Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tuna or Classic Swoop Tower?

h2oskeer

Will someone please help me with advising which Skylon tower I have? I have e-mailed Skylon twice (once with a photo) and have had no response. Next is calling but thought I would ask you all...I want to get a water ski rack for the tower and am not sure which tower I have.

When I purchased the boat a couple of weeks ago, I was told by the seller it is a "Tuna" tower. But after looking at different images, it might be a Classic Swoop? Don't know. And if you know of a water ski rack that will fit this tower, that advice would also be very much appreciated. I started off in the classifieds asking for the WS rack for the tuna tower then changed it to the swoop tower. Am new to Malibu's and towers.

Thank you everyone!

post-19291-0-84497500-1347544703_thumb.j

@Nitrousbird: Where did you get your bimini? I've a near identical boat/ tower/ speaker setup and your bimini looks 'tighter' than mine.

eBay. Just someone selling some no-name overstock. Got it for $275 shipped last summer. I've been pretty pleased with it; but to get it to clear the speakers to put it up/down I have to undo one of the side screws so one of the legs can swing lower to give me the clearance I need. Adds about 45 seconds extra to the process, otherwise I'd have to mount it lower than I want it. Front straps clip to clamps mounted on the tower, rear straps clip to hooks that are secured by the windshield frame's rear screw, a setup that has worked perfectly while preventing unneeded holes being screwed into the boat and keeps the straps out of the way. I can run top speed (47.6 MPH on the GPS) in the boat with the top up and no issues at all.

Thanks everyone for getting back to me. And thank you also Nitrousbird for the pics! I've been scratching my head because the seller's original paperwork from the dealer indicated it was a Tuna tower...but it didn't look like it after viewing different pics on the internet. You guys rock and I really appreciate your help!

This (my new to me) boat is a 2001 Sunsetter LXI and I'm still pinching myself! Just put a switch and another battery in a couple of days ago, and we're going on our first trip with her next week. And thanks to you guys, I can order a ski rack for the "Swoop" tower with confidence. Is there any brands of racks you guys recommend...or ones I should stay away from? Am new to towers.

Thanks again everyone! :)

So...I was washing the boat yesterday and while wiping down the tower, I see a sticker that says SKYLON "TUNA" TOWER. Wierd!

Someone put the wrong sticker on it, because that's no Tuna!

If you ever intend to put speakers, lights, or a nav light on that tower...good luck, it's a real pain in the a**. Here is the write up on how I did mine.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40017-how-to-wire-a-skylon-swoop-tower-for-speakers-with-pictures/