Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Has anyone else 'warmed up' to the MXZ?

wakeboarder3780

What I mean by this is when the mxz was first released I hated it. I thought it looked ugly, chunky, etc. Wanted nothing to do with it. About a year down the road I've seen more pics of them, seen different color combos, and now with the advent of the 24 mxz around I'm convinced it will have enough rear room in the boat for me which was my biggest gripe about it.

I was just curious if anyone else has "converted" opinions. I was pretty strongly against it. Now I would definitely demo for my next boat and could see myself getting the 24 mxz or another lsv depending on wake preference when I get a pull.

I think that people have certainly warmed up to it in the past year and I think that many more will warm up to it as the years go on.

For the true wakeboarder, it is the ultimate wake throwing machine. The fact that the whole drivers and passengers pods are moved back about 6" really helps the wake become bigger and beefier. A lot of guys that ride are saying that you don't have to put much extra weight in the nose area when you add weight to the rear. On the traditional Malibu's you needed to add in the ration of 60% in the rear 40% in the front

when I first saw it, I was impressed at how Malibu jumped into the picklefork with such authority. And even though they weren't the first to create a picklefork in production, they definitely got it right the first time. With that being said, I liked the look of it before, but now (especially with the release of the 24 MXZ) I am definitely a fan. I am a little upset with the 22 to 24 MXZ as I believe they should've kept the bow and but ALL of the space in the back to get a more "24LSV" feel for the seating in the back area. Regardless with the 24MXZ and surfgate this boat is sure to be a beast! Can't wait until all the full specs and pictures come out and we get to see what people do with their new boats this fall and next year, should be a good time.

I haven't warmed up to them yet. Coming down the water head on at you, they remind me of a late 70's early 80's tri-hull. I'm sure they are very nice boats, but much prefer the look of the VLX/LSV.

• Like 1

I didn't care for the 22' but the 24' looks great. it appears the 24 has more room behind the glass which was one reason i didn't like the 22'. As of right now the 24" may be my next boat in a few years when someone gets sick of one or needs something newer.....

I like both traditional and pickle fork styles. However, in my opinion the MXZ is not the best looking in that category. I think the Tige RZ4 and the Master Crafts X series look much better. The MXZ has too much rounding in the back and from a functional standpoint I really do not see much value over a VLX. Perhaps a pro can appreciate the wake, but after riding behind both, did not notice much difference in wake size and shape.

Edited by Tims

Don't like the look and don't like the fact that the boat is so much heavier (I think it's because all the seats are glassed). I think I'm one of the few people left that actually prefer skiing to wakeboarding. The MXZ is definitely not the boat for me.

I have a family of 5 and we often ride with another family of 5. There is no lack of room on my 22 MXZ for 10 people, I think wanting 2 more feet is really just splitting hairs if youre only talking about cramming people on your boat.

I just spent a day on an MXZ. It trumps my 2010 LSV in every way except for cabin space. I have even come to appreciate the pickle fork look. Value aside, I would trade my LSV for a MXZ in a heartbeat.

We love our MXZ and decided on it for the wake it puts out, not that it's a picklefork. I would not hesitate to recommend any of the Malibu models, but don't see us going back. I'm not sure why some think it feels smaller in the main cabin than a VLX, but I disagree. I think others have warmed up to it, I've been told and read it's the most successful model launch in Malibu history. Anyone looking, our '12 is for sale in classifieds.

I remember when the illusion tower was first released....many didn't like it....then eventually most warmed up to it. I like the conventional bow style but after spending some time in a MXZ it's a sharp boat. The best is we don't have to choose between one or the other, Malibu gives that option. Those coming from Axis still have that option if they move to Malibu line. Can't see a downside with offering both types.

Some will love, some will hate it. That's why it is nice to have the option. I personally love the looks, but hate having people sitting up in the bow. I like to see where I am going without having to look arond people up there. Plus, we run most of the year with the wind deflector in place because of the cool air temps. Would hate to trade cabin space for bow space since no one sits up there.

• Like 1

I hate pickelforks, period. I thought the mxz was ugly when it came out and I think it's still ugly. Houseboats are square, wakeboats are supposed to have a point in the front....only one point!

You are not the only one. the new MXZ 24 is beutiful. the lines are sweet. when it comes to finish, Malibu steped it up with this boat. they have doubled the storage along the sides and the reverse seating is slick. the only issues i have with it is the dash. why with the new X STAR and G23 out there does malibu skimp on a new dash for the mxz? Add the dash out of the new VTX and it would be unstopable.

I love my MXZ and I'll never go back the bow is amazing looking and incredibly comfortable for a guy that's 6'4 unlike any other brands pickle fork four guys my size fit :-)

Always hated pickle forks, didnt really like the 22 but did like the space and considered it. but the spacein the rear was a deal killer. My girls wife and two daughters love riding in the front, but we spend to much time in the rear to get it that small. I was all set for a 13 247 and now the 24 mxz has me waiting to see it.

I DO LOVE THE ICE CHEST IN THE 24MXZ. I mean really malibu, you finally put a real ice chest in a boat.

Always hated pickle forks, didnt really like the 22 but did like the space and considered it. but the spacein the rear was a deal killer. My girls wife and two daughters love riding in the front, but we spend to much time in the rear to get it that small. I was all set for a 13 247 and now the 24 mxz has me waiting to see it.

I DO LOVE THE ICE CHEST IN THE 24MXZ. I mean really malibu, you finally put a real ice chest in a boat.

Small? We ride with a minimum of 10 people and they are quite comfortable in the back of my 22. How is it that small? People prefer riding in the seats facing the wake anyway, thats the only part of my 22 that has a lack of space.