Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereo adds how much value .....

2008vtx

Just wanted to get some opinions on how much if any the stereo adds to the boat . Im looking at a 10 LSV and the guy has a very nice set up probably into it around 10-12k but i think hes over priced by about 10k but seems to really want his money back out of his stereo. I have a VTX that i have probably put the same into but never really planned on getting my money back out of it if sold . So with that said how much should the stereo impact the price of the boat .

Edited by 2008vtx

I think you'd be lucky to get half the value of the stereo back in the sale price. I don't have any hard data to back that up, but that is just my gut feel. I think on the really high end systems (like what you are talking about), you may even see less back. Unless you have a seller that really values a top of the line system, I bet most buyers just like to know it has a stereo. To most buyers, seeing amps and tower speakers would be enough. Most probably don't know the difference or care if they are cheap speakers or Wetsounds on the tower.

Some times I think it is the law of 4s. A guy puts $ 3000 into a stereo and says it's worth $12,000. I see alot of $20,000 boat stereos in their ads and laugh to myself everytime. I think the law of 4s works the other way too. If you put $4000 into your stereo to may see $1000 out of it and only if someone is attracted to your boat because of the stereo. IMHO

• Like 3

It helps to sell the boat. If a buyer is shopping for a boat and found 2 similar boats and one has upgraded stereo and only slightly more $ than the other one, the upgraded stereo will definitely help.

I'm currently shopping for a boat and it drives me crazy when people think they can actually get their money back out of the stereo. This is coming from a guy who had a $2500 sound system in his car the second he turned 16. Dude, it's sunk money, stop being stubborn about one of lifes most ultimate depreciating assets!!! You will see lots of guys try to charge extra for stereos in the ads, but if you monitor the boats that are actually selling, not just the ones with pie in the sky asking prices, you'll see that a stereo is worth about 20% of what dude paid for it.

This is my first boat I have every owned so obviously I have never tried to sell one. I also didn't find any malibu's while shopping that had anywhere near the stereo I have in mine. Knowing that I have put over 8K in my boat for the stereo I would definitely pay more for a boat that already has it. Subtract the value lost on the equipment for sure but If someone wasnt willing to pay me for the value of my stereo I would just remove it and lessen the price. I could also throw in a cheaper system if they wanted it with a stereo. It doesnt sound like you are in the market for a high end stereo so it would make sense that you feel it is overpriced. I personally wouldn't sell my system for a 1/4 return on what I paid and the time and effort I put into it. Good luck though. Keep in mind that if in the future you want a system like that you may want to bargain with him to get it as is to save you the work and headache. Check out the pricing on systems like the one he has and you may feel differently about it. Just my 2 cents.

Claudio

I think it depends on the buyer and the stereo. We bought our boat knowing the stereo needed upgraded. Had the boat been sporting what it has now (or something similar) I would have spent more money.

I think it depends on the setup. A nice setup that isn't overkill will probably net the best money back. A system with a bunch of cheap components may not cost a lot, but adds no value either. Something with 8 REV 10's, 6 amps, 12 inboats, etc. is just overkill to most and hard to recoup the money.

It helps to sell the boat. If a buyer is shopping for a boat and found 2 similar boats and one has upgraded stereo and only slightly more $ than the other one, the upgraded stereo will definitely help.

I would agree with this. It won't help a lot with the price, but it will help with selling the boat.

I always thought of it like putting in a swimming pool, enjoy it while you have it but don't expect to recoup much when you sell.

• Like 2

Knowing that I have put over 8K in my boat for the stereo I would definitely pay more for a boat that already has it.

You must have a special appreciation for boat audio to put $8K into a stereo. I'm shocked you'd put much value in a used stereo already installed. I'd expect guys like you to put in exactly what you want.

No matter how badass the stereo is, I have trouble imagining the resale value being over $1000.

I would agree with this. It won't help a lot with the price, but it will help with selling the boat.

:plus1:

When I bought my boat, there were several boats on the market in the NW. Some had nice systems. Some were stock. I definitely gravitated towards the boats with the nicer systems. The guy that listed mine used to be a member here. He had built a pretty impressive system in the boat & had the boat priced like it. I waited it out & he eventually traded the boat in to a dealer. I bought it for almost $11k less than his asking price.

Then we found an armload of receipts for stereo equipment in the glovebox. :whistle:

I think it's worth maybe $.25 on the dollar retail for the main components, zero for misc parts and zero for labor. So if you paid $3500 for a pair of rev10s and a syn4 installed, that's probably worth an extra $5-800 over a bare tower.

If you are real proud of your stereo or it has value to you, take it out before you sell and hang a set of kmt6s or something on the tower with a cheap amp. That's going to be perfectly acceptable for 97% of buyers.

You must have a special appreciation for boat audio to put $8K into a stereo. I'm shocked you'd put much value in a used stereo already installed. I'd expect guys like you to put in exactly what you want.

No matter how badass the stereo is, I have trouble imagining the resale value being over $1000.

Yes it matters a lot to me. But as I said thats what I put into mine. If I was to run into someone while shopping that had my stereo I was saying that I would put a lot of value in it and pay more for that setup. Granted it would have to be what I wanted for a system. Plus when the wife tells you "I want the loudest system on the lake" you tend to go all out !

:)

Just wanted to get some opinions on how much if any the stereo adds to the boat . Im looking at a 10 LSV and the guy has a very nice set up probably into it around 10-12k but i think hes over priced by about 10k but seems to really want his money back out of his stereo. I have a VTX that i have probably put the same into but never really planned on getting my money back out of it if sold . So with that said how much should the stereo impact the price of the boat .

let him know he can enjoy listening to his killer system all winter long. If anyone is interested in a 10k system in a boat, they'll want it installed under their watch, not an unknown person with unknown skills. Guessing this guy got schooled on installation costs.

To me it depends on the install. If I see random cables and messy wiring to be honest it's a turn off. If it is done really well, neatly, with components that I deem quality (wetsounds,exile, etc) then I am willing to pay slightly more for that boat than one with the stock system. Not much more, because I think I can typically duplicate a system of comparable quality for much less.

I always thought of it like putting in a swimming pool, enjoy it while you have it but don't expect to recoup much when you sell.

That's one of those examples that rings true in some areas and 100% the opposite in others.

There are places where you won't get a dime more (and maybe even less) for having an in-ground pool. Some you will get a little back, in other areas I have seen where you will get over 100% ROI. A number of Florida homes are like that, as everyone wants a pool. Our home is prime property (from a space and value standpoint) for a pool, and our recent apprasial showed we would be about 25k higher with a pool - recent comps in the area reflect that as well.

• 2 weeks later...

A really nice stereo system is like a really nice suit. Once somebody else has it tailored to their shape, and worn it around town, it's really not worth a whole lot to somebody else....

Quality and current gear, you may recoup 40-50% in the sale of the boat. No labor. Old, outdated or undesirable gear you'll get 10-20% if you are lucky.

NOW with that being said, if you part out the quality current gear on craigs or on here, you can get as much as 75% of your money back.

I used my pro 80s for 2 yrs, and sold them for 475 in 1 week on craigs. There is always a demand for high quality gear in good condition.

Edited by nyryan2001