Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu VTX Wakeboard Wake

Indyxc

Well,

I've been throwing up the idea of selling my boat (it's actually listed), and one of the boats I am looking at is the malibu Vtx. I don't need a big boat, and I specifically like the 98 inch beam. My boat lift is right around 108 inches, and it's already tight with a 93 inch beam 04 Vlx (7 inches per side!). The 08 era VTX is cheaper than an 08 VLX as well.

Anyway, in my research, I can not find anything related to the actual wakeboard wake of the VTX. No videos, just comparison of the ski wake of the diamond vs wake hull. I won't be skiing at all.

Can someone give me a comparison of how the VTX wake is compared to say the original wakesetter hull or vride? I'm looking at the wake hull with the 1250 lb ballast system. How big is it, steepness, and width?

Thanks

Edited by Indyxc

I dont have any pics for ya handy but you can shape the wake to be anything ya want from a Malibu hull as you have the 4 tank ballast and the wedge. We love our VTX (08) and have not had any complaints from anyone. Some who ride w us occasionally have 21',22' 23' boats of all varieties and love the wake of our boat. Experiment with each rider and set the menu to pump and dump and adjust wegde where ya want it for each rider and your in business. 10 presets you can program. Real nice set up. Will try to find some pics opr take some for ya Thursday.

Its not bad, no VLX but more than adequate for me. The only issue I have is the VTX is very sensitive to the wedge being a small boat and any other boat traffic or waves will start the boat bouncing. We sometimes have to tune the wedge down (less wake) to get it to stop then apply more wedge when the water is smooth again. In my opinion Malibu should not be using the same wedge for the VTX as the bigger boats.

Its not bad, no VLX but more than adequate for me. The only issue I have is the VTX is very sensitive to the wedge being a small boat and any other boat traffic or waves will start the boat bouncing. We sometimes have to tune the wedge down (less wake) to get it to stop then apply more wedge when the water is smooth again. In my opinion Malibu should not be using the same wedge for the VTX as the bigger boats.

Agree 100%. Found this out the hard way. Loaded all the ballast, plus 750's 2/3 full in the rear, plus full wedge. No, no. Bounced around so bad, had to stop. I think with full ballast, a little wedge and 5-6 people in the boat, the wake is pretty good if you charge the wake correctly. It's not an X-Star wake, but it's pretty good!

Thanks for the input guys. I like the VTX mainly for it's beam size, but the bouncing definitely concerns me. On the other hand I don't use the wedge often on my VLX, so not sure I would use it on the VTX. Heck I ride without ballast most of the time. I've found I can do everything trick wise I can without ballast, it just hurts less when I fall.

Can anyone specifically compare the wake to the vride or wakesetter vlx gen 1 hulls?

Thanks for the input guys. I like the VTX mainly for it's beam size, but the bouncing definitely concerns me. On the other hand I don't use the wedge often on my VLX, so not sure I would use it on the VTX. Heck I ride without ballast most of the time. I've found I can do everything trick wise I can without ballast, it just hurts less when I fall.

Can anyone specifically compare the wake to the vride or wakesetter vlx gen 1 hulls?

If you don't use the wedge or ballast, you will be fine with the VTX!

I think the VTX could use more front weight then, perhaps a bow sac to keep the nose down, perhaps this would keep it from bouncing?

Probably, but then you are going to dip the bow more than I already do :(

Good point, never really have an issue iwth the nose but I have to do something the keep this thing from bouncing. I think running minimal wedge 13-20%, 750's half full and a bow sac and the wake should be sick....i hope!

I have a cut diamond hull on my vtx, so don't know if the wake hull would be different. I have found the vtx wake to be wider than my vtx was. It is also not quite as big as the vlx, but does have the same ramp shape. I prefer no wedge, which is how I preferred the vlx as well. Some of the crew prefer the 'sharper' edge given by the wedge.

I haven't really noticed an excess of porpoising. My 01 SS VLX had some real issues with porpoising if there wasn't enough weight in the bow, especially when using the wedge. I think I have only dipped the bow once on the vtx.

Good on ya for not using the wedge, I find there is no ramp or lip without it and therefore cannot launch especially on toe side.

My VTX is extremely sensitive to porpoising like the comments above and find my wife constantly adjusting the wedge to compensate for the bouncing. I am going to load up my bow next year even more to see if that helps. I am pretty disappointed in Malibu for not providing better guidance or design on this one.

I've never had bouncing issues on my VTX.... I rarely use the wedge though. All of our foil riding is done at 22-25 MPH, full ballast, no wedge. We surf with ballast plus wedge. No bouncing then either. I've really only pulled wakeboarders a few times, and used wedge for that, but didn't notice any bouncing then either. I'm not sure why people are having that problem.

I find bouncing only occurs with wedged employed at 50% or greater at wakeboard speeds, we believe it occurs because the wedge Is too large for the VTX hull

Unfortunately the only way to achieve a wakeboard boat like wake ramp (I.e. mastercraft x2) is to engage the wedge at 50% or greater, hence the problem.

Some guys don't care but I have enjoyed the benefits of a crisp ramp from my previous boat and really miss it when i can't achieve it On my VTX because of bouncing.

• 2 months later...

I'm a little late here but what I've heard is that the VLX is superior wakeboard boat as compared to the VTX. I have a VTX wake hull so I can slalom. Works great at 33mph. Never been on VLX. My boat has a 3 ballast system and that's not sufficient for wakesurf. That' s for sure. I bought a 750 sac for that. I may buy another one to get the wake larger for boarding I'm a little disappointed in the boarding. I'm new to this boat and I'm trying to find correct setup for wakeboarding. Dont get me wrong, it's an awesome boat I'm just not dialed in and I blame myself. Never porpoising in VTX. From what I've heard, Id get that VLX if solely wakeboarding.

Edited by bmkelly75
  • 4 months later...

Back to boat shopping.

Looking at a VTX with Bow ballast, and a floating wedge. For the life of me I can't find a decent video of VTX wakeboard wake. Can someone point me on the right direction?

Surf wake looks great, but I would really like the see wakeboard wake.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Check out this video, looks like the Pro Riders are throwing it down behind the VTX... not sure your riding level, but looks like a very nice wakeboard wake in the video. Plus, its probably one of the best crossover boats on the market.

Thanks yeah I've seen that one. I'm looking for a more of a home made video that shows the wake from the boat.

That I can't seem to find.