It used to never do this.

Just search vapor lock on this site. Several good ways to fix the issue.