Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

depth gage update

I have been having issues with my depth sensor since the boat was new.

This spring they installed a new sensor and electronics to fix the problem.

It is better, but still fails too often (reverts to 1.2 feet and alarm goes off).

The sensor that was installed is a surface mount - so it "sees" through the hull. They have determined that it might be mounted in too thick of an area of the hull, so they are going to move it for me to an area where the bottom is thinner.

We will be back out in a few weeks, so i will give a status update on if this solves the problem.

The original unit is a thru-hull design (hole in the hull).

It should work fine.....however it is Critical that there is a good seal between the transducer and the hull. It will not work if there is an air gap of any kind between the hull and transducer. It sounds like the 1.2 foot reading is what you get when there is air in the gap. If you have just a little bit of water in the bilge that will actually help the acoustic coupling at the transducer interface.

Inspect the mounting and check that the interface between the hull and transducer is completely sealed - NO air gaps.

John

• 8 months later...

Update. It seems the new transducer and mounting is doing the trick. This Was our second outing and through several depth changes (very shallow 10 ft to 85 feet) it seemed accurate and no fail indications.